cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very large ebay fee.

I recently sold a graphics card on ebay. the item sold for $328 and had a $13.45 shipping cost. the fees taken off the total were $44 which is NOT 10%, and then the shipping is not part of the fee since they still want 13.45 out of me. is this normal???

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Very large ebay fee.

Yes as a seller our Profit has taken a big hit due to the rising cost of doing business, fee's and rising shipping. Ebay has gotten greedy and then I heard but can't Confirm yet they are making money off of the Shipping just like Amazon does.  I'm still looking into this to find out if it's true or not.  There are other markets to look into.  FaceBook Market is a good one and Local Auctions do good as well.  This will Bite Ebay in the as# as it is doing it to Amazon. Just My Opinion.

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

Ebay has been charging the fvf on shipping for years, why the big surprise? And like most major websites, they charge fvf on the whole transaction, sale price, buyers sales tax, and shipping.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 17 of 23
latest reply

The fees at 12.55% are the same as they have been for 5+ years. 

Before ebay was 10% and Paypal was 2.9%; the 2 combined were 12.9% (when PP was the processor) 

Now ebay just charges 12.55% (MP) ; so .35% less. 

But I guess those running a business don't want to save $. 

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

@sweeetdeals4you wrote:

Yes as a seller our Profit has taken a big hit due to the rising cost of doing business, fee's and rising shipping. Ebay has gotten greedy and then I heard but can't Confirm yet they are making money off of the Shipping just like Amazon does.  I'm still looking into this to find out if it's true or not.  There are other markets to look into.  FaceBook Market is a good one and Local Auctions do good as well.  This will Bite Ebay in the as# as it is doing it to Amazon. Just My Opinion.

@sweeetdeals4you 

You sell in a category that you did NOT have a fee increase when you went into MP.  So I'm unsure as to what you believe Ebay is being "greedy" about.

Ebay is a for profit company, they answer to their shareholders, they exist to make money.

Sellers come here to sell stuff casually or as a regular thing.  All sellers come here to make money, earn a profit, which is no different than what Ebay does.  So if you believe they are greedy because they earn a profit, then we all are greedy because we come here to earn a profit.  You can twist it anyway you need to, but it comes out the same, we are ALL here to make a profit.

The fees in MP have NOT increased overall fees. The following numbers represent those that do not have a store and the fee rate for most common categories [not all].

Fees BEFORE going into MP
10.20% FVF + 2.9% PP fees = 13.10% plus 30 cent per transaction fee.

In MP the fees are:
10.20% FVF + 2.35% money processing fee paid to MP = 12.55% plus a 30 cent per transaction fee.

Starting August 2nd, PayPal is raising their fees, so they will be as follows:
10.20 Ebay FVF + 3.49 PP Fee = 13.69% plus .49 cent Per Transaction fee

PP is apparently offering different fees to different sellers, likely depending on size. From what I've seen it is between 2.59% and 3.49%.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 19 of 23
latest reply

I don't understand why eBay would charge me a fee on the sales tax someone else paid. My state doesn't even have sales tax. I should be able to know the profit I can expect when I list a price without it changing based on what state the buyer is in.

Message 20 of 23
latest reply

So i get Ebay is a Business but they are greedy,  Ebay wants us to offer Free Shipping but that comes at a high price to us sellers, When  the Customer Say's The Item is not as advertise.  Now We as sellers who do use free shipping We lose because Ebay Forces , Yes Forces us to pay the return shipping to get the item back that is in Question of Being Not as Advertised.  But also Ebay Chrages Us Sellers a Fee on Shipping and Tax which Is Wrong and Yes Greedy and Possibly iIlegal.  I'll let the Lawers fig that one out, And they will.  Also With The cost of Merchandise going up and the cost of shipping and Fee's  It makes it harder for small time people to make a profit through Ebay. So I see it as a double edge sward, I have found other markets out there to sell and I can't complain.  I sell local now and i would say ebay gets my crumbs now.  Its funny . It was the Little guys that made ebay and now Ebay is pushing them away and now they keep wanting feedback from us on how to make it a better selling experiance for sellers.  You should of listen to us the first time .

Message 21 of 23
latest reply

First off, you replied to a thread from 3 years ago instead of making your own.  Please don't do this.

eBay clearly lists their fees on the site.  But you need to research them before listing an item so that you know what to expect.  Not liking the fees is not their fault.  You chose to list your item(s) here and agree to the terms of the practices of selling on eBay by doing so.  If you are doing free shipping, bake that into your item selling costs to cover it.  Pretty straight forward.

And what's with all the capitol letters on every other word?  Emphasis?

On a side note, this thread really shows its age.   A GTX 1650 GPU for that kind of money!  lol  Man!

Gator08041971  •  Volunteer Community Mentor 2024
Member of eBay since 2000

Message 22 of 23
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 23 of 23
latest reply