cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Top Rated Plus status and unpaid item strikes

I have worked very hard for 11 years to achieve 100% positive feedback, I have an ebay store and I am ranked as a "top rated plus" seller.

I recently bid on an item and was the only bidder so I won the auction.  When I went to the listing after winning the auction, I noticed that the seller does not accept returns.  I was not comfortable with this since the photos of the item (old US coin) were dark and I could not

distinguish if there were flaws in the surface.  I messaged the seller and requested a cancellation of the order for that reason.  The seller responded that if I get the item and I am not happy with the condition I can just resell it or dump it, he doesn't care.  But he refuses to agree to the cancellation.  I have blocked this buyer for future transactions but when I don't pay him for this item I will receive an unpaid item strike from ebay.  Does 1 unpaid item strike disqualify me from being a Top Rated Plus seller?  And do unpaid item strikes erase after a period of time or are them permanent?  If I am going to lose my Top Rated Seller Plus status by not paying this arrogant seller, I will have to buy the item and deal with the consequences but I would rather not.  Any advice?

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Top Rated Plus status and unpaid item strikes

Not paying for an item has nothing to do with your TRS status.

You do get an unpaid item strike on your buying status.  

Posting ID
Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Depends on how much it was....I wouldn't risk getting a ding or bad feedback for something that is inexpensive, it's not worth it

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

@gsmcoins09  even if sellers have a no returns policy, it is irrelevant if the item rec'd is not as described, damaged, wrong item sent, etc.

I would go ahead and purchase it and if it is not as described, open a return this item case.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

As a seller yourself you must understand that a no returns policy is trumped by eBay's money back guarantee. If the coins arrive not in the condition described, which seems to be your concern, then simply open an item not as described case. Seller has no choice in the matter, either they refund you or they accept the return. You have nothing to lose in this case, you are only following the policies on this platform. You obviously want the coins so move forward with your purchase. Most likely you'll be happy, and all worry will be for nothing. Best of luck to you....

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

If you win an auction that has been on auction for many days you should pay for it.  I don't think he is an "arrogant seller". You sell coins...and can resell it. Might not be the item for a profit for resale you wanted and you probably was going to sell it anyway after buying it to make a profit off of this seller. You will get an unpaid strike for not paying and 2 unpaid strikes means a lot of sellers will have you blocked "auto" due to 2 unpaid strikes.

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

@gsmcoins09 

Since you are a long time Ebay member, you should be fully aware of the 30 day Ebay Money Back Guarantee and how buyers can use it even if a seller does not accept returns.

The seller had the right to refuse to cancel your purchase.

Unpaid item 'strikes" (or whatever they call them now) remain on your buying record for 12 months.

TWO or more unpaid item "strikes" may get you blocked by many sellers who have their buyer requirements set to "Block buyers who caused cancellations of 2 unpaid purchases within 12 month(s)."

If the pictures did not show the clarity you needed, it would have been best to not place a bid.

*lady*madonna*
Volunteer Ebay Community Mentor

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

Hi @gsmcoins09 

Two things:

• The seller's 'no return' policy was in the listing before you placed your bid.
  • You are fully protected if the item turns out to be 'not as described' in any way.

I can think of no reason why you shouldn't pay for the item you won.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

I'm trying to wrap my head around you declaring a seller "arrogant" when their return policy was clearly visible before you made the purchase. Sure, the seller could just agree to cancel. But wouldn't you be just a little miffed if one of your buyers said "Hey, I know this was clearly stated in the listing, and as an experienced eBayer there's no excuse for my missing it. But I'm not paying so you need to cancel"? Sure, you might have chosen to accept the request and cancel. But your seller has every right to refuse. It hardly qualities as arrogant.

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

Your question has been pretty much covered by the other posters.

I have a question.  Why do you buy, and sell on the same account? Especially the same type of items that you sell.

Buying and selling on the same account can be problematic. It makes it difficult to leave feedback that is less than positive when it is deserved without the possibility of the seller "getting even" by purchasing from you to retaliate. (not the case with this purchase as the seller deserves no bad feedback, but could apply to other situations) 

Could even be less than a bad feedback situation. Make a purchase, and request a return...............  a seller could then purchase just to do the same to you.

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

Really? You’re a seller and didn’t pay for an item because the seller doesn’t accept returns? 
You do know that no returns doesn’t mean no refunds right? 
eBays Money Back Guarantee will trump any no returns policy a seller has when it comes to not as described, missing parts or pieces or damaged items. No returns policy is only good for remorse returns. 
So go ahead and pay for your auction win and breathe easy. You have MBG on your side.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

Thank you to all for your responses and advice.  I went ahead and purchased the item and as you all have suggested, if the item arrives and is not as described, I will open a case for a refund regardless of the seller's no return policy.  I would rather keep my account clean from strikes if possible.  Best wishes.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

@atlasesattic wrote:

Depends on how much it was....I wouldn't risk getting a ding or bad feedback for something that is inexpensive, it's not worth it

A buyer can not receive negative feedback from a seller.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 13 of 19
latest reply

A seller's "no returns" stance does not matter if a buyer received an item that's not as described.  That buyer can simply open an item not as described case.

Respectfully, if you have been here 11 years, it seems like you would be aware of that.  

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

Everyone is giving you great advice. Only one thing I want to add. Please ask questions!! Don't buy with the idea that 'if it doesn't work out then I'll just return it for free' when you could ask for details beforehand - returns cost good sellers money and time - it is not free and it is not fair to foist that cost onto a seller when you could have asked for the clarity you wanted. If you ask questions and the seller is anything but excited to communicate with you, then you don't want to buy from them anyway. Of course, if you ask your questions and the item is not as stated, then you deserve a return for refund and having asked questions before bidding/purchasing makes your case stronger in case eBay has to review the situation and choose a side.

Message 15 of 19
latest reply