cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What would you do about a seller who persists in listing an item that is not correctly described?

I just had unpleasant communications with a seller who ignores my suggestion to revise his listing as the item is not what the listing title indicates. I included attachments of the correct item and he poo-poohed my knowledge and sounded stupid as he doesn't care if the item is returned by buyers who realize that they received the wrong item, although it's always the buyer's responsibility. Because of the seller's obnoxious behavior I tried to report the seller but this is what I get from ebay: 

"File a report

We are not able to process your message now.Please contact eBay Customer Service."

I'm not going to bother but some stupid buyer is going to have to deal with returns, etc., and the seller does not accept returns.

I'm going to divorce myself from this but I am interested in your opinions for reference.

Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

What would you do about a seller who persists in listing an item that is not correctly described?

I'm going to divorce myself from this but I am interested in your opinions for reference.

@hunkadinka 

For what it's worth, I don't make suggestions for others to revise their listings. But that's just me.

Message 2 of 47
latest reply

Why get so worked up about this? If your not buying it then what is the big deal? Message them once about the error and that is good enough. I have had people do the same thing and THEY were wrong too.....I have also thanked people for pointing out errors. You did your job now let it go....

Message 3 of 47
latest reply

Nobody likes to be told how to run their business so you cannot expect a cordial reply if you try to do so.

I see an incorrect listing, I just pass it by.   MYOB is the word of the day.

As for other buyers being misled, the ebay MBG works quite well so they will not get hurt.

Message 4 of 47
latest reply

Walk away

Message 5 of 47
latest reply

So if you made an egregious error in a listing you would not want a concerned person to alert you?

Message 6 of 47
latest reply

Don’t worry yourself over how someone else runs their business. 

Message 7 of 47
latest reply

There was one time I pointed out a mistake on a very new sellers listing for a piece of artwork for which I personally know the artist. It was well received and the error corrected.  But for almost anything else I remind myself "not my circus" and get back to my own business.

Message 8 of 47
latest reply

I am in the market for the item but the seller used the incorrect model number so I did what I thought was right. I am not worked up about this it was just a helpful message.

Message 9 of 47
latest reply

I see this same thing  All.  The.  Time.  with needlework items.   Packaged kits that clearly say "crewel embroidery" get listed as "needlepoint."  And all kinds of other yarn-and-thread related crafts.   

It hasn't helped that twice in my memory the needlework experts (hahahahahahah!!)  at eBay have decided that a hand-painted needlepoint canvas, loosely woven of heavily starched cotton threads, is "plastic canvas."   Plastic canvas literally is a sheet of plastic with square spaces punched out of it in a regular order.  And eBay has changed the categories to "plastic canvas" overnight.   

Sometimes it is lack of interest by the sellers, but sometimes it is just plain ignorance -- in my opinion.   One seller, apparently tasked with trying to unload Great Aunt Gladys's sewing room, listed two embroidery kits, one in a round floral design, like a wreath, and the other one a bird, like an owl.   I ordered the kit to make the wreath, and I received the kit to make an owl.   Even if he didn't do embroidery, how difficult was it for him to distinguish a floral wreath from a feathery owl?   Sure, I told the seller he sent me the wrong thing, but I had already paid for the wreath.  At least he had them listed correctly.

Now I simply shake my head and skip right over those listings.   I also sell in those categories.   I would not tell a seller his listing was wrong, though.    

Message 10 of 47
latest reply

If you know they are wrong then let them know.

@mtgraves7984 

Message 11 of 47
latest reply

Run away...

@dabunk2000 

Message 12 of 47
latest reply

Well said!

@hunkadinka 

This seller probably just wants to scam ppl. 

Message 13 of 47
latest reply

@hunkadinka wrote:

So if you made an egregious error in a listing you would not want a concerned person to alert you?

Certainly I do..........but not everyone thinks the same way you/I do.  I sent a correction to one that had obviously done  a sell similar on a pair of S & P shakers.  Title said one pattern, description another.......got a "thanks"...........but the listing has never been corrected........ 

So I walked away.......no point in bugging them..........

Message 14 of 47
latest reply

We are all in this together...

@mkaczorsee 

Message 15 of 47
latest reply