cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for Advice - Sold an iPad 3 and Seller Wants a Return

Just a quick intro... I don't sell on ebay that often and never really had an issue before.  This year I updated my kid's two iPad 3.  They were both in good condition and I reset them both with the same  process, etc.  They both have sold and I'm only having issues with 1 buyer.   The issue is the buyer is claiming it's PIN locked (which is possible) and I gave her the PINs for the iPads (initially goofed with a 6 digit PIN vs. the older 4 digit PIN).  I also gave info on how to do a  a PIN reset/restore to factory defaults using iTunes.  The buyer filed a "item damaged and asked for a refund".   The deadline to "take action" is by Dec 31, 2019 and there was a "no returns" policy on the sale. 

Now, I totally get being frustrated and not wanting to deal with any of this.   The issue I'm having is that the buyer quite responding at all to anything.  I've even offered (I think correctly) to get the iPad back reset it and send it back to her.  But it's been several days with no response since she asked for a refund.   

My questions to the community are below.

1. What's the best course of action to handle this?   
  2. If she does want a refund, what's the "best" way to handle that without having other problems?  

I'd much better loose a few $ in shipping vs. the iPad that I can resell to someone else.   

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

The buyer can always trump your no return policy w/ an Item Not as Described.

You need to take action in the time specified or you'll be without your money as well as your ipad.

Approve the return. Once it's returned, refund. Then resell.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Respond to the the request to return for refund. Since they switched to item not described you will need to provide a return shipping label. You can use eBay return label if available. The buyer will have 5 days to ship it back to you. Once received, refund.

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

I'd much better loose a few $ in shipping vs. the iPad that I can resell to someone else.   

You don't want ebay to step in and help the buyer. Buyer will get to keep the item and your money.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

switched to item not described 

How do you tell?  Near as I can figure on the request, it's for a refund/return.   In the comments, they state it's not usable due to the PIN lock.  

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

I sent the offer for them to send the iPad, I'd reset the PIN and send it back.  I haven't heard back from the buyer yet on this.   Is there a time-limit for them to respond by (I can't seem to find this through search)?  If they decline, I'll just issue the refund/return authorization.  

Mainly, this thread was a question on things to watch out for. 

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

If you don’t tell them to return for refund by your deadline Dec 31st eBay will refund for you and let them keep it and you will get a defect.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

I don’t have that option until the buyer responds to the offer.  It only says waiting and that I should hear from them buyer soon.  

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@erwap3 wrote:
switched to item not described 

How do you tell?  Near as I can figure on the request, it's for a refund/return.   In the comments, they state it's not usable due to the PIN lock.  

Because you said they filed for item damaged. Which means it wasn’t as described vs buyer remorse. Your no return policy only covers remorse, but they claimed damaged.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Here's the update.

So I accepted the return and provided a shipping label.    The buyer was supposed to ship by Jan 7, 2020.  It's no Jan 9, 2020 and they haven't shipped it.    

From what I can tell, eBay gives the buyer 30 days before they automatically close the request?  

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

You can call eBay today and let them know the buyer hasn’t sent the item back before the deadline and have the case closed in your favor.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply