cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop Sniping!

chris.nall25
Enthusiast
I just recently started my eBay business and along with all the research I've been doing about buyer trends etc... I've noticed this idea of sniping and sniping services essentially nulling the point of an auction. Can we suggest eBay institute a system change if so where do we do that? My suggestion would be any bid placed within the last minute automatically extends the auction by 1 minute. This would allow the person willing to pay the most actually won the auction. Can you imagine going to a live auction where the auctioneer held a stop watch and whoever blurted out the loudest in the last 2 seconds won? No of course not, why should eBay be any different. eBay and sellers would make more money, The buyer who wants it the most gets it. Seems like a win win to me. What are your thoughts?
Message 1 of 265
latest reply
264 REPLIES 264

Re: Stop Sniping!

I What are your thoughts?

My thoughts are thus: What do you care as long as people are bidding - whether it be at the last second or the first second? My concern is that they stop bidding . . . period.
Sniper services allow people to leave a bid and then forget about it. If they didn't leave a sniper bid, they might just forget about it and not bid at all. I had an item go up $2500 in the last 3 seconds because of sniper bids. I didn't complain about them using a sniper service and neither should you.
P.S. - I'd like to hear what some of the "buyer trends" are.
Message 121 of 265
latest reply

op,

Stop Sniveling!

I am a Bomb Technician
If you see me running, try to keep up! Photobucket

Message 122 of 265
latest reply

Hey Big Gun........how ya bin !

Ummm, the OP posted this Mar 16 2009.....& with only 3 posts I highly doubt they've come back to read this thread.

They may still be sniveling though...:^O

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Message 123 of 265
latest reply

for bobham....

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 124 of 265
latest reply

I love snipe bidding...its so fun

Me too!

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 125 of 265
latest reply

honakerhouse
Enthusiast

Well, I am surprised that last minute bidding has a negative connotation and even a name like "sniping".  I have been buying for 10 years or more, and I have learned to watch all auctions I am bidding on in the last few minutes, and I often place my last bid with 10 seconds on the clock.  I think this DOES assure that the person who wants it the most and is willing to pay the most does  win the auction, especially since we can use proxy bidding to bid our maximum up front.  Those who go back in the last minutes are the serious buyers, once in a while I get beat out when I might have paid more, but that is all part of the auction process, it HAS to end sometime.

I guess that makes me a "sniper" and if a seller doesn't like it, I will be most happy to spend my money elsewhere.

Best of luck, April H.

My "A" key is broken so if my posts re missing some "A"s plese ber with me -lol
Message 126 of 265
latest reply

I don't particularly care (as a seller) how an auction is won, as long as the transaction is successful. As a buyer, yeah, sniping does get annoying.

Agree; I don't care at all how an auction is won (except of course shill bidding.)  Not only that, inless you want to proxy bid I think it's the smartest way to bid as long as you stick to your guns & don't go over the limit you set for yourself. There is nothing illegal about it. It's used all the times in auction houses. It's fun, it's a buzz and you should try it.

Message 127 of 265
latest reply

umm..I wrote the above post

Message 128 of 265
latest reply

As a Seller, I would just be happy that my item Sold.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Toy: 1996 Adamas 1881 ;  photo d3c27a4e-2de6-48e4-8a38-73242748826d_zpsbb3k8gvk.jpg
Message 129 of 265
latest reply

I snip and think it's ok whether I'm a buyer or a seller.  I've seen auctions go higher many times because of sniper bids.  I just wish I had more bids on my auctions; I don't care how they bid, just so they pay when they win.

Message 130 of 265
latest reply

I've heard about that snipe-ware but I like to use my own timing and I think 2.5 seconds is the closest snipe I've had.

You can still get fantasitc deals here or pay rediculous prices. It just takes patience to troll the listings and then stick to your 'budget'.

Message 131 of 265
latest reply

1. As whatever auction best bid wins.

2. What are you proposing is a mix of live auction and

time auction.Why do that? Why wait until the end of an

auction(last seconds) to then extend it? Why not do

that from the beginning? Set a date and time when the

auction starts and the auction ends when nobody bids

more?

Bottom line:

A live auction is a live auction and a time auction is a time

auction.Whoever bids more wins.

Message 132 of 265
latest reply

I've heard about that snipe-ware but I like to use my own timing and I think 2.5 seconds is the closest snipe I've had.

You can still get fantasitc deals here or pay rediculous prices. It just takes patience to troll the listings and then stick to your 'budget'.

I use Gixen> http://www.gixen.com/index.php

Message 133 of 265
latest reply

If they want to get rid of the "nibiots" as I call them, they need to limit the number of bids on an item over a span of time. For instance, no more than 3 bids per 3 hour period. THEN I might consider proxy bidding my highest bid early on in the auction and hoping for the best.

This might keep some folks from just avoiding ebay, as I do often when making new purchases, simply because I don't want to deal with the "nibiots". In the end, that might end up being a benefit to the sellers. Because as a seller I'd rather sell 3 items for $35 than 1 or 2 at $35.08.

As it stands now, especially with computer related items, I almost always get outbid on items I proxy bid, no matter the price. In fact, I've been outbid more times than I can count by fools willing to pay MORE than they can buy it for on Amzn.

I know this because when I rarely do proxy bid on a new item, I bid the best price I can get it for elsewhere. I figure if I can get a deal, great, but if not I'll just buy it from the web store.

Remember, some folks treat ebay like a sport to be won. When I was a seller, before this place turned into Feebay, I loved them. As a buyer, I hope their children never meet my children, increasing the danger of diving into their murky gene pool. Where I come from, which is a position of rational thought and above average intelligence, he who spends the least wins the game. Winning by paying the most for an item that can be had from multiple sources for less is a trophy I'd rather not have on my mantel.

Message 134 of 265
latest reply

kali-the-pup
Thrill-Seeker

bigballoopa, your reply to OMA was uncalled for,

he did not levy an insult to you. You'll get farther

here being polite, as opposed to a bigballapoo.

Have a nice day. 😉

Message 135 of 265
latest reply