cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contact from other ebay IDs after a sale to scam sending item elsewhere

My first post here, I tried searching for this problem but didn't find anything.

I recently sold a relatively high priced buy it now electronics item, fairly quickly. Even so, it generated a lot of views, and 4 watchers. Payment was immediate and the buyer had a good feedback record. Almost immediately I started receiving emails from other ebay IDs, through ebay in my message box, with the subject heading of my listing. When the first one came across I didn't really take note of the sender ID and thought it was the actual buyer. Well, it was very bad spelling, grammar, etc, requesting I send it to a new address. I then cross checked and saw that it wasn't the actual buyer. I then proceeded to get 3 more of these emails, again through ebay in their message box, 4 total, coincidentally the same number of watchers. All were accounts opened within the last month.

I have talked with ebay twice now about the first 3 emails, and will give them a call now that I've gotten a 4th, but their response/concern seemed underwhelming. Especially given it is their email system that is being utilized to possibly scam their own sellers. They did remove the 3 users, but now I have to give them another call to tell them to remove another. I asked them why they do not prohibit contact of the seller by other buyers through that item listing after a sale is done, and they gave some response that sounded like it would basically impact their sales revenue.

I don't sell a ton on ebay and almost never high priced items, but this definitely has given me pause to sell such items in the future.

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Contact from other ebay IDs after a sale to scam sending item elsewhere

Wow. We have come across a lot of strange issues selling on eBay, but have not heard of this one. Thanks for posting it so sellers can be aware. Yes, sometimes you have to call more than once when there is an issue and let eBay know that it should not be taken lightly. 

Message 2 of 2
latest reply