cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Is Robbing Its Customers Via Microdeposits

Hello.

I recently noticed something strange. When eBay needed to reconfirm my banking information via microdeposits, they deposited a total of $0.08 and then made a withdrawal of $0.09. So, unless I’m missing something, eBay just stole $0.01 from me without my consent.

”Why does that matter? It’s just $0.01…”

Imagine how many customers eBay does this for. It adds up. It’s not about my $0.01, is about how much total money they can steal from all of us.

A quick browse through several posts here showed me that other people have noticed this same discrepancy while verifying their bank information. If you have been affected by this, please let me know how much they took from you below. I am gathering information for a class action lawsuit.

eBay, if you’d like to address this here, I would encourage you to do so.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: eBay Is Robbing Its Customers Via Microdeposits

I've had to do it a couple times and they never withdrew more then they deposited.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@mshav94 wrote:

Hello.

...So, unless I’m missing something....

...other people have noticed this same discrepancy...I am gathering information for a class action lawsuit...

I was just condensing your post into the two lines that matter....

I have no explanation, but I would venture to say you are missing something....

I have not seen a post addressing a discrepancy...(not saying it doesn't exist, but I missed it)...I have seen posts that can't 'find' them.....

keep us posted on your class action......

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Fun to see several eager posts at the ready to defend the eBay corporation. Thanks for your non-contributions.

Here’s an example of a post where people have experienced the same thing: https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payments/Ebay-withdraws-microdeposits/td-p/32804106

My best guess is that it’s either some kind of software/rounding error on eBay’s end or the banks end (i.e. they’re actually depositing $0.0825 cents, not $0.08), or this is intentional negligence. 

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

reading that whole thread debunked most of the "discrepancies"

there was a late addition that accused them of stealing .01

OK...I get it....and I think you are on to something about the "rounding"

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@mshav94 wrote:

Fun to see several eager posts at the ready to defend the eBay corporation. Thanks for your non-contributions.

Here’s an example of a post where people have experienced the same thing: https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payments/Ebay-withdraws-microdeposits/td-p/32804106

My best guess is that it’s either some kind of software/rounding error on eBay’s end or the banks end (i.e. they’re actually depositing $0.0825 cents, not $0.08), or this is intentional negligence. 

As mentioned in that post, there was another deposit made accounting for the $0.01.

Have you checked to see if there was another deposit made on a different day?

Have a great day
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I 100% agree with you.  They deposited $.06 on 2/5/24 and removed $.07 on 2/5/24.  Not sure where to go with this but I agree that I think it's a business practice on X% of accounts.  

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

There was a person at the Phone Company that added a 1 cent charge to each bill and had that amount sent to a special account that was his - over millions of pennies it adds up.  

Message 8 of 8
latest reply