cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay fees are getting too expensive!!!

maddog1273
Adventurer
I just sold a few items and noticed eBay took 12% of my total....Plus PayPal (Who is owned by eBay) took another 3%......
This is ridiculous!!!!
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/fees.html

Is there any way to get these fees lowered for future listings. Like starting a store OR am I doing something wrong????

Any suggestions would be appreciated.....
Message 1 of 438
latest reply
437 REPLIES 437

Re: eBay fees are getting too expensive!!!

Is it a sellers fault for looking into the fees before hand...yes but it is highly unethical to operate this way and although it is fulling within there rights. Its bad business. They are loosing a huge number or sellers and buyers. Theres no examples of greed that end well. 

Message 421 of 438
latest reply

@brau0318 wrote:

Is it a sellers fault for looking into the fees before hand...yes but it is highly unethical to operate this way and although it is fulling within there rights. Its bad business. They are loosing a huge number or sellers and buyers. Theres no examples of greed that end well. 

Necro thread.

And fees are well-documented. But you are correct on one thing: it’s the seller’s fault for not looking into fees.

Message 422 of 438
latest reply

eBay took almost 25% of my sale. Fees like reserve pricing should NOT be continuous charged if the item did not sell!!
Message 423 of 438
latest reply

With the fee on shipping, and small dollar items selling, yes, it can be 20% or more of selling price.

There used to be a few little perks. Three years ago, there were 100 free listings a month (1/2 auction). There was also a paypal credit card that gave you a small percentage back. And shipping was cheaper, and therefore ebay's cut of that.  And if you bought something, you got a bigger percentage of ebay bucks.

now, you will have to open a micro store to get that many listings(8$, I think)

This is a very old thread. 

If you want to see something interesting, go back and randomly click on sellers names.

You will find many if not most gone.

Selling on ebay is the hardest money we have ever made.

Most of the options appear to be.....hate to say it, because we are hanging in there, but options appear to be, don't sell on ebay.

Message 424 of 438
latest reply

@mazumaswrote:
eBay took almost 25% of my sale. Fees like reserve pricing should NOT be continuous charged if the item did not sell!!

The purpose of a reserve is to protect you from having to sell your item for too low a price. It worked. Want to avoid the fee? Stop using reserves, and raise your starting bid. 

Message 425 of 438
latest reply

You have obviously never bothered to check into the traffic of your site, unless you are a 1 in 1000000 ebay store your posted item most likely isn't even being seen by more than a few dozen people, unless you have a highly sought after item, which they sell pretty quick no matter where you choose to sell. I tested over 200 items with 20% ad boost and still saw next to no traffic on a lot of stuff, and the ones that did have traffic weren't really that much...likely, more people will be at a normal auction than will view your item on ebay

Message 426 of 438
latest reply

I just got robbed too. 10% is what I got charged or $90 for two ...ucking items. I am done with eBay for good. Secondly the entire eBay site is so outdated in terms of usability / looks. Integration to UPS was a nightmare, setting up an account to get $20 discount took 2 calls to UPS and whoppinh 1.5 hours. What a horrible experience all the way around.... And yes I haven't even checked what Paypal charged me.... Amazon for all buys for now on and craigslist (or anything else) for all sales.

Message 427 of 438
latest reply

Image result for violin smiley

Image result for whambulance

So you listed items for sale using the eBay platform without knowing what the selling fees were?  

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 428 of 438
latest reply

This is madness. What is the justification of 12% final value fee for cd's?

Message 429 of 438
latest reply

Just sold my camera and between ebay and paypal, I feel like I just got robbed! 

OMFG! this is the last time I am selling on ebay for sure!

There has to be a better way to sell witout greedy **bleep**s getting their hands on my money...

Message 430 of 438
latest reply

I completely agree.  My plan is to stop selling on ebay and use other free methods to sale stuff.  It's ridiculous how they continue to take more and more money from the consumer.  This ebayer is done.  

Message 431 of 438
latest reply

I've sold everything I've ever listed on Craigslist , 5 Miles or Offerup in the DFW area and pocketed 100% of my sale price. These alternatives to eBay at no cost work very well in large metropolitan areas.  I can see how they might not be as effective in a rural area and eBay would be a better choice. . I no longer use eBay to sell but do make purchases from eBay.

Message 432 of 438
latest reply

I see you wrote this post 9 years ago now. I'm surprised ebay still has people that sell on eBay. I think the only people that make money on ebay must be professional sales people that have some vendor deal with eBay because for the average layman that lists something on ebay the fees and hassle with shipping is not at all worth it. I only do facebook marketplace and Nextdoor app anymore to sell things myself. 

Message 433 of 438
latest reply

Wrong. I sell here and make money, I seldom ever do less than doubling my money, and often make up to 10 times my investement. Of course, some of what I sell, I am the manufacturer of, but still. It IS possible to be profitable here. Most of my guitar parts are around 10 dollars and I NEVER fail to double my money, even after fees. However, it's not as easy as it used to be. I now buy shipping supplies, and anything else I can in bulk, because those savings from buying in bulk are just free money by the time you sell through it all.
Message 434 of 438
latest reply

...and who are you? 

@billy_biggle_fan wrote:
15% is a lot better than the 35% our local auction house would charge. Plus you get a wider audience on eBay.

Having a store only affects the insertion fees for fixed price items, not the final value fee or the PayPal fee. You can get your PayPal fees lower by signing up for a business account and doing several thousand dollars a month in payments.

Message 435 of 438
latest reply