cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
199 REPLIES 199

Re: It's here! Spring 2016 Seller Update

@retrose1 wrote:

The category changes make ebay look even more Etsy.  Vintage clothing and vintage linens are changed by expansion.

But i'm not going to bring my vintage back here with the mall shoppeing ebay buyers expecting new mall quality condition and sized merchandise.

And look, there's a fee increase for you poor store owners.

I'm pretty happy about the changes.  I have been doing the short descriptions for years, since I discovered that no matter what you say, if an ebay buyer wants a refund, they will get it.  So why waste time describing like there are no pictures and taking pictures like there is no description - since a large chunk of ebay buyers don't bother to look at either and ebay lets them get away with it at a cost to the seller.

i feel the same way...

a late delivery shipment could become a defect (even if I shipped within my handling time).

but a bad description does not count against a seller as long the case is resolved?

as for the store increase?

i only have a basic store but seems it is only an extra $5 for 200 listings more?

i don't like relying on free listings and never get them when i would need them.

so i am happy with my store...

Retrose; good to read about you...

seems you're not around as often.

other regulars have completely vanished.

i hope every one is alright...

letoulousain
Message 106 of 200
latest reply

@smick55 wrote:

I'm completely confused about the 250 word thing in descriptions.  I put a blank line between each sentence, and they say each of those accouts for 50 words, so my blank lines alone use up my 250 characters.

It is a limit of 250 characters, not words. Twitter is what - around 140? So think a little shorter than 2 tweets. In the example they provided of eBay generated, it was only 139 characters. They could have incuded the second sentence and still only hit 230 characters, but the bots only included the first sentence based on keywords.

• eBay-generated View Item summaries will typically be limited to 250 characters. But if your item description is less than 800 characters and uses basic HTML, CSS or text-only descriptions, we will display the entire description.

So what does the 800 word limit mean?

Again, it's a character limit and needs to be less than 800. If your ENTIRE description is less than 800 characters, they will automatically show the whole thing. Or if your description is longer you can customize the html to choose what (up to 799) characters you want shown on mobile.

Also I put a link to my other listings in my description --- what does that do? 

As noted above, basic html is allowed. So if your description is less than 800 characters the link will be included in the mobile display. If it is 800 or more characters, the link that's part of your description would only be shown if the buyer clicked on the general link to view the item description, or if you included the link when/if you used to specify the html to include it in the mobile optimized view.

I have no knowledge of html.

@fern*wood See above in blue.

To sum up - if you do nothing and your description is 800 characters or more then eBay will likely just choose one of your first sentences to show based on keywords and nothing else (up to but not necessarily fulfilling the 250 character limit).

If your listing is less than 800 characters (799 or less) then eBay will show the full description.

If your listing is 800 or more characters you have the option of editing each listing to show which characters, up to 799, to display on mobile - but they need to be consecutive - like you can't choose a sentence from the top of the description and another from the bottom. And spaces, returns, etc do count as characters. If you choose to do this, the html that can be used is shown on the FAQ page.

This is why I said upthread earlier this morning that I'm going to use the html to choose what I want shown and add a line to the top of every description that says "If you are using a mobile device, please click link to view FULL item description." and make sure that's included in my mobile-optimized html view as part of the 799 characters.

So that brings me back around to the other points I made above where I said:

While I have no problem writing or using html, it would be even better if a user could highlight the text they wanted then click a button on the toolbar above (where you adjust fonts, etc) so it would insert the html automatically.

Also, it really stinks that they're doing this based on character count but the description field does not have a character counter... so people [who want to choose what to show in mobile] may have to throw things in a word doc or other location that counts characters for them? SO much extra work to determine which part of the description you want featured on mobile...

I also wonder if listings are edited now to get a jump on things (I think it is a May 1st roll-out?), will that html go through or do people need to wait until May 1st to make their edits?

Message 107 of 200
latest reply

@blackbird*singing

Thanks for taking the time to help me.  I don't know why I kept typing 'word' instead of 'character' but I'm chalking that up to frustration.  My descriptions aren't long, but I have been spacing with a blank row between each bullet point so I'll stop doing that for sure.  I don't know how many characters they are on average, though.

Message 108 of 200
latest reply

Okay, and to answer that last question I had, I found this in the SUForum posted by a blue:

If you add html to create a custom description summary today it will have no visible impact on your listings.  The custom description summaries launch this Summer.

So if you have items that will still be listed when the change rolls out you can choose to do your own custom mobile views without a visible impact to your listing - then they should go into effect during the summer launch. No need to wait until the last second if you don't want to - or no need to customize at all if you don't want to.

ETA: The update says a line break will count as 50 characters. I think this is because the mobile view shows 50 character limit per line displayed.

Message 109 of 200
latest reply

@smick55 wrote:

@blackbird*singing

Thanks for taking the time to help me.  I don't know why I kept typing 'word' instead of 'character' but I'm chalking that up to frustration.  My descriptions aren't long, but I have been spacing with a blank row between each bullet point so I'll stop doing that for sure.  I don't know how many characters they are on average, though.

Any time, @fern*wood! I understand a lot of html so if you have further questions feel free to let me know and I'll do my best to help.

Also, I just read from a blue that eBay is going to add a "More" link to the bottom of the mobile optimized descriptions.

I am considering doing the following to my listings:

Using the html to specify the content I want shown on mobile to say: If you are using a mobile app click the "More" link below to view this item's full description.

And leave it at that - so I can copy/paste it to the top of every one of my listings and not have to worry about characters, what text to show, etc - just directing people to view the entire description no matter what.

Not sure if that's what I"ll do yet, but I'm sort of leaning towards it.

You mentioned leaving out line breaks, etc on your descriptions. This makes sense if you can keep your descriptions at 799 characters or less. If your descriptions + TOS are longer, then you're better off leaving them however you have them now and selecting your content to display. As noted above, if your description is 800 characters or more, eBay bots will choose UP TO 250 characters to display based on keywords - which likely means just one sentance even if it's only 130 characters (see the example they gave a screenshot of).

Message 110 of 200
latest reply

your post make me feel i just should forget about reading updates in general...

i should just list (make sure i don't do anything against the rules)...

it sells, it sells, it doesn't, it doesn't...

to make it short?

are u saying that if i shop on my mobile, i will no longer able to see a description?

or just a few sentences?

i am a buyer.

how can i buy something if there is no description?

how can this improve quality, buyer satisfaction, a good buying experience?

i can see Snads being filed left and right when all these rules are implemented.

probably the reason why snads no longer coun't against sellers if a case is resolved.

Ebay sees it coming...

anyway this is why i need to stay away from updates and this board.

as long as i am no breaking the rules, i should just list and forget about the rest.

instead of wasting a few hours on this board, deciphering spring updates.

this description thing has me fuming.

it is not like we can do anything about it anyway.....

i bought a lot of jewelry recently; listed as a lot/junk drawer.

just described as; IN VINTAGE CONDITION (NOT listed as for parts or repair).

the pictures were blurry (of course).

it didn't look half that bad though.

more than half of it was broken or unrepairable (not visible in pics).

but the description was under 800 characters; that's for sure.

now of course it was my choice to bid (even left a pos).

but is this really the kind of listings ebay wants to promote?

anyway i am done.

i was not displeased with my store increase.

200 more listings for $5...

but this description thing ruins it all for me.

can't help think it is going to affect sales or increase problems.

i really have to stay away from this board...

letoulousain
Message 111 of 200
latest reply

@lemarcheaupuces

Actually the updates mean that a short description will show on mobile plus a "more" link right underneath so buyers can click to view the full description. It does not mean that you lose the ability to see a description. And the way they're setting up is even better than it is now where they're ALREADY showing condensed descriptions and have been for a while - and the link to view full description can be difficult to find. With these changes sellers have the option to choose what the short text is (or let eBay choose) and the "More" link will be directly underneath for buyers to see the full description.

I think it's an improvement for mobile, personally.

If they could just fix the free ship mobile glitch it would overall be pretty good!

Message 112 of 200
latest reply

@prefontained wrote:

@lemarcheaupuces

Actually the updates mean that a short description will show on mobile plus a "more" link right underneath so buyers can click to view the full description. It does not mean that you lose the ability to see a description. And the way they're setting up is even better than it is now where they're ALREADY showing condensed descriptions and have been for a while - and the link to view full description can be difficult to find. With these changes sellers have the option to choose what the short text is (or let eBay choose) and the "More" link will be directly underneath for buyers to see the full description.

I think it's an improvement for mobile, personally.

If they could just fix the free ship mobile glitch it would overall be pretty good!

thanks for your quick answer.

i feel a little better.

so a buyer can click a link to view the full description.

of course hopefully buyers will...

i trust you when you say it is actually an improvement...

i was just afraid ebay was bypassing the description all along (on mobiles) relying on specifics and condition box for more info...

letoulousain
Message 113 of 200
latest reply

I'm happy with the changes. $5 for 200 more listings is great for me, as I sell primarily collectibles and can make use of those auction listings. And the coupon for shipping supplies is nice-- while I get most of my stuff for free between my job and repurposing Amazon boxes/materials, there are always some sizes of boxes that I have to go out and buy, and tape is a constant necessity.

I was on the fence about continuing with a store after my promo ran out, but now I think I'm going to do it.
Message 114 of 200
latest reply

@prefontained wrote:

@smick55 wrote:

@blackbird*singing

Any time, @fern*wood! I understand a lot of html so if you have further questions feel free to let me know and I'll do my best to help.

Also, I just read from a blue that eBay is going to add a "More" link to the bottom of the mobile optimized descriptions.

Using the html to specify the content I want shown on mobile to say: If you are using a mobile app click the "More" link below to view this item's full description.

And leave it at that - so I can copy/paste it to the top of every one of my listings and not have to worry about characters, what text to show, etc - just directing people to view the entire description no matter what.

You mentioned leaving out line breaks, etc on your descriptions. This makes sense if you can keep your descriptions at 799 characters or less. If your descriptions + TOS are longer, then you're better off leaving them however you have them now and selecting your content to display. As noted above, if your description is 800 characters or more, eBay bots will choose UP TO 250 characters to display based on keywords - which likely means just one sentance even if it's only 130 characters (see the example they gave a screenshot of).

@blackbird*singing

Let me give you an example of how little I know about html---I didn't even know that is what my sell other items link was.  That's what you are dealing with here with me, so the discussions on the special discussion board were so over my head that I felt like I just showed up for my collage class on the last day. 

I am just going to do away with my line breaks and shorten my descriptions more if possible.  I have no TOS anywhere in my descriptions. 

If they will include any descriptions less than 800 characters without truncating, why are they making their grabs only 250 characters if I am over that? 

Message 115 of 200
latest reply

@lemarcheaupuces I'm glad you're feeling better - I honestly do think it is better. The link to view the full description will be more clear and (best of all) right below the text that's shown. And pages will load more quickly on these small devices with the "optimized" descriptions. Plus sellers will now actually have control over what that short text is if they choose to make the edits. Those who don't want to don't have to.

I'm thinking of starting a new thread just on this topic posting a lot of what I said in this thread as I have seen several people with questions on it already and maybe with a new thread the posts here wouldn't get so lost/buried... ?

I think there are points people who do want to choose their own text may overlook if not carefully reading every word eBay has provided on the matter - plus the fact that some info is in the actual update spread out over 4 pages and other info was not even in the update but provided by blues (with screenshots) on the SU Forum...

Any votes that I start a new thread to put this info out there for all those questions that will be pouring in? Or would that just be a waste of time?

Message 116 of 200
latest reply

@smick55 wrote:

@prefontained wrote:

@smick55 wrote:

@blackbird*singing

@blackbird*singing

Let me give you an example of how little I know about html---I didn't even know that is what my sell other items link was.  That's what you are dealing with here with me, so the discussions on the special discussion board were so over my head that I felt like I just showed up for my collage class on the last day. 

I am just going to do away with my line breaks and shorten my descriptions more if possible.  I have no TOS anywhere in my descriptions. 

If they will include any descriptions less than 800 characters without truncating, why are they making their grabs only 250 characters if I am over that? 

Quicker page loading would be my guess. And to be clear - the grabs are not 250 characters - there is a LIMIT of 250 characters to what they will grab. So if the bots detect the keywords they're looking for in only one sentence that is just 50 characters, that may be all they show -- the 50 character sentence followed by the "More" link to view full description.

And I'm not worried about you not having any knowledge of html - many people don't. I'm still willing to help you understand things if you have questions!

Message 117 of 200
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@twnpopcards wrote:

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@unscrupulousintangibility wrote:

The last thing I want is eBay branded Priority boxes.

We even cut the "eBay" off of the online labels.

... plain brown (unprinted) boxes would be less expensive to manufacturer ... I know, have been in the packaging industry for over 30 years.  I would be interested to know the spec on the corrugated they plan on using for the boxes ... could be a weaker structure.  If anything, get the tape rolls printed instead.

On another note, is it wise to advertise your box is an eBay package?  Wouldn't that invite more tampering?

i now use Stamps.com for shipping so no where on my package does Ebay's name show up and I definitely want to keep it that way.  Why make it obvious for those who walk up and steal packages from mailboxes and porches that this is an Ebay purchase.  Just makes it that much more enticing to take.

David

Twnpopcards

Does Stamps.com have a feature to automatically upload the tracking info to eBay listings?

Yes, it does.  I use the free eBay seller package, as a backup to the eternally iffy eBay shipping.  I still qualify for TRS shipping rates, so some categories are more costly on Stamps, but their support is top notch, and they understand shipping, unlike eBay CSR drones.

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts....
Message 118 of 200
latest reply

I will be down grading my store.  Just have to figure out when to do it so one doesn't overlap the other and get hit with a big charge.

cat
Message 119 of 200
latest reply

For a non-professional seller of lp from my personal collection, this latest change to eBay again makes it more difficult to quickly do my listings.  It has unhelpful pop-ups, attempts to require information which is irrelevant to my items and my buyers ... and is simply frustrating.  I listed one item tonight in place of the ten that I had planned to do, and will look elsewhere for a better platform for sales of music (and the occasional rare book).  Very disappointing, eBay.

Message 120 of 200
latest reply