cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Small Date Lincoln Cents

Hello, fellow coin collectors! I have been fascinated with coin varieties for a while now, and thought I would share some with you. Maybe this will help someone who is confused with Small Date and Large Date Lincoln cents  and of course I always enjoy showing off my coins. 😄

Let's get started. There are small date and large dates of the following Lincoln cents:

1960 & 1960-D

1970-S

1974, 1974-D & 1974-S (this one isn't collected much - I am not going to talk about this one)

1982 & 1982-D

Thanks to the Lincoln Cents Resource because I borrowed some of their ways to tell the differences.

First, I am going to talk about 1960.

Here is how to spot this one:

1) The tail of the 6 in the large date is much longer than on the small date.

2) The top of the 1 in the small date is level with the top of the 9. In the large date the top of the 1 is below the top of the 9.

3) The  0 is perfectly round for the large date. The small date 0 is "skinnier".

There are some ways to spot it. Below are some photos of the coins:

1960 Small date1960 Small date1960 Large Date1960 Large Date1960-D Small Date1960-D Small Date1960-D Large Date1960-D Large DatePROOF 1960 Small DatePROOF 1960 Small DatePROOF 1960 Large DatePROOF 1960 Large Date

Next is the 1970-S cent. This is probably by far the most difficult to spot. 

Here are some ways to spot it:

1) The date (1970) is aligned perfectly even...this can be confusing though, so I recommend checking the other ways too.

2) The tail of the 9 is bent and pointing straight at the 7.

3) LIBERTY is mushy and weak. If you look at my pics below (sorry they aren't the best), you can see this easily.

Here are photos of this variety:

1970-S Small Date1970-S Small Date1970-S Large Date1970-S Large DatePROOF 1970-S Large DatePROOF 1970-S Large DatePROOF 1970-S Small DatePROOF 1970-S Small DateI think this is a CAM or DCAM but it did not get that attribuation. Oh well.I think this is a CAM or DCAM but it did not get that attribuation. Oh well.

Lastly is the 1982 variety. This one is fairly simple to spot.

The 7 Business Strike Varieties:

• 1982 Large Date Copper
  • 1982 Large Date Copper plated Zinc
  • 1982 Small Date Copper
  • 1982 Small Date Copper plated Zinc
  • 1982 D Large Date Copper
  • 1982 D Large Date Copper plated Zinc
  • 1982 D Small Date Copper plated Zinc
  •  

There is also a 1982-S large date that is copper.

The term copper, bronze and brass are all used interchangeably, but not necessarily correctly,
to describe our cents.  I will use the word "copper".    Remember, all cents before 1982 are
solid copper and cents after 1982 are copper-coated zinc.  Cents of 1982 are the only ones in
question.
First of all, 1982 cents can be Philadelphia mint (no mintmark) or Denver mint (D mintmark).   
Secondly, 1982 cents can be a large date or a small date.  One of the best ways to distinguish
is to look at the number "2" in the date.   The large date "2" has a thick, fat base with no
curve.  The small date "2" has a delicate base with a slow curve at it's base.
Thirdly, the solid copper cents weigh approximately 3 grams, while the copper-coated zinc
ones weigh 2.5 grams.  For this you would need a scale to weigh the difference.  

There is also a 1982-D small date copper cent, but there are only a few known and this one is very, very rare. I do not have one. 🙂

Here are photos of all the varieties including the 1982-S proof:

1982 Large Date Copper1982 Large Date Copper1982 Small Date Copper1982 Small Date Copper1982 Large Date Zinc1982 Large Date Zinc1982 Small Date Zinc1982 Small Date Zinc1982-D Large Date Copper1982-D Large Date Copper1982-D Large Date Zinc1982-D Large Date Zinc1982-D Small Date Zinc1982-D Small Date ZincPROOF 1982-S (copper, large date)PROOF 1982-S (copper, large date)Hope this helps someone or increases your knowledge about these coins. I know it really helped me by writing this. 🙂

Good luck and happy collecting!

https://bio.link/langs
Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Small Date Lincoln Cents

very nice...

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Small Date Lincoln Cents

3 de Febrero 2019:  This is an excellent tutorial!  Although Heron does

not collect Lincoln Cent pieces, the informacion is very good.  Heron's

only comentario would be:  Heron likes the larger dates because he

can see them better.   Regardos.   

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Small Date Lincoln Cents

I have two 1982DMent Penny's  one is 3.5gr and one is 3.1grams can anyone tell me about them 

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Small Date Lincoln Cents

Kudos on your tutorial & thanks for contributing to the C&PM Discussion Board.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Small Date Lincoln Cents

The copper alloy 1982-D cent weighs 3.11 grams.

The copper-plated zinc 1982-D cent weighs 2.5 grams. There are 2 varieties:  a large date, and a small date.

There were a combined total of 6,012,989,368 coins mented.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Small Date Lincoln Cents

That was a lot of cents Amigo!   Many of which get thrown on the ground here

in Kalifornia.  Heron does not even bother to pick them up now-a-days.  No

cents hurting the back for an almost worthless piece of metal...!

(A folded $5 note in the parking lot at the local super-Mercado was found

by Alt Heron.  He scooped that rascal up before another person in the 

parking lot got close to it.  $5 is really worth the effort.  Helped pay for

one a Heron's 'finds' on eBay.   Cant remember which one now but it was

a 'goodie'.  An addition to the different issuing entities of HR Empire).

Regardos.  

Message 7 of 7
latest reply