eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
Community Member

How can I tell if my teddy bear is a Steiff

Hi. I'm hoping someone can help me. I bought a vintage mohair (I believe) teddy bear with a metal button in his ear. I don't think it's a Steiff button but maybe someone can help me identify what kind of bear he is. The little round button is made of I believe bronze or copper (probably copper) and the indentations on the button are 5 dots in a V formation 3 on the right side and two on the left. His face looks like a Steiff and he is jointed. He measures about 16 inches long. Can anyone help? Thanks so much. Anne
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: How can I tell if my teddy bear is a Steiff

in reply to lovetoteach53
Could you please post a photograph?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Thanks for your reply. I'm having trouble attaching photos to this site. I'm not as computer/camera savy as I would like to be. Would it be possible to send them to your email and you could tell me what you think? Thanks so much. Anne
Please use plain text.
Community Member

It took me forever to learn how to post a picture.
If you open a photobucket account, the key is to click on the third link and copy it, then come back to the board and 'paste'. After you do this, you'll see a bunch of type, and think that you failed. However, if you click on Preview, then you'll see the photo, and not all the type. You can use the forth link to, if you don't want people to access all of your photobucket pictures, but it will be a link instead of a photo, and many people, for a variety of reasons can not open links. I do not have the sortiment- which is the end all of Steiff reference books, so it would be best if you could post your picture here.

I actually learned how to post from the antique board- they have this thread there with intensive instructions, that's always getting bumped to the top for new people.

When you are learning how to post pictures, without someone by your side, it is very, very difficult. But once you figure it out, it's as easy as ABC. Good luck!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

I listed the bear with quite a few pictures. I would be interested in hearing what you think. Thanks, Anne
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Thank you so much for your tips. I'm going to try them right out. Thanks again! Anne
Please use plain text.
dasbullihaus
Community Member

The button is weird but the bear just does not seem to have the "look".
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Thanks for the reply. Have you ever seen a button like this? Any idea where I can go to try to identify it if it's not a Steiff?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

He is not a Steiff. I do not recognize his button, but it is not either a Steiff button or a Steiff bear. Good luck!
Please use plain text.
bethy56
Community Member

My first thought when I looked at your bear is that it is a Vermont Teddy Bear - the silhouette is very much the same, the shape of the head, ear placement and shape, nose, arms and legs, they look VERY much the same to me - I am not aware of Vermont Teddy Bears using buttons in the ear but the shape of the marks could very well be a V for Vermont - it does not look at all like mohair but acrylic plush to me - you might email the Vermont Teddy Bear company - they have a website - and ask them about the button - but it sure looks like one of their bears -
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Thanks so much for the thought. I checked with Vermont Teddy Bear and they said it is not their bear. I will keep on searching. Thanks again.
Please use plain text.