cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does eBay allow price gouging products that are readily available a third less on the market?

I am disgusted that eBay is allowing people to sell products that are available on people can easily purchase at multiple locations for about a third of the price, at times they are pricing it higher. Why is this allowed?! I know that people should do their research before purchasing the items but at times where prices for everything has surged I don’t understand how a company can stand behind people who continue to use this platform rip off their customers and there is nothing that the can do about it because the seller will not allow returns. I am considering moving my business elsewhere… does anyone feel this way and how can eBay make itself a more reliable platform?

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Why does eBay allow price gouging products that are readily available a third less on the market

It's only 'price gouging' if it's an item 'required to survive'. 

Otherwise, it's just a free marketplace country- called Capitalism. Car Dealerships have a big white sticker right next to the $30k Manufacturers Sticker, that says 'premium $10k'- selling that car for $40k. Happens all the time.

I can 'sell' something that sells for $10, for $100 if someone is willing to buy it for $100. Because that person didn't 'shop' around first, isn't my, or any sellers problem.

And lastly, there are over 1 BILLION listings on ebay with MILLIONS of listings being bought, sold and listed every hour. There is NO WAY to have any 'human' watch this and again, this is a capitalistic website in a capitalistic world, so the 'venue' that someone advertises on has NOTHING to do with it. 

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

Re: Why does eBay allow price gouging products that are readily available a third less on the market

Since your not being specific..I can only guess.

Price gouging pertains to masks, hand sanitizer, covid tests and any other items needed during a crisis.

If it's any other type of item like clothing, shoes, jewelry, make up, car parts and Shipping ...it's not gouging its just business. Sellers can charge whatever they like for their items. It's up to the buyer to decide who to buy from. eBay does not police its 20 billion sellers, so feel free to report such listing if you feel that they are price gouging. 

Price gouging is a term that refers to the practice of raising the price of goods, services, or commodities, to an unreasonable or unfair level. Such an increase in price is often a result of a sudden increase of demand and shortage of goods, such as in the event of a natural disaster or other crisis, and it is illegal in most jurisdictions.

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

Prices for anything vary everywhere............. 

Dollar Stores

W Mart

Convenience stores

Drug Stores..........

Target, etc.

Try pricing 100 aspirin at any one of those places........plus their online sites............plus all the other on line sites..........

Buyers have a CHOICE and if they buy the highest priced item.........it's on them.......  Unless you want to "control" all prices everywhere, all the time.........

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

its called the free enterprise system

I know many watch sellers who can out sell me and get more money for the same product

its called salesmanship or talking a good game

some sellers are just better than other sellers so why should they not get  more money if they can

some sellers have the merchandise languish because of high prices, other sellers can just sell for more money.

if you can sell a widget for more than others can then more power to you

@krysiak8 

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 5 of 27
latest reply

The same reason ebay allows you to undercut the "price gougers".

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

Some people don’t live in the city.

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 7 of 27
latest reply

@krysiak8 wrote:

I am disgusted that eBay is allowing people to sell products that are available on people can easily purchase at multiple locations for about a third of the price.

If they are readily available anywhere you look at 1/3 the cost, why are you even worrying about it? Just go buy if for 1/3 the cost.

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

I buy through auctions for resale. I may have a different price point than someone thats just wanting to get rid of an item out of thier closet. 

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

@dakotasnowshine wrote:

The same reason ebay allows you to undercut the "price gougers".

I love it when I list something and everyone else has ridiculously high prices.

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

If products are available for a third of the price elsewhere, and price is your only consideration I suggest you go elsewhere to buy.  

I'm pretty sure savvy buyers compare prices and take into consideration eBay's  MBG might make it worthwhile to buy here.  I do.

Shipping cost can be a factor in the price.  If you buy from a seller located in a far away state it could cost more than a product shipped from nearby.  Type of shipping matters, too. Economy shipping is cheaper than expedited shipping.  You can't  really compare aples to oranges.

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

IMO, the price gougers lose out when I can sell the same item at a lesser price.  I regularly scout Ebay to see what prices are on certain items and then I price them less.  I am still making a decent profit and am confident I am being fair with my customers.

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

I very recently saw a non-essential, decorative item listed that I had actually purchased outside of ebay, years ago, from a popular retailer.  It is a discontinued metal item, not large, lightweight, would cost about $15-$20 to ship to most locations in the US, and there is nothing that would make it valuable, rare or hard to find. It is now marked up at an almost 2,000% increase.   Then I saw another listing for a similar item from the same popular retailer, discontinued from that store but nothing rare or special, and is actually something that is mass produced and can be found at most home stores.  The actual item is used as there are visible signs of wear, but seller says it's new, and that the original price was originally $2100.  That is a flat out LIE because I remember the price also being right around $50.  The store name is what might appeal to certain buyers and I realize that some are looking for that item they passed up on years ago.  But man I just wish I could warn people.  They just don't know, so they'll continue to purchase.  Or, I hope they don't.

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

if they're smart they research the item before they buy it. Some don't.  You can't fix stupid.

Some sellers also jack the price up when it goes out of stock  to a price you'd be stupid to pay. Those are place holder prices. They're  hoping the high price will discourage someone from buying it while it's  out of stock. When it goes back in stock they lower the price,

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

@krysiak8 

To look at this from your point of view, are you not "price gouging" when you're selling  Sisley BLACK ROSE Cream Mask 2 fl oz/60ml *SEALED* ~ BNWOB for more than many of the other sellers of the identical item? Out of all the listings (sorted by highest price first) of the identical item, yours is up there near the top, that is among the highest prices for the same item.

Of course, that's your right! And it's the right of other sellers to charge whatever they want for their items and buyers have the right to do their comparison shopping and choose the seller from whom they want to purchase.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 15 of 27
latest reply