cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I refused to accept Managed Payments and left Ebay.

23 Years ago, a friend showed me this new website called Ebay.  I was immediately hooked.  I began buying and selling within weeks. 

Back then, selling was a hassle because getting paid was a hassle.  Then came Paypal.

In my opinion, Paypal was the magic sauce that made Ebay work.  

I sold on and off for the last 23 years.  I retired, and planned on using Ebay as a source of income in my retirement.

Over the recent years, my opinion of Ebay began to decline big time.  

A couple of years ago, they instituted their GOOD TILL CANCELLED for Buy It Now listings.  I sold collectables and that policy KILLED my sales.  I tried to get the policy changed, but Ebay didn't care.  They were MANAGING my sales, and it killed me.

A couple of months ago, I was notified I was being forced into Managed Payments.  I read about the program, and didn't see any benefit for ME.  

I spoke with several dedicated Managed Payments reps, and again, there was no benefit for me as a seller.  I clearly told every rep that the day Ebay forced MP on me was the day I would leave Ebay.

I begged to postpone to a later time.  Covid19 is rampant, and now isn't the time to add insult to injury.  They didn't care.

That day was Sept. 1. 

So, as I sit here, a trusted friend I've had for 23 years is gone.  I removed all my listings, I'm no longer selling on Ebay.

Now, I understand Ebay could care less about me.  That's become obvious over the last several years.

If 10, or 100, or 1000 sellers leave, Ebay won't care.  BUT, if 10,000 or 100,000 leave, at some point, Ebay HAS to care.

I made my statement by leaving, and telling Ebay why I left.  If you feel as I do, make your own statement.  If Ebay is going to force sellers to choose MP, it should be better then Paypal.    

Message 1 of 616
latest reply
615 REPLIES 615

Re: I refused to accept Managed Payments and left Ebay.

Why would GTC make ones sales plummet? I have used it on all of my listings and my sales have gone upconsistently.

Message 2 of 616
latest reply

I am right behind you. Only have a few listings left and once these are gone, or if I have time to re-write them and re-take the pictures, I will also be gone, after 22 years as a seller. Trying to reason with eBay is approximately as effective as trying to stop an outraged elephant bull from stomping you, while you are already on the ground. Talking with employees whose paycheck depends on how successfully they can convince you that everything you are worried about (including your data security in Managed Payment, the delayed pay-outs, the dysfunctional return policies, etc. etc. ) is actually, to your benefit, is a waste of time.

I also agree, it is shameful to do this at a time when everyone is hurting for $$$. eBay's greed is unconscionable, at a time like this. 

I wish you the very best 

PW🐿

Message 3 of 616
latest reply

It depends on what you sell.  I sell mainly guitar stuff and collectables.  If someone doesn't see my listing when listed, after a couple of days, it's on page 7, then 10, then 15 of 5000 items in a category.  Like a Google search, how many people look at page 15.   If what I'm selling is unique and rare, no one would know it's there, so how would they find it, again, when listed or ending.  

My stuff sold when I listed it, and when the listing was ending.   eBay's GTC policy shouldn't be a one size fits all policy.   As the seller, I should be allowed to run my items as I see fit to SELL them.  

Message 4 of 616
latest reply

@kyleespapa wrote:

It depends on what you sell.  I sell mainly guitar stuff and collectables.  If someone doesn't see my listing when listed, after a couple of days, it's on page 7, then 10, then 15 of 5000 items in a category.  Like a Google search, how many people look at page 15.   If what I'm selling is unique and rare, no one would know it's there, so how would they find it, again, when listed or ending.  

My stuff sold when I listed it, and when the listing was ending.   eBay's GTC policy shouldn't be a one size fits all policy.   As the seller, I should be allowed to run my items as I see fit to SELL them.  

If I feel that my listing is not being seen because it is a "stale" GTC I end it, and start new.

It costs no more to end, and relist than to allow it to renew.

Message 5 of 616
latest reply

See,    I don't get it.    I've been selling here for over 20 years and remember when Paypal was new.   

GTC has affected my sales,    Not at all.

Both my accounts have switched to MPs and has affect my sales, not at all.

2020 has been my best year ever.     6 of my best months in 20 years of selling have been in 2020

We have to stay opened minded.    We pay rent to ebay.    We have our jobs and they have theirs.    

We all want to make a profit, and then scream bloody murder if ebay wants to do the same.   

Message 6 of 616
latest reply

auctionpet
Guide

Guess that leaves more sales for the rest of us!

Ebay gains more sellers daily than they lose.  

Things change every day. We either have to adopt or more on. Good Luck!

Message 7 of 616
latest reply

Unfortunately, I know how you feel...........I've done $268,685.60 worth of business over the years with eBay. I was forced into the Managed Payments program also........I was willing to try it.  Now I regret selling as much as I did until this system proved itself out. I should have keep it VERY limited until they proved it would work to my satisfaction.

I sent the info they requested. It was very slow to get started, but was getting paid after about 5 days. I requested daily payouts...... Then they said there was a problem with my bank verification..........the payments continued, so I thought it was some kind of glitch in their system. Buy was I wrong!!!!

Now they are holding over $2500.00 and you can't get any support that has any solutions at all. Tried calling, no way are you going to get through......tried having them call me......late in the evening you get a one ring phone call from eBay then they hang up and you start the process all over again. Not selling anything else here on eBay until this is fixed........and may leave altogether even IF they get this fixed.

I've been doing this dance for over a week now........I'm giving it another day or two then I will contact my buyers and tell them what;s going on. Let them start hassling eBay too...........then just refund their money and no one is happy.....eBay makes a few cents on the listing instead of hundreds of dollars in sales percentages.

I don't think the stock holders will be too happy after enough of this happens. The stock prices have been unstable for the last couple of weeks. I think it's due to so many people being forced into this Managed Payment mess they've made that it's affecting investments now. I know I will be selling my stock this week for sure!  Made me a nice little profit this last couple of months! But it's time to get out before the stock collapses.

Message 8 of 616
latest reply

I called Ebay and they told me exactly that, GTC won't affect my sales.  So, over a 4 week span, I ended listings and relisted.  My sales directly corresponded to my relisting's.   I called Ebay back, and showed them the results of my experiment.  They agreed that I did increase my sales, but didn't care.  

I'm sorry, but you don't get it.  It should be MY option on how I run my sales.   I shouldn't have to manually end and relist.  

My Ebay store was set up with very detailed categories.  My business plan was to have items relist and end every day.  Someone would see my new listings, then visit my store and easily find similar items. 

With GTC, I didn't get the store visits and my sales plummeted.   Again, it should be my option on how I list my items.  

If it doesn't affect your sales, I'm happy for you.  But by falling in line, and accepting MP, even though there is no comparison to Paypal, you're setting yourself for the next Ebay mandate.   And this time, it might affect YOU.  

Message 9 of 616
latest reply

The reason Ebay is unique is because buyers can literally find anything here.  Sellers like me search the woodwork and find and list unique, one of a kind items. 

You and I aren't in competition, and saying that me leaving  "Guess that leaves more sales for the rest of us!"

No it doesn't, we don't sell the same items.  However, as sellers like me leave Ebay, buyers have less reason to visit Ebay, and that does affect all sellers.  

"Ebay gains more sellers daily than they lose."  I have clue where you got this?  I didn't formally resign from Ebay, as far as they know, I'm still a seller.  I did this post with the hope that Ebay will realize that sellers are leaving, but they would never post how many sellers are no longer listing.   

Things do change every day.  But if sellers roll over and accept Ebay changes, MP, even if it's clearly worse then the current, Paypal, what'll be the next change Ebay forces on sellers.  Next time it might affect YOU.    

Message 10 of 616
latest reply

I get people leaving - if eBay isn't right for you, you move on.  However, I don't understand this bizarre call for others to follow you.  It seems petty.  

You've been selling on eBay for over twenty years.  Instead of feeling blessed that you've had a good source of either side or primary income over more than two decades, you are upset because eBay doesn't tailor their programs to you.  

Regarding MP, I don't really get hung up on whether it is better or worse than PayPal.  MP is here, so I might as well make the best of it.  After being in it for just one week, I don't mind it.  Actually, there are some definite benefits and some definite detriments, but I plan on focusing on what I can do to remediate, through my own management of my accounts, those detriments.  

Just like moving from money order to PayPal, auctions to fixed price listings, offers, etc., eBay can and will change.  Do nothing, and eBay will fade away.  They have to change.  They'll make some mistakes along the way, but that is to be expected.  If they don't try anything, there will be A LOT of us that will be wondering why eBay is so stuck in the past.  

Message 11 of 616
latest reply

First of all the old adage is "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I too have been selling on Ebay for nearly 20 years. One thing you can rest assured of, is that 2 or 3 time a year eBay will change the rules. You can also rest assured that every time they change the rules, it is to squeeze more money out of the sellers who make up their business. I started giving up on eBay a few years ago, and with every new seller update that they squeeze down our throats, I lower my number of listings. I have moved on to another online sales platform, and when my current eBay store subscription runs out, I'm leaving for good. Good luck making any money on here.

Message 12 of 616
latest reply

Best of luck to you!  For me, every time someone changes the rules - eBay, my employer, etc., I try to look at it through the now-state lens.  I was selling twenty years ago - little stuff.  Sure, eBay was better for me in regards to fees, number of customers to sellers, the rush of the auctions driving up prices.  Let's not forget the great ability to put almost all of our profits in shipping and handling, avoiding those eBay fees!  If I compare today to twenty years ago, I'll be annoyed.  If I take whatever eBay is offering as a fresh offer, then I can decide if it is worth it for me.  If it is, I'm happy.  If it isn't, I go somewhere else.  

Message 13 of 616
latest reply

Thanks. I make a lot of money on here. No reason to leave. Just adapt as best you can.

Message 14 of 616
latest reply

Why is it all about you?  Without buyers, there is no you (as a seller).  How about thinking about the buyer's needs so you can stay in business?  It is laughable to think that Ebay is out to destroy your business that they depend on so much for success.   Giving buyers more options to pay besides Paypal is better for sellers.  GTC listings have nothing to do with reduced sales, in fact GTC listings save sellers time and work.

Long-time stubborn sellers who don't like change are not going to survive in e-commerce give more opportunity to those sellers here who adapt to change for the better.

Message 15 of 616
latest reply