cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SELLER BEWARE: No returns accepted means returns accepted!

Ebay is a complete joke.

I had an auction that clearly stated no returns accepted. The buyer opened a case and eBay decided it in his favor. I called them and asked how the buyer could possibly win the case when it says no returns accepted and they basically told me they side on the buyers most of the time. He told me that no returns accepted basically means nothing at all.

Message 1 of 327
latest reply
326 REPLIES 326

Re: SELLER BEWARE: No returns accepted means returns accepted!

Always report buyers who abuse the refund policy, it's practically our only defense against frauds.  But we have to work together to get these people out, always report an abusive buyer!

Message 241 of 327
latest reply

It happened to mee too. At the end I removed all of my listings from eBay and looking through other channels. Why should I give them my business? So I posted a jacket very slouchy kimono style with belt , I posted European size, American size, and pictures with tape measure from shoulders, arms length and under arms width. but of course be a loose fit jacket depending on how you close it the chest width might change. Believe it or not eBay accepted the return because buyer said there was two inches discrepancy in the width! ahaha what a joke; the customer service was very rude and didn't want to listen. not worth  my time. So people, you should be precise by the quarter inch with your measurements and even if you are eBay will favor the buyer. This is unfair and for seller it shows it is practically impossible to be in the right. 

Message 242 of 327
latest reply

I'm literally done with eBay for anything I can easily sell elsewhere. Sneakers go on StockX or GOAT, any musical instruments and gear go on Reverb, etc.

For example...

Reverb's policy:

"Since Reverb is a marketplace full of unique sellers, return policies differ by user.

While some sellers may not offer a return policy, we encourage you to message the seller to find out specifics before making a purchase.

You can view the return policy for each individual item by visiting the "Shop Policies" tab under the listing's images:"

StockX's policy:

Are returns or exchanges allowed?

All purchases on StockX are final. Refunds, exchanges, and swapbacks are not allowed

GOAT's policy is a lot more complicated, but none of it matters for the sake of this discussion because even if a buyer opts for a refund they only get GOAT store credit and the seller never has to refund the money.

And you can tell that eBay is feeling the effects from some of these competitors (they lowered their final value fee to 3.5% to match Reverb's on certain musical instrument categories).  Look at sneaker sale frequency on StockX vs eBay, it's not even close.  They'll never change their policy though, so I just hope more niche market places continue to pop up.
Message 243 of 327
latest reply

I just had the same thing happened to me I sold a over 1 carat gold diamond ring for $1,500 the Buyer got it said that it wasn't I've described even though it was!! So I called eBay immediately and they promised me that everything would be okay their bio would not be able to return it because of that issue of it getting switched out but I had to wait 3 days to try to resolve the issue with the fire and I did and then the Buyer got his refund anyway and I'm probably out of a diamond ring because he probably Switched At The Diamond out with a fake one or damaged one!!! I literally just got off the phone with eBay I am freaking out crying did you ever figure out a way to fight against what eBay has decided if your case isn't closed yet?!?
Message 244 of 327
latest reply

eBay has a terrible return policy!  Buyer can make purchases and use the item then say it’s defective in someway and return at sellers expense with a full refund.  This doesn’t work for the average home sellers selling their old stuff  from home.  Because they will lose money on the shipping fees. I don’t think I’ll sell anything in eBay anymore.  

Message 245 of 327
latest reply

Yep, I also sell on other sites, too. And moving more and more of my listings from here. Simply put, there's not any real seller protection here anymore.
Message 246 of 327
latest reply

You're not obligated to sell on Ebay. It's all about business. Ebay has a buyer protection plan. Not sayin that it's  you but quite a few sellers put things on Ebay to sell and the product is not as described when the buyer receives it or damaged. This could be easily termed as fraud. The pendulum swings both ways. Between Ebay and Paypal, they're gonna back the buyer. You've got a problem selling on Ebay, sell it somewhere else.

Message 247 of 327
latest reply

ill today Ebay favors scammers and do not act properly. 

Message 248 of 327
latest reply

Got the same response. **bleep** EBAY

Message 249 of 327
latest reply

I just sold a bunch of stuff on eBay. They have gotten tens of thousands of dollars from me in the past 17 years. The just lost my business this month. I'm done with eBay! I'll refund the ridiculous and unfair refund requests for now, I have too. They will never get one more penny from me for selling. 

IMPORTANT QUESTIONS:

Why doesn't eBay tell sellers it's a good idea to hold on to all of the money from sales for 60 days after shipping. A buyer can return an item for a refund for any reason they want. Why doesn't Paypal tell sellers to hold on to all the money from sales for 6 months? If you sell something and don't check Paypal every few days for the next 6 months, a buyer can file a dispute and hope you're not checking Paypal. If you don't see it and respond, they get a full refund and get to keep all the items too. I call this "Paypal ambushing". 

Message 250 of 327
latest reply

Grow up and READ THE DAM LISTING I get so tired of ignorant buyers assuming when it is in plain simple english, or do we blame the education system because no one can read.

Message 251 of 327
latest reply

@downundersail wrote:

Grow up and READ THE DAM LISTING I get so tired of ignorant buyers assuming when it is in plain simple english, or do we blame the education system because no one can read.

Except that it's on the SELLER to understand that "no returns" and "no refunds" do not mean the same thing.  Ebay plainly states this in the user agreement and on the fees and selling pages.  YES, it's absolutely aggravating, 100% of the time, if you have something listed as "no returns", that someone can return it anyway, but those are the RULES of the eBay ball court, and if you want to play ball on their court, you have to follow their rules.  Yes, this puts sellers in a somewhat bad spot when there are buyers who take advantage of it... BUT, I also believe that not all buyers who want to return something are trying to take advantage of the seller, either.   Some absolutely are, but not all. 

If you got a "not as described" claim, which to my understanding is the only way someone can return a "no returns" item, if you can show eBay that it absolutely WAS as described, they will sometimes decide in the seller's favor.  A while back I sold some Yamaha trumpet valve button pearls, which are the decorative pearls that are glued on the valve buttons on a Yamaha trumpet.  These were actual Yamaha brand, and the package said they fit ALL Yamaha trumpet models, so I guess Yamaha has always used the same size of this part since day one.  Anyway, I had someone file a "not as described" stating that they "didn't fit his trumpet".  I called eBay and had the customer service person look up my listing which stated explicitly that they were for Yamaha brand and that I did not know if they would fit any other brand and that they should not be purchased thinking they might fit other brands.  I also had in the photos a picture of the package where it said they fit all Yamaha models.  The customer service person saw this, and that there was no possible way for me to describe what they fit and don't fit any better than I did, and rejected the guy's return claim and found in my favor.  So, I don't know what you sold that someone wants to return, but if you have a solid, legit claim, and can back it with evidence, I would call eBay about it, it worked out for me.  The official finding was that because the parts I sold fit ALL yamaha models, the guy was misusing the parts by trying to put them on something else.  Case closed in my favor.

Message 252 of 327
latest reply

Ebay, side with the buyers,--- doesn't matter what !!! ---- I sold a lot of girl clothes (listing return accepted) I was not even notified, buyer got clothes and got 100% money refunded !!!! There is no chance for sellers if the buyer wants the item for free, EBAY will let them keep it !!!!
Message 253 of 327
latest reply

@rossyz123ronald wrote:
Ebay, side with the buyers,--- doesn't matter what !!! ---- I sold a lot of girl clothes (listing return accepted) I was not even notified, buyer got clothes and got 100% money refunded !!!! There is no chance for sellers if the buyer wants the item for free, EBAY will let them keep it !!!!

Did you contact eBay after this happened?  If not, you SHOULD have called eBay customer service and filed a complaint.  If they paid via Paypal, I would call THEM, too.  I got a refund from paypal once on a false return that a seller filed but never returned.  It's worth a shot, as that is basically mail fraud.  Call the police in the buyer's locality and file a police report for theft by mail first, THEN call eBay and Paypal, in that order.

Message 254 of 327
latest reply

I have a few returns from buyers that started today. I bet that's what they are doing. %^#*^%#
Message 255 of 327
latest reply