cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Washington Diplomatic Medal (a restrike)

not sure how to roll this one out...any opinions?  restrike 009.JPGrestrike 001.JPGrestrike 002.JPGrestrike 003.JPGrestrike 006.JPGrestrike 007.JPGrestrike 008.JPG

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Washington Diplomatic Medal (a restrike)

Restrike. Would use year of issue, say 2015 Monnaie De Paris Restrike of 1792 Diplomatic Medal PCGS Gem Proof DCAM 2 Oz. Gold. Something like that. Beautiful piece and good luck.

"Those who enter the arena unarmed or unprepared are quickly dispatched."
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

thanks so much, tdumonde2014!   Now if I just had the guts to list it...it could be a great deal, I could find just the right buyer who would be happy to pay me a couple hundo over melt (after fees and shipping).

But, I am leary about goin' eBay with it.  It may just be me, I just have shied away from selling anything here much over 1K.  I know I can send it registered and so the shipping could be worked out fine- I think anyways.  But with the small risk of other issues is what bothers me.   

I have a few weeks to thing about it.  Everything I buy over the counter at my shop has to be reported and held for 2 weeks.    I could check out Heritage, send them the pics or just a description and get their input.  I think there were 10,000 of them made so it may not go much over melt however and then I would also be looking at a 3 month wait or so to go that route as y'all probably know.  

Decisions, decisions.. there is also some Union gold restrikes and Krugerrand proof anniversary gold.   Pandas too, mostly 1/2 oz so those I think I am comfortable w/ going eBay with them.   I will put them up with make an offer I think slightly higher than I need and then I can preview the potential buyer's fb.  anyways, sorry to bore anyone with the details here, but if you have any other ideas let me know.    My goal is really not to have to melt the items.   Or sell them to someone who would most likely do that.   Story of my life as a pm dealer, however it is a fun problem to have for the most part.   However, I don't work fast enough and end up saving the wrong stuff sometimes and then have to move out perfectly good items for the cash flow.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

ccc 011.JPGccc 012.JPGccc 014.JPGccc 015.JPGccc 016.JPGccc 017.JPGccc 019.JPGccc 020.JPGccc 021.JPGccc 022.JPG

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

there are 8 of the those pandas, other sets too- 4 coin Krugerrand, 6 coin panda (prestige with a silver oval snake coin)  Babe Ruth HOF silver/ $5 gold set (that one no prob).  over 15 oz gold.

Lot of silver too:) ~now that is in my wheelhouse! 

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

The coat of arms on the Washington piece is really beautiful.  opinion.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Ebay fees will eat up any profit in this deal. Best bet would probably be to wait until there is a big coin show in your area, one that attracts dealers from across the country. One of the big dealers in gold will pay a decent price for them. 

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Hey JR! Long time....

Do you still have your B&M shop?

Personally, I would never sell any of those items on eBay any more.

It's not like it used to be here

I won't risk anything that I don't want to lose....

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Yes, that is a 'worrisome' thing!  Every time Heron orders some thing

from Estonia, or Latvia, or Lithuania, or Czech Republic, or Serbia, he

worrys about receiving the item.  However, so far so good.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

I mentioned these to a dealer at a coin show today. He said that counterfeits have been reported. Fake medals, fake COI, fake slabs. 

You could probably confirm the serial numbers with PCGS and NGC. 

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Take it to a coin shop that has one of those fancy x-ray machine that can identify the metal composition.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

thanks, all y'all for the input~   It took me awhile to respond cuz I was off for a week for a long needed break w/ the fam to Fort Myers.  Rested my achin' back/neck in the pool and sea.  Worked wonders!!   anyways, I have been looking some more and probably will not risk the 2 oz on eBay, not worth the upside on it to take the risk.

yup, Sean, I still have the B&M I run for my dad, still slavin' away.   I am trying to make the most of it thou', I have cut myself too close over the years,   so am trying to actually make it work a little smoother if that is possible.  'Ole habits die hard so it remains to be seen.     Right now my back room looks like "hoarders are us", silverplate and junk jewelry all over the place, so much stuff to list, so little time, buying much more than I can get rid of fast enough.

Stupid to complain about too much stuff tho, have to figure out how to sell it in big lots maybe to the 'middle man??  That is always the dilemma however, since to get the best money out of some items it is sort of best to sell eaches.  

anyways, I should maybe put some of the gold in my case  (we call it that, I mean the glass shelves we have in a tiny showroom) I just shy away from that since I get losers who somehow get into my shop at night just to look around and leave-climbing out the hole they came in at whether it is a busted window or a literal hole in the wall!!  We have bullet proof glass, security since we have to record stuff when we buy it and so on, but I still just hate to have my cases loaded with gold esp.-   so I may end up selling some of the items to the regulars, they may end up getting some fabulous looking bullion-so to speak.  

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

you never want to leave high-value items in the cases overnight...

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

yes, of course!   I put stuff away in the safes, which have leads to them as well as being locked at night.  Plus we have motion detectors & video cams.  BUT for some reason they don't realize anything of any large value is locked up at night and they break in, mess up the place by busting a window or saws all'ing the wall from the hallway and then leave empty handed.

Maybe if it happens again -God forbid, they will take a few pieces of silver plate with them on the way out.  They could get busted having a tea party in the back of their car- that would be sort of funny.   

so anyways, I think I just will end up trying to unload the gold this week, the market has been so volatile lately, may have to take the money and move on.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply