cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay's Final Value Fees Too High!

Am I the only one that is concerned with ebay's recent increase in final value fees?  Ebay is making it hard to make even a small profit off items sold!

Message 1 of 1,161
latest reply
1,160 REPLIES 1,160

Re: Ebay's Final Value Fees Too High!

So eBay has been exploiting us sellers since 2014 and never change...

Message 1051 of 1,161
latest reply

I just spent a few weeks working the numbers, trying to see if it's worth starting an Ebay business.  And no matter how ya slice it, Ebay and Paypal get all the profit and all I get is the work.  Ebay needs a serious competitor.  Maybe Amazon or Etsy.

Message 1052 of 1,161
latest reply

**bleep** right! They charge me total 10% of my items which counted in the shipping fees total as well? what on earth is going on? I am just selling 1 item occasionally and the margins of the item is already so low and yet Ebay is charging me a bomb fees on this?? I earn nothing for this item trading at the end?? What's the point I sell it in Ebay from the beginning? This is so unacceptable!!!
Message 1053 of 1,161
latest reply

I hate them!    I make 3$ selling high end coats.  I have to drive to the store, buy them, take photos of them, list them,  pring labels, drive to the post office, buy tape, buy postage, get charged on the final item plus shipping (which should be illegal) drive home, get my money, pay the PayPal fee.  Repeat. FOR  3 **bleep** DOLLARS PROFIT!!!!

Message 1054 of 1,161
latest reply

This is UNBELIEVABLE! eBay fees are extremely high. I told a smart phone on ebay for $550 and was Charged $55. Paypal charged me $26. Post office costed me $18. I sold a phone for $550, I paid $99 for all the fees and shipping. This is ridiculous! I just hate ebay. We all should stop using eBay until they change the fee rates.
Message 1055 of 1,161
latest reply

You are absolutely correct. The final value of 10% is just too high. If you are trying to sell some used goods this basically kills it. Add on the 4-5% paypal fee and that's 15%.

There are some naive people who think "well, just raise the price." Problem is the items won't sell. So, you end up lowering it till it sells. By the time you are done, you end up with like 5$ and you have to run it to the post office and deal with the rising postage rates.

Sellers are leaving ebay in droves because you can't make a cent anymore.

Message 1056 of 1,161
latest reply

Yes, is not worth it to sell on EBAY, their fees (ebay and paypal) are way too high, selling a macbook pro for 1800, they will take off 232 dollars aprox... come on i know where are using their platform, but those fees are ridicoulous. cheers

Message 1057 of 1,161
latest reply

I get daily ebay messages to sell on them. So I thought I would come to this forum and see what was said by the sellers.
Imo effectively giving them/paypal- close to 20%+ of the sale price is not very enticing. Imo Ebay should make it a goal to not exceed some % of the sale price ie 10% cap or some such, for items over say a certain amount. It seem ridiculous to currently pay them/paypal $189 to sell a $900 coin for instance, no way should they get that, hell you end up working for ? per hour doing that? jmho Should be a flat rate fee scale indexed to sale price, and not to exceed whatever. jmho but after reading this forum I am not temped to start selling at all. No one asked jmho - thanks for the education.
Message 1058 of 1,161
latest reply

then raise your prices
Message 1059 of 1,161
latest reply

LOL. Robst9502, well done on your trolling.
Message 1060 of 1,161
latest reply

eBay ripping off sellers period

Message 1061 of 1,161
latest reply

Yes, the fees are way too high.

There's a few moderators out here who will point out "just raise your price to cover it."  These are probably knuckleheads. If you raise your price it won't sell.

The 10% final value is way to high. Think about it .. if you sell $3000 of stuff over a month they take $300.. then Paypal takes 5% or $150. So, then you are down to about $2650.. add in the cost of shipping.. taxes..  it  becomes very difficult to sell and make any profit.

Basically, they are raking your profit and leaving you with very little meat on the bone. What are they really doing.. just letting you advertise..

Their final value fee should be reduced to  5% and they need to reign in Paypal fees.

Message 1062 of 1,161
latest reply

I agree 100%.  I don't sell much but even for the casual seller like me, at 1 or 2 items a month, 10% is ridiculous.  They do not explain their listing fees or the final fee values very well when posting, as far as I could tell.  I had to really dig to find out the crazy fees.  All my listing said, was, it'll cost $1.00 to post.  At the end, I paid $35.50 plus the paypal fee and shipping.  I will not be using e-bay to sell items any longer.  I've been a member since 2003 and it isn't worth it for the occasional seller.  I'm not sure how stores make a profit?  Does anyone have suggestions on other reputable selling apps or sites?  

Message 1063 of 1,161
latest reply

Why I quit eBay and use local sellers on Craigslist or on Facebook market which hits my locals and all profit is mine. They got greedy, and what was once a populist platform is just one more make THEM rich at YOUR expense and WORK.  I stopped selling or buying.  Came to check if it improved today, but found it only worse.  EBAY is so 1990. 

Message 1064 of 1,161
latest reply

then eBay and the government can go F themselves...

Message 1065 of 1,161
latest reply