cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sports Card pricing

I have a few cards here, Micheal Jordan, Reggie Miller, Deion Sanders etc.

pricing guides put them in the high hundreds and thousands. Yet eBay says buy now for $20.00? Am I looking at something wrong? I don’t understand. If I have a MJ card worth $11,000 why is eBay saying it’s worth Pennie’s?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Sports Card pricing

Smart eBay sellers pay no attention to eBay's recommendations regarding pricing.

One good way to figure out prices is to check out what similar items have sold for in the past.  

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Sports Card pricing

What about local sports card stores in my

city? How will they price?

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Sports Card pricing

eBay doesn't set any prices for you, it might be making a recommendation, but you set your price. If you are new to eBay there is tons of information in the eBay Seller Center, you can also find lots of information on YouTube and by continuing to ask questions here in the community.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Sports Card pricing

Are you just asking how to price your items? Beckett is an excellent resource for book pricing, and there are numerous sites to look up past sale prices; try https://130point.com/sales/.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Sports Card pricing

I’ve looked at several including Beckett, and they all say different prices some very high and some extremely low and I’m just trying to figure out why it’s like this and I take them to a store will get what I want for them or do I need to sell them on my own online 

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Sports Card pricing

ps. if you have cards that are worth hundreds or thousands and are a new seller, 2 things will happen.

They will hold your $ for upwards of 30 days.

You need to be signed up for Managed Payments BEFORE you list these.

List only as a Buy it Now- immediate payment.

Be prepared for many scammers to come out of the woodwork wanting you to text them etc. DO NOT!

You may not even be able to list high dollar items as there is a monetary limit for new sellers. 

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Sports Card pricing

To price the cards correctly, you can go to your local card shop and ask if they can help accurately identify and suggest a value for the cards for you. They will not pay you what they would sell the card for, and it helps to know someone in the community you trust to guide you.

There are numerous groups on Facebook and online that you can join, post pictures of the cards, and ask for assistance in setting a price; make sure you ignore the trolls. 

If you want to message me, I can recommend a couple of groups on FB.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Sports Card pricing

No, your not doing anything wrong, eBay always low ball there prices to reflect a give away price for there customer's, they have never sided with the seller, it always have been an uphill battle, go figure?

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Sports Card pricing

I can't imagine any Reggie Miller, or Deion Sanders, cards being worth thousands.  Where did you see those prices?  If you just saw them listed somewhere, at ridiculously high prices, they'll probably never actually sell.

As for Jordan, there are a few of his cards that could sell for those kind of prices.

The best way to find legitimate prices is to search eBay SOLD items.

Just my personal opinion, but Beckett, and other, price guides are only useful as checklists.  Their prices are almost always higher than you will actually be able to sell cards for.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Sports Card pricing

You should make a list of the cards:  Year, Player, and Condition / Grade.  Next, start searching the "Completed Items" and see the recent cards that have sold and the prices.   

The high prices you see for Deion must be either a seller thinking a sucker will buy a card at a really high price that you can get any where or you are looking at a harder to find Gem Mint 10 card of Deion. 

One suggestion, since you are new to eBay you may want to purchase a few small items and then acquire some feedback before selling your cards so people will be more comfortable to buy from you and take you seriously about selling here.   Otherwise, you will get possibly a lower amount of bids or lower prices for your items at auction, unless you are doing Buy It Nows (BINs) for your items which you may set your prices.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Sports Card pricing

What Jordans are we talking about? From $20 cards listed to thousands of dollars of these player cards that you own? The best way is to search latest SOLD.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Sports Card pricing

Condition, condition, condition.

That is normally the #1 variable for grading nearly every trading card.

You need to study what a mix of various card publishers have to say about grading sports cards -- and don't fudge on the details.  Always grade on the conservative side.

Spend some time at card shows, to actually find out what is rare, and what is not, and what the dealers are actually realizing in sales.

Good luck.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply