cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DANGER!!! Protect your bank account and personal data while you can!!!

Everyone should delete their eBay accounts to make eBay realize that they've made a BIG mistake with their new policy!!!

Credit cards can be hacked. But at least they have a LIMIT, and in case of a problem, you can block them instantly!

But a bank mandate that gives some company the power to collect money from your bank account can only be cancelled by that company - NOT YOU.

This means that once you give eBay that authorization, there's no means no prevent them taking money from you unless you close your bank account - and even then, God knows!!!

Not to mention possible security breaches, hackers, and the like, that can get hold of all your identity details - including a photo of your identity card with your photo!!!

The ONLY way to make eBay step back is to delete your eBay account, which I will be doing in the next few days!!!

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: DANGER!!! Protect your bank account and personal data while you can!!!

@audiovac2011 wrote:

The ONLY way to make eBay step back is to delete your eBay account, which I will be doing in the next few days!!!

In a few days, I will check  to see whether eBay stepped back from Managed Payments because you closed your account. 

But in the meantime, I have packages to mail. 

Message 16 of 31
latest reply

Security concerns as well as accounting ease was one reason I opened a separate bank account to handle just the eBay transactions and I keep the balance in that account to a minimum. They cannot take what is not there. 

Any site can be hacked and information stolen it's the internet and your information is out there in more than one place. As far as a photo I am not sure any hacker would want a picture of my ugly mug. 

Message 17 of 31
latest reply

Thought this was an urgent post, someone had been hacked.

We need a mass hysteria filter or alert mechanism - this post is not a critical alert.

Yesterday it was Help Me in giant red letters like they were trapped in a phone booth and today Danger, like someone released snakes in a hallway.

I kinda need my account, so deleting for me, won't be an option, at least today.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 18 of 31
latest reply

You don't have to delete your account; just do as many of us have chosen to do, and just stop selling here. You can keep the account open and never give them any of that info.

Message 19 of 31
latest reply

"eBay, Amazon, Etsy, all the marketplaces have similar managed payment programs for sellers."

That is patently false. There are more than one or two sales sites that still allow Paypal, cash, checks, etc.

Will that change? Very possibly. Do those sites have the same traffic as the big players? Nope.

But they do exist, sales are made on them, and to tell people they do not exist is an untruth.

Message 20 of 31
latest reply

I haven't been trapped in any phone booths lately -- in fact, I haven't even seen any phone booths lately -- Whew!

And I just looked outside my office into the hallway, and NO snakes! Wow, how cool!!

So just like you, I think just for today I'll save for another day any hysteria I could conceive of. I have a couple sales to process anyway, so I think I'll get to it. And then, I'll do my monthly login to my checking account and glow a little bit when I see all the Ebay deposits...

Cheers, Duffy

Message 21 of 31
latest reply

This reminds me of the old TV series Lost in Space, when the robot would say, "DANGER!! DANGER!! Will Robinson!!" The difference back then is that there really was danger approaching. Anybody remember that?

I hope I'm not dating myself by showing I'll be turning 71 in September...

Cheers, Duffy

Message 22 of 31
latest reply

Yes, everyone should do as the OP stated. After all, who needs to sell and make money anyway?

I mean- hot dogs for Monday dinner and Hot Dog soup for Tuesday should work, right? 

Message 23 of 31
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

You know what amuses me?  

I use nothing but a desktop computer, Linux OS, wired ethernet, and all manner of script-blockers and the like for internet use, etc.  I won't touch wi-fi.  I won't own a smart-phone.  I have no social media accounts.  Heck, I won't have a store "loyalty card."  On and on.  I came out of the Unix world, where security is prime, and worked for years in a field that required great attention to privacy and security.

But all these hair afire people I come across, in meltdown over things routine, are still using Microsoft or Apple products, downloading every app offered to them onto their phones, using public wi-fi, tweeting and instagramming, and I don't know what all. 

Go figure.

=

Well I'm not quite as careful as you... I still use Wifi and Microsoft junk... but I don't consider myself a fool either, I don't go downloading and installing random programs and/or apps. Also do not use social media.

There's a saying: A little common sense goes a long way.

Message 24 of 31
latest reply

@forward-motion wrote:

Did you know that the dentist can extract secrets from your head through your teeth?  That will make you think twice before you do that!! 

Not if I'm wearing my tin foil hat when I go in!

Message 25 of 31
latest reply

@twiggs55 wrote:

Just get a Chime card and use that as your primary account. That's what I did, and it works great. And payout is fast. I haven't had any problems with Managed Payments since doing this, works out just fine for me

Thanks for mentioning Chime. I had an account with Simple and would transfer money out every couple of days so eBay wouldn't have my main bank account. It worked great. Then BBVA bought Simple. BBVA charges $3 to transfer money! So now I've got a bunch of money there because I'm too cheap to pay the $3. And to top it all off, PNB just bought BBVA and who knows what fees they will have. I just opened a Chime account and changed my ebay preferences to have my payouts go there.

Message 26 of 31
latest reply

You're a Casual Seller, what makes you think that sellers who depend on eBay for a living are going to give up their lively hood because you don't like Management Payments.

"Those who enter the arena unarmed or unprepared are quickly dispatched."
Message 27 of 31
latest reply

@tdumonde2014 wrote:

You're a Casual Seller, what makes you think that sellers who depend on eBay for a living are going to give up their lively hood because you don't like Management Payments.

OP is registered in Portugal. (Home of fine cork.) Posting history here consists of all of two posts with the OP running in circles and shrieking that the sky is falling. Somehow I do not think Ebay is really going to miss that one person. Way too excitable.

Message 28 of 31
latest reply

b47ac8d4f6f7f1fdb2c03c6ee6252c68c863ee7a.gif

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 29 of 31
latest reply

I'm in MP and I don't even have a credit card. They didn't ask for one. Guess I'll keep my account.

*whew*

Message 30 of 31
latest reply