cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managed Payments Phase 2 store subscription fees etc no longer can be preferred payment - problems

There are several issues with the Phase 2 set up (that I unfortunately am in)

Despite what is posted here and on the website, what used to be on invoices will now come out of your checking account with no warning, no invoice, and no ability to use one's "preferred payment method."

eBay has repeatedly said you can use your preferred payment for the invoice.

1. Now some expenses are in the wrong month, not tied to the sale. 

2. Balances going back & forth will need extra accounting to reconcile. You will need to keep a high enough balance in your (probably non-interest bearing) checking account to cover store fees and FedEx/UPS fees that will be yanked out without any invoice or warning.

3. I prefer to keep my expenses that are not tied to a particular sale on my credit card as one entry to the month.

Now its all bolluxed up and will be going forward.

4. Ebay now gets to have its subscription fees coming as cash, yet customers of ours can use whatever method they want, and eBay gets those fees from us with the payment handling fee. If eBay said, you can only pay subscription fees with cash, what would store owners say? Normally you would expect a discount if you cannot pay with a credit card. And I thought Visa/MC did not allow companies to refuse credit card payments for one thing if they accepted it for others.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Managed Payments Phase 2 store subscription fees etc no longer can be preferred payment - proble

We were told that we would be able to pay for shipping labels with a credit card as well- has not happened yet. So I cant get my payouts where i want them- in paypal and I have to transfer $ to paypal to cover shipping label. At least if  could use my credit card, I could get the cashback 

1. Yes  I know i can use pending for labels- I do NOT want ebay accounting for any more than they have to- reports are already far below industry standard and MP is a jumbled mess of holds and processing/ kinda available etc.

2.How can they debit from your account fees for up front ups / fedex that are not charged until they are delivered?- will we have fees removed for " estimated label cost" and then some adjustment 30 days later?- then what? we have to go back months and readjust our accounting records? this is ridiculous.  

In ebays excitement to get their hands on our money upfront they are killing any benefit to using this site over their competitors!

Ebay is eroding any advantage or reason to use the site that they ever had.  Take the worse qualities of your competition and adopt those policies and then get rid of the best reasons people still use the platform for...... Am I missing something in this business model?

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Re: Managed Payments Phase 2 store subscription fees etc no longer can be preferred payment - proble

We were told that we would be able to pay for shipping labels with a credit card as well- has not happened yet.

Is there a reason you cannot use another shipping platform to make your labels and fund it with a cash back credit card?  I am just curious.  Other services such as Pirate Ship can be used and offer the same rates as eBay generally does.  Some can even by synced to populate the tracking number as well.  

Despite what is posted here and on the website, what used to be on invoices will now come out of your checking account with no warning, no invoice, and no ability to use one's "preferred payment method."

Though I may be late to the party, this is the first I have seen of this other than eBay helping themselves to those checking account funds when a MP balance goes negative.  I just assumed that for those sellers the "preferred payment method" was the bank account (silly me).  Sort of figured it was coming sooner or later, though.  I suppose this is so that ebay can avoid 'merchant fees' by accepting c.cards or some such with the move to eventually have no "invoices" for anything.   

@tink012 

@siamjane8 

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

I just scan read your post, so if I address something here not pertinent to it, plz forgive.

I just paid my ebay invoice, with my saved credit card on ebay. This needs to be done before ebay pays it via MP funds.

I pay for all my shipping fees via Paypal from my saved preferred payment method credit card that is on file with PP.  Make sure to choose this method at the bottom of the label page. 

Both of these methods have worked since I started MP in June 2020.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

I just paid my ebay invoice, with my saved credit card on ebay. This needs to be done before ebay pays it via MP funds.

Interesting indeed.  How many hours/days do you have before they hit up the MP account for that invoice?  Why don't they use the credit card on file with eBay from the start?  

@stuff4divas 

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

I could do that for sure but I prefer to keep everything as simple as possible and in one place. That is why I use ebay labels- simplicity and integration. Glad that they added UPS since fedex was horrible with erroneous back charges that fedex and ebay just leave you out to hang on. UPS & USPS has been fine and rates always better than other places. 

Currently I can pay my ebay invoice (including shippingf or fedex/ups with a credit card)

I could keep my paypal balance at zero and use that work around but I always keep business cash flow in paypal- yes that is my choice I know but it will work for some until Phase 2 MP hits.

The way I understand it- ebay will just take all shipping fees and upgrades like they do the fvf now.  Eliminating any advantage we have to use a credit card and eliminating there need to pay cc processing fees.  Again a solid business move for them but its at our expense as usually.   So ebay will receive everything upfront and in CASH 4-8 days before we ever receive anything to our banks ( and we don not even want it in our banks anyway)

I guess this is what happens when you have a board and management of all lawyers instead od of people with actual real retail business experience- the profits are squeezed out of our bottom lines instead of working with us to improve sales and profitability like we are expected to do.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Thank you, @siamjane8  for your reply.  I appreciate you taking the time. 

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@ittybitnot 

I pay it a few days to the day b4 it is due. MP will process 'everything' thru our MP account by default.

The only 2 options to do otherwise, that I know of, is to pay the ebay fees invoice b4 MP pays it and to pay shipping fees by clicking on the "pay with your saved PayPal account' for shipping labels.

Since my PP default payment is my credit card and I don't keep any funds in my PP account, my shipping labels are automatically charged to my cc on file.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

I pay it a few days to the day b4 it is due. MP will process 'everything' thru our MP account by default.

Thank you, @stuff4divas .  So there is indeed no longer a way to set a credit card for "auto pay" of your fees that are still invoiced monthly outside the MP system  such as your monthly store subscription?  If that is the case, when was the option removed to set such an autopayment removed? 

Just want to make sure I understand this correctly, and I appreciate your time. 

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Once one is enrolled into MP, the invoices get paid from your MP account.

If you want that invoice to be paid from the credit card on file with eBay, pay it b4 MP pays it.

No problem 😉

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

My invoice for store fees, etc., is paid from the payment method I've always used, a CC on file, automatic monthly payment. The only thing taken from my pending payments is shipping.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

My invoice for store fees, etc., is paid from the payment method I've always used, a CC on file, automatic monthly payment. The only thing taken from my pending payments is shipping.

That is because you are a Group 1 seller in Managed Payments. The Group 2 Managed Payment sellers will no longer receive an invoice and all fees will be paid for from available funds (eventually all sellers would be in Group 2 format).

Someone asked the question on the Ebay For Business Facebook Group and Ebay CS Mel answered the question detailing Group 1 and Group 2 Managed Payments sellers.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Thank you, readabouthorses, this correct - you cannot pay an invoice ahead of time that you do not receive. As a phase/group 2 seller I cannot pay anything, even an estimate,  to eBay. My preferred payment only is for purchases from other sellers. 
I definitely plan to use other vendors for shipping, which means the theoretical ease of having everything accounted for in one place still isn’t happening. I’m quite annoyed about not paying subscription fee via credit card and about having funds yanked out without warning. eBay seems not to have any flexibility there. You’d think at a minimum we could get a heads up invoice.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

On June 3, at 1 something A.M. eBay sent me a small payout. (I do not sell expensive items.) Later in the day I sold something and I wasn't able to use the funds to pay for a shipping label. I had this happen before, BUT, that time it was because I waited til after 24 hours after the sale to print the shipping label and my funds went to processing at the 24 hour mark. This was NOT the case this time.  Thank goodness I had some money in Paypal. Then I saw something on my seller dashboard that said something about eBay is no longing sending invoices for store fees, and I had balance of NEGATIVE $14 and some change. I figured that they took the entire amount from the sale and deducted it from the $21.95 store fee. But on the 3rd? Why had they not taken the funds earlier on the 3rd?  I had not received ANY information in advance on this "new thing" in messages or email. Then I sold another item on the 4th and went to print the label a few hours later. Again, no access to any funds to print the shipping label. Now it says I'm at a NEGATIVE $21.95.  (All monies are pending.)

I am on hold with eBay right now for a supervisor because the eBay rep, after putting me on hold and looking for the answer to WHAT DATE ARE THEY GOING TO DO THIS EVERY MONTH? She had no answer. She could not find it. So....I await a supervisor hoping I can get an answer.  My debit card was hacked and my bank account is in limbo with a NEGATIVE 82 dollars and I can't do anything about it til it moves from pending to processed. That will probably be Monday. Then I can file a claim. I will not have access to any money for maybe a week and I only have $7 in my paypal account towards any future invoices.  I will still owe eBay $4 and some change and I do not know when they will try and take it from my checking account (if I do not sell anything in the near future.) 

And "I don't have that information" from eBay is NOT going to cut it.  They get away with so much more than any other business does. Employees are full of false info and "I don't knows" here. I can talk to 3 reps about the same issue and get 3 different answers. All wrong. Only supervisors seem to have some answers.

After an hour on hold I got a supervisor. He said it's not a set date that they will start taking the $21.95, but since this month it showed up on the 3rd it should maybe be around the 1st to the 3rd from now on. But no guarantees. And you can NO LONGER PAY YOUR STORE FEES by ANY OTHER OPTION. They come out of your managed payments. No other option exists yet. 

Message 14 of 14
latest reply