cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay's Personal Information Request????

I use to enjoy selling on Ebay and had respect for them, but no longer!!  Now it looks like we will have to pay tax on personal items we sell.  Ebay has so much personal information on each seller.  They have my name, address, phone, cc info, bank info, SSAN, DOB and now they want my Driver License Info  What is next?  Now Ebay has threatened me with suspension and have frozen my money until I enter my Driver License Info.  It is so sad what has happened to Ebay and our Country.  We are being Controlled by a Corrupt Government!  If America does not wake up, it will be the end of America as we know it!!!

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Ebay's Personal Information Request????

They need to confirm your identity so they can send payments to your bank account. Its simple really,if you want to sell here, provide it..if not, move along. As far as the taxes go, you should have been filing them on your Ebay sales all along..its nothing new.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

No one is forcing you to sell here, however if you do, those are the rules to play, this is nothing new and has been around for some time, is just that it has become mandatory. If you want to lay low, not provide info and pay taxes on the sale, perhaps doing this in other mediums where there is no digital tracking that can be traced back to you might be the way to go. 

As for our country, well, there are certainly issues, but eBay is not the solution for all of them. 

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

You've always has to pay tax on "personal items".  This is nothing new.

You don't know this?  You don't know how managed payments works?

You've been here 20+ years and have nearly 300 items listed and nearly 3000 feedback.

As a proud American citizen, you have the right to sell on ebay and follow their rules -or- not.

God bless America!

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Op has certainly sold a lot of 'personal items'. It always surprises me how many people are unable to adapt to any change in life, without kicking and screaming, and lots of foot stomping. I see it in my own family and friends. As for me..I just go with the flow..save myself a lot of stress that way.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

@dreamen wrote:

I use to enjoy selling on Ebay and had respect for them, but no longer!!  Now it looks like we will have to pay tax on personal items we sell.  Ebay has so much personal information on each seller.  They have my name, address, phone, cc info, bank info, SSAN, DOB and now they want my Driver License Info  What is next?  Now Ebay has threatened me with suspension and have frozen my money until I enter my Driver License Info.  It is so sad what has happened to Ebay and our Country.  We are being Controlled by a Corrupt Government!  If America does not wake up, it will be the end of America as we know it!!!

@dreamen 

E-Bay and other online e-tailers are doing as required.  Any site you go to, to sell, has these requirements - minus your personal website.

The revenue/income was always potentially taxable - reporting thresholds are all that has changed.

If this is a "change" for you, i.e. you did not report the revenue previously - adapt and embrace the compliance, sales tracking, etc vs blaming etc.

You've worked hard to build your account, why would you flame out over something that you truly have not fully researched or implemented?

Good luck as you work to decide next steps.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Nonsense.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Until you comply with eBay, you will not be paid for anything you sell. You might consider ending all your listings until you do.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@bonjourami wrote:

Op has certainly sold a lot of 'personal items'...

Isn't it something?  OP has been a member for 24 years, and has had at least 4,000 sales.  But s/he is still just selling off "personal items."  I envy these people who have homes the size of warehouses and have had the money, for years, to purchase thousands and thousands of "personal items" that, obviously, become almost instantly mere discards.   I've never had an income like that! 

=

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

What is sad to me is that an apparent tax evader thinks we should care who they respect or believe is corrupt.

We’ve always been expected to pay taxes on personal items we’ve sold … for a profit.

Patriots pay taxes (they owe)!

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Your Driver License, Social Security #, Name & Address are on NUMEROUS servers throughout the country.

Every Bank, Insurance Co. (Med, Dental, Life, Auto), Credit Cards and all 3 Credit Bureaus of which one was hacked and info leaked by the 10's of Millions a few years ago. 

So, just give the info so you can get paid. 

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@dreamen wrote:

Now it looks like we will have to pay tax on personal items we sell. 

You've always been required to report your income, it's nothing new.

Have a great day
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

eBay and other sites are required to comply with many regulations.  "know your customer" is one.

eBay can not be complacent with being in compliance. Sometimes it seems that they may be going beyond what is needed to verify who we are, but some have been required to provide a drivers license, or such. Others have not been required.

Hard to tell what ticks that extra box that causes the extra ID to be needed, but it is what it is. We need to comply, or end the eBay selling experience.  Individual choice. Do what works for you.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply