cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay unfair to sellers

why does ebay have such distain for its sellers. Up untill 4 weeks ago I was a top rated seller with 100% feedback (1150 transactions) then I made the mistake of selling to low rated buyers (little or now feedback), at which point I recieved 2 neutral and 1 neg feedback, one was for dust in the bottom of a vase, second was not as described shoe size, when detailed measurements were provided, and my favorite was not shipping to a non verified address, all resulted in my calling customer (non) support, at which time I was denied any resolution, now as a result my seller rating was lowered and my funds are pending on paypal. So I removed all of my listings, canceled my current active auctions and will be moving on, I am sorry I wasted 4 years of my time thinking ebay was great, when it is a terrible environment for sellers, and the people who make policy should be terminated. Just type ebay unfair to its sellers in Google and look at the thousands of complaints. I will be making it my mission to trash ebay on every venue possible, and I will be in good company, also paypal is a joke, 4 years of flawless transactions and they put my funds on hold?????????????????????

Message 1 of 260
latest reply
259 REPLIES 259

Re: ebay unfair to sellers

Other sellers have stated that the information they got from Customer Service was that for every seller that leaves eBay, ten more new sellers will come. It's not the sellers they care about. They just want more buyers, even at the expense of the sellers. Pay Pal and eBay get their money, they never lose - only the sellers are out their hard earned money. I had a buyer who bought a set of 5 Christmas cards and now is returning them because, apparently I sell inappropriate items. How are regular Christmas cards inappropriate? Now eBay has a "no questions asked" automatic return policy so buyers can use something and then return that item for a full refund. It seems that sellers just keep on losing. I am trying to sell what inventory I have and eventually just leave eBay for good - no selling and no buying.

Message 121 of 260
latest reply

Yea i probably need to go back to " no refunds. " on my auctions. I'm only on this temporarily then i am off of here. I have not talked to a seller yet that is m

Message 122 of 260
latest reply

I was going to write .... I havent talked to a seller yet that is making a profit? Not one.. How many can keep selling for nothing?..

Message 123 of 260
latest reply

It seems that buyers, or should I say, scammers are alive and well on eBay. The buyer I mentioned before who bought 5 Christmas greeting cards returned them because they were "inappropriate". She wanted to buy Money Holder Christmas cards and saw SHE had made an error when she received the cards. She left me neutral feedback and said the cards were "inappropriate". This just doesn't make sense to me. It's like buying a bicycle and saying that she was thinking about buying a car when the bicycle arrived. Now there is another buyer who asked me almost immediately after I emailed him to let him know that his package had been mailed, that he would let me know if he didn't receive it. I assured him that I had mailed many packages over the last 10 years using this shipping method and everyone received their packages. He predetermined that he was not going to receive his package because the shipping method he chose did not include a tracking number. This evening I had a buyer who bought two vintage greeting cards. I combined the shipping costs for her and sent her a full shipping refund for the second card. Because they were vintage greeting cards I put them in a plastic envelope, then in a water resistant, tear proof envelope. I added tape to the flap for extra security. She received the cards and emailed me to let me know she would be leaving negative feedback because I had put tape on the flap and the cards were not vintage. They were purchased at a shop who sells only vintage items. They were beautiful cards that I now wish I had kept for myself. I read feedback that she has left for other sellers. She is rude and always threatens sellers with negative feedback, so she gets a full refund and keeps the items. Sellers are out the money, the items, and seller and Pay Pal fees. Three scammers in just over a week's time is just too much for me. I am think I will just donote as much as I can and just leave eBay for good. I would rather have time on my hands than spend all this time listing, packaging and mailing items only to get scammed. It is just not worth it!!!

Message 124 of 260
latest reply

I was not making much, but was enjoying the experience until I got an unfair negative. I sold a 14k pendant that was never used and came in the original box. I packed it carefully and sent it quickly. The buyer opened a case against me the day she received the item. When I checked the time she received the pendant it turned out that she opened the case within 16 minutes of the item being dropped at the front desk in her apartment building. She wanted her money back, stating that the pendant was not real gold, but aluminum.  Even though I knew this was ridiculous, I agreed to return her money after she sent the item back. I did pay the postage. When I received my pendant, I found it had been damaged with two holes gouged into the back and a dent in the front. I felt I had no recourse, but to give her the money back because I knew if I did not, eBay would. To top it off, she left me negative feedback. Fake! Fake! is just part of what she wrote.

I messaged eBay three times with the whole story, but never heard a word, and, of course, the negative remains. Because some of my positive feedback is over a year old, my feedback % is going down and down. It makes things look very bad. I will no longer sell on eBay because of this bad experience.  It was surprising to me that eBay did not have my back. Soon, I will also be closing my buying account, after 12 years,  because I just feel if I am not valued as a seller, I am disinclined to continue doing any kind of business with eBay. I am writing this message under my buyer name, but am itsouttahere as a seller. By the way, the pendant tested 14k.

Message 125 of 260
latest reply

I don't even bother contacting eBay Customer Service anymore because I usually get more upset when dealing with them. Not only do they always side with the buyer but they make you feel worthless and frustrated. I really enjoyed selling on eBay in the past. I would get one maybe two unhappy buyers in a year but I had ten times the sales I have now. There were always scammers in the past and there always will be scammers, but eBay now just makes it easier for them to scam honest sellers. My daughter has a lot of beauty products that she wants to sell but is finding it hard because of the high shipping costs in Canada. Because of the cost of her items she only sells using shipping methods that include insurance and a tracking number. I am just so disappointed in people. I think some buyers actually get a lot of enjoyment and satisfaction when they scam sellers. As I said before, I am planning on donating a lot of items and just leave eBay for good. It is just going to take a little time.

Message 126 of 260
latest reply

Yes that would discourage somebody from selling on ebay. One thing you can do is prevent them from bidding on your items again. But i am sure its a 1 time thing from buyer to buyer. If Ebay gets enough sellers quiting because of that? Then they might look in to it. But then again like i have said in the past. As long as you sell your stuff which becomes their stuff on Ebay you won't get any rights. "Enter at your own risk"  there are other auction sites but I believe they would follow about the same policy. But i say, plain and simple, if this becomes angry and bitter for you. And your not enjoying this and it really is becoming a burden? Then you have to get out of it. Life is too short to lose that also on Ebay. I'll be going off soon. I would hate to do this for years?  You will find yourself more worried about the customer satisfaction then your own well being.

Message 127 of 260
latest reply

And i also say on your way out? Remember their address and mail them a box of DOG SH#%T. .?

Message 128 of 260
latest reply

I agree, I was just given a "false positive" feed back from a "seller who bullies other sellers" to buy their goods at a reduced price. I had a 3 sets of sewing machine attachments listed at $ 18.99 each. I was sent an email stating "I will give you $ 40.00 for the three".. I thought "well at least I will sell them all and be rid of them". I noticed on their site they were selling the sets for $ 45.99 each.. I received an email stating I sent her one foot without a serial number on it ( it was the exact and correct item ). She demanded that I send an additional one ( I did not have another and she was lying ). The next day she sent the same demand for "3 for $ 40.00 " and had another ebay account ( I cannot fathom how that is considered legitimate ).. Her request could not be issued- Ebay limited her amount of items she could get "deals" on. She then wanted me to send an invoice for two more ( a violation ) and was still obcessing about the "foot without the serial number". She received the second order and contacted ebay requesting a return and stated " I sent her merchandise not as described".. Then gave me feedback stating that I was rude. We are dealing with either " Low life, mentally defective, nasty, or abusive Bully's " that can take advantage of the situation... I will only sell a few more items on ebay and am wondering about "Bonanza" to sell anything...

Message 129 of 260
latest reply

Consider the "Human trash" that work in the ebay customer service Dept. They probably have a second job scamming people - claiming they owe money to the IRS...
Message 130 of 260
latest reply

Have to admit that hasnt happen to me but i wonder about that other user ID?. That's where the seller gets to bid on his own stuff ? Jacking up the bid against you? I just got thru winning an auction where i was dumb enough to bid high on it. . after i won it i looked in to the bids.. There were 20 bids and the only other bidder bid $2.00 at a time about 12 times at the last 4 minutes of the auction? I believe in bidding one big time in the last minutes of the bid. Bid what your willing to pay and thats it!.. But nobody bids $2.00 12 times like who ever was bidding didnt want to go over my bid by too much? Allowing me to outbid at the end.. Maybe just being parnoid but i know now to not bid big again. My point is " why is it legitimate for sellers to have 2 users? That is a big red flag..

Message 131 of 260
latest reply

There have been way too many scamming buyers. This is the most recent one. As in my message above, she purchased two beautiful vintage greeting cards. I carefully packaged them and added tape to the flap of the envelope they were mailed in for extra security because sometimes during the winter months the glue just doesn't hold and the flaps are easy to open. According to her, this was a big mistake. Here is the message she sent me.

"I am going to have to leave you negative feedback. The cards are flimsy and your packaging was ridiculous, you taped every single edge, so opening the envelope was impossible without hurting the cards, which were such poor quality I would be embarrassed to send them to anyone.

I got news for you the cards would NOT have fallen had you not tapped every single edge, which was so whacked out.

This transaction has been a total and complete DISAPPOINTMENT and a waste of time and a waste of money, I was ripped off on your poorest of poo quality cards ever on every single level. Shame on you, these are cards are NOT vintage, so that was a bummer too."

She is a 60 year old woman who buys and I think threatens sellers with negative feedback. To avoid receiving negative feedback, sellers like myself, give her a full refund. So, sellers are out the product, money, have to pay seller and Pay Pal fees, and the cost of packaging. The buyer keeps the merchandise for FREE. I read feedback from other sellers which shows me she has been doing this for quite some time. She leaves negative feedback for sellers who do not succumb to her demands. She is a very rude and angry woman who probably enjoys threatening honest sellers and gets what she wants for no cost to her. Unfortunately, when you contact eBay's so-called Customer Support, they will tell you to contact the buyer and work something out because the buyer always has a good reason for their dissatisfaction with the seller or what they bought.

Message 132 of 260
latest reply

i’ve been a seller on eBay for nearly 20 years and until recently have remained neutral with their policies

New changes in policies which make it extremely difficult for sellers to communicate via messaging and prohibited by speaking on the phone render it difficult at best to achieve a good result selling equipment items.

Additionally ,policies on payment forcing sellers to utilize eBay own subsidy Pay Pal and  allowing no additional payment options seems questionable at best.

I will be devoting considerable energy and effort to maximize sales on other based platforms from here on.

Am I wrong or is a class action lawsuit called for relating to their payment policy restrictions ? 

Message 133 of 260
latest reply

EBay is not fair to  sellers.

Recent changes do not allow sellers to establish payment terms other than PayPal.Or credit card.

This is unfair at best and I suspect maybe challenged legally.

Sellers should have the right to establish their own payment terms and allow for payment by checks or wire transfer

Message 134 of 260
latest reply

Yes i would say until ebay has your back you are selling at your own risk. As i stated in the past . You are selling on their property. So your stuff becomes their stuff to do with.? Its not always buyer beware. Its also seller beware? But buyer beware is what they are working on to keep that situation from happening or that word spreading. In the past they were worried about the buyer getting a negative because it discourage them from buying. But in your case it shows that the seller doesnt like to work under false negatives. Maybe someday ebay will read this or get enough feedbacks from it. But the other truth is they dont have enough people hired from india to staff the amount of buyers and sellers. So they dont really have the time to investigate any situation. So it is easier and quicker to say its the sellers fault and move on. So we have to try and remember not to take it personal. Ebay is just improperly staffed to help us.

Message 135 of 260
latest reply