cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to file a claim as a seller on shipping charges

Hello,

how can I file a claim after paying double what I used to pay for a shipping label for the same Item I sold 4 times before? in addition to that, my customer paid an extra $11 when he received his package, and they told him that the seller did something wrong while shipping the package.

Also, eBay charged me for that $11!! so basically I paid $32 for a shipping label, although I paid $7 for shipping the same item before. thank you.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

@peter_kbs 

A quick look at your listings suggest you may not be adding the correct information for a calculated shipping cost on your products.  It could be the measurements of your parcel/and or weight.  For example, it shows shipping to me in FL  on your two duvet sets to be $6.72 and $6,09 respectively.  That seems quite low for USPS.   What are the dimensions of the box?  What is the weight? 

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

If you will provide the service used, Zip Codes from and to plus the package size with the weight then someone may be able to explain it to you.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

What are the dimensions of your shipping boxes?  

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

What is the item........????

Have to say.....GA for that Queen Duvet with 2 pillows seems awfully low.........$8.02 from PA to Cal.........

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

dimensions  12*8*10

weight: 5 lb.

my concern is I already sold 4 of this item before and It cost my only $7 to ship and i had no issue!!

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Can you really ship a king-size comforter in a box that's 12 x 8 x 10 inches?! And that's what you entered when purchasing the label?  If so, that would ship via eBay postage at the Cubic rate for .6 pound when shipping via Ground Advantage, and at the 5-pound rate when shipping via Priority Mail.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

What I do not understand is why the buyer was charged.

I thought that the days of a USPS ebay package being delivered postage due were over

I thought that the USPS would just add a additional charge through ebay.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Hi @peter_kbs 

Many new Sellers make mistakes on shipping until they understand how it works.  Your comforters are going in what I suspect to be a large box, WHAT dimensions are you using for them?  WHAT weight are you using for them?

You need to use the Calculated shipping setting and be accurate with the weight and size of the package when you create your listings.  That will insure the Buyer pays the correct amount of postage.  You can print your labels through eBay for a discount.  

Any package that is larger than 12 x 12 x 12 = 1728 cubic inches gets pushed to Dimensional weight (now being called Cubic rate) and the price can go up quickly.

Also, when you print your labels through eBay the APV system should automatically charge YOU for any under payments but NOT the customer.  If you printed through eBay for your example above then the Post Office took advantage of your Customer by charging the postage due which NEVER should have happened.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 9 of 16
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote: ... Any package that is larger than 12 x 12 x 12 = 1728 cubic inches gets pushed to Dimensional weight (now being called Cubic rate) and the price can go up quickly.....

Dimensional weight for packages over 1 cubic foot is still called dimensional weight.

Cubic rates are for packages UNDER 1 cubic foot if you're shipping via Ground Advantage, and up to .5 cu ft via Priority.  The dimensions of 12 x 8 x 10 = 960 cubic inches, which is (960/1728=  )  just .555 pound, so it would ship at the .6 cu fit rate when using Ground Advantage.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

@bashort wrote:

What I do not understand is why the buyer was charged.

I thought that the days of a USPS ebay package being delivered postage due were over

I thought that the USPS would just add a additional charge through ebay.

I'm wondering whether (1) the seller can really get a king-sized comforter into a box that's 12x8x10; and (2) whether he shipped via Ground Advantage and somebody at the buyer's Post Office misunderstood about Cubic rates and charged the buyer the difference between the cubic rate and the retail rate for 5 pounds? But that would probably be more than $11?  Hmmm

Old-fashioned Postage Due can still happen, though usually it's for situations that the APV system doesn't address, such as misuse of Media Mail.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

my concern is I already sold 4 of this item before and It cost my only $7 to ship

@peter_kbs 

Shipping is calculated by size, weight, and distance.  Here is a screen shot from USPS for a 5 lbs. parcel (12 x 10 x  8 from a zipcode in your area to me in S. FL.   Note the only service that is close to the price you are showing in your listing is Media Mail, which is not applicable, nor seemingly added to your listings.  

mail.jpg

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

how can I file a claim after paying double what I used to pay for a shipping label for the same Item I sold 4 times before?

We do not have sufficient information to determine whether the old rate you paid before was correct rate or not. It is possible to underpay without the USPS noticing.

in addition to that, my customer paid an extra $11 when he received his package, and they told him that the seller did something wrong while shipping the package.

That is how buying USPS shipping labels through eBay works. If the USPS says you underpaid and charges eBay additional funds, eBay passes those costs on to you.

I paid $32 for a shipping label, although I paid $7 for shipping the same item before

Again, what you paid before may not have been correct. In order to help you determine the correct rate, you need to give us three sets of numbers:

1) The zip codes, service class, dimensions and weight on your listing that eBay used to calculate the shipping cost charged to the buyer

2) The zip codes, service class, dimensions and weight of the label that you purchased on eBay

3) Dimensions and weight of the actual parcel that you shipped to the buyer.

Without all that information, all we can do is guess what happened.

That being said ...

Around 2019 the USPS began charging dimensional weight for packages over 1 cubic foot (1,728 cubic inches) using this formula: ( length x width x height ) / 166 = dimensional weight. They have been a lot better about catching underpayment over the past year, at least in my experience.

So if you have a 1 pound package that is 24" x 12" x 6" the dimensional weight is 10.41 pounds, so you need to use the 11 pound rate and not the 1 pound rate. That is a substantial difference!

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

my concern is I already sold 4 of this item before and It cost my only $7 to ship

@peter_kbs 

Shipping is calculated by size, weight, and distance.  Here is a screen shot from USPS for a 5 lbs. parcel (12 x 10 x  8 from a zipcode in your area to me in S. FL.   Note the only service that is close to the price you are showing in your listing is Media Mail, which is not applicable, nor seemingly added to your listings.  

Here are the prices for an eBay postage label, which would be eligible for Cubic rates, which are not shown in the USPS chipping calculator. First image is Zone 8, other is Zone 1.

http://www.ebay.com/shp/Calculator

Screen Shot 2024-03-06 at 9.28.51 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-03-06 at 9.27.35 AM.png

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@peter_kbs 

Here is some more information for you in the link with regards to calculated shipping.  I would suggest that you go to one of your listings and select "revise" and compare carefully what you have entered in the shipping section to see why it is showing such a low cost on your listings.  

I would have to suggest also, that what you "shipped for in the past with no problems" may be due to the fact that the previous parcels made it through without being 'caught' for size/weight discrepancies.  So, it is best to correct the issue before it happens again. 

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/shipping-items/setting-shipping-options/using-shipping-calculator?...

Message 15 of 16
latest reply