cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slabbed coins by INB

OK.  I know (now) that INB grades aren't reliable.  But, I took a flyer and bought a lot of 100 slabbed coins for $200 that are "graded" by INB. 

My real question is: 

Would it be better to:
  1. Keep them slabbed and tagged and sell them as INB graded?
  2. Keep them slabbed and remove the INB grading label (if possible without destroying the slab) and sell them as ungraded?
  3. or
  4. Remove them from the slabs and sell them as loose coins?

I haven't received them yet, so I don't know how hard it would be to remove the label or unslab them.
Also, I'm just getting started in this, and was unaware of INB's reputation when I bought them, but have learned a lot from this community discussion!
Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Message 1 of 48
latest reply
47 REPLIES 47

Re: Slabbed coins by INB

Use them to practice your grading skills. Take them to a show and compare them to the same coin from NGC and PCGS. If the coin appears to match the NGC or PCGS version and is graded within a point or two either way, keep it. If the coin is clearly not graded correctly (I guess it will be over-graded more than under-graded) then do with it what you think is best. I would say depending on the coin and the rarity submit it for grading to see what it actually grades if somewhat valuable. If it is just a common date, high mintage, recently minted coin - spend it! For example, I have searched 30 rolls of nickels from two banks in my home town and have yet to find a 2009 nickel! I have had no luck in change nor in the rolls. They minted several million of the normal circulation coins plus ones with a satin finish. I thought I would find one by now but apparently they are being hoarded! If you have a 2009 United States nickel - you may want to submit it if high grade or raw sell it if  a lower grade.

Message 46 of 48
latest reply

A G@@gle search does not yield their web-site, only a lot of chatter about their grading. Maybe doing business by another moniker these days. I believe their slabs snapped together.

"When in doubt, bust 'em out!"

(I think that phrase was coined by I-Hate-Slabs, a former poster here on the C&PM from the state of Washington.)

Message 47 of 48
latest reply

@b-17blinker wrote:

A G@@gle search does not yield their web-site, only a lot of chatter about their grading. Maybe doing business by another moniker these days. I believe their slabs snapped together.

"When in doubt, bust 'em out!"

(I think that phrase was coined by I-Hate-Slabs, a former poster here on the C&PM from the state of Washington.)

they were similar to the one still in business with the two gold-colored stickers... basically pocket change with fantasy grades...

Message 48 of 48
latest reply