cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS to replace First Class Package, Retail Ground, Parcel Select with Ground Advantage Summer 2023

As USPS implements price & service changes every July (think the first year was August), I expect that's about the time they're planning to roll this out.

https://postalnews.com/blog/2023/02/10/usps-seeks-to-replace-first-class-package-service-with-usps-g...

WASHINGTON, Feb. 10, 2023 /PRNewswire/ — As part of its overall strategy to enhance its shipping offerings, the United States Postal Service today filed a procedural filing with the Postal Regulatory Commission (PRC) notifying the commission of the Postal Service’s intention to replace its existing First-Class Package Service category with USPS Ground Advantage. USPS Ground Advantage will feature two-to five day service standards for packages up to 70 pounds.

The filing streamlines and simplifies package shipping options for customers and enhances the Postal Service’s ground product offering with the anticipated summer 2023 launch of its improved ground product — USPS Ground Advantage.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 1 of 164
latest reply
163 REPLIES 163

Re: USPS to replace First Class Package, Retail Ground, Parcel Select with Ground Advantage Summer 2

@norskmediashop wrote:

yes but if you bulk edit to the new service once available, its going to delete any other options you have active such as expedited etc. we already tried this with a few changing from priority to parcel select, and while it changed it to the parcel select it deleted the priority option, giving customers only one option, so bulk editing is not going to work unless your content with just one shipping option being available. Normally we like three being available to the customer. I don't know what were going to do next month, ebay is throwing sellers under the bus, there is no reason it cant automatically switch over like the current parcel select will be. 

Then you're not doing it right. On the bulk editor you can select multiple shipping options. If you select only one that will override what's in place with just the one.

Parcel select won't automatically update unless it's the only shipping option on the listing.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 106 of 164
latest reply

Re: USPS to replace First Class Package, Retail Ground, Parcel Select with Ground Advantage Summer 2

@norskmediashop wrote:

yes but if you bulk edit to the new service once available, its going to delete any other options you have active such as expedited etc. we already tried this with a few changing from priority to parcel select, and while it changed it to the parcel select it deleted the priority option, giving customers only one option, so bulk editing is not going to work unless your content with just one shipping option being available. Normally we like three being available to the customer. I don't know what were going to do next month, ebay is throwing sellers under the bus, there is no reason it cant automatically switch over like the current parcel select will be.

Buyers only need one option. Anything else is just utter confusion. 

I've NEVER offered more than 1 type of service in 22000+ transactions in 13 years and NOT ONCE has a buyer EVER asked about anything different. 

They simply don't even know there are 'options' when buying (1 out of 100,000 might)- simply NOT worth the trouble. 

Message 107 of 164
latest reply

we have had many buyers choose priority or express over a lesser one like first class or media etc...when they can see more shipping options available to them its been a good thing, for us anyway.

Message 108 of 164
latest reply

I always offer Priority as a second option on listings which offer Media Mail, so buyers who are in a hurry can choose to pay more. And if buyers who paid for MM complain about slow delivery time, I can gently point out that they had an option to pay for faster.

Message 109 of 164
latest reply

Buyers only need one option. Anything else is just utter confusion. 

I've NEVER offered more than 1 type of service in 22000+ transactions in 13 years and NOT ONCE has a buyer EVER asked about anything different. 

They simply don't even know there are 'options' when buying (1 out of 100,000 might)- simply NOT worth the trouble. 

I also disagree with this - shipping prices vary widely across the country so I usually offer Parcel Select, UPS, and Priority in that order on the listing, that way that have choices. Not sure if this is changing but since Parcel Select doesn't have the option of retail rates vs online rates for us as sellers, often Priority is actually cheaper for me than the retail Parcel rate. So I will end up shipping Priority for less than the buyer paid for Parcel. Not sure if this is changing though on July 9th.

Message 110 of 164
latest reply

@tori_729 wrote: ... I usually offer Parcel Select, UPS, and Priority in that order on the listing, that way that have choices. Not sure if this is changing but since Parcel Select doesn't have the option of retail rates vs online rates for us as sellers ...

Parcel Select Ground IS the discounted online rate. The retail equivalent is called Retail Ground. Both services used to be known as Parcel Post.   

Message 111 of 164
latest reply

Hey @wastingtime101@nobody*s_perfect@iamalwaysright, I have great news!  I have just received word that this has been updated!  Previously, it was set up where Parcel Select was required to be the sole service offered, in order for eBay to automatically update the listing to reflect Ground Advantage.  This is no longer the case.  Now, your listing CAN offer multiple shipping options, and still have Parcel Select automatically updated to Ground Advantage.  

Kyle,
eBay
Message 112 of 164
latest reply

Yes, that IS great news.

Now, about those listings with First Class . . . 

Message 113 of 164
latest reply

I’m waiting for that, too.  Almost all my packages are first class package 🥴

Message 114 of 164
latest reply

kyle@ebay wrote:

Hey @wastingtime101@nobody*s_perfect@iamalwaysright, I have great news!  I have just received word that this has been updated!  Previously, it was set up where Parcel Select was required to be the sole service offered, in order for eBay to automatically update the listing to reflect Ground Advantage.  This is no longer the case.  Now, your listing CAN offer multiple shipping options, and still have Parcel Select automatically updated to Ground Advantage.  

what about listings that currently have first class package shipping option? announcement says they will have to be changed manually within 30 days.

Why can't eBay automatically change them to ground advantage same as they are saying they are going to change parcel select automatically.

I think a few hundred of my 1100 active listings have first class package as an option or exclusive shipping method and I don't think there is a way for me to select them to change them manually and dont think bulk edit would be capable of picking them out and changing them but I think ebay programmers should be to revise routine that is going to change parcel select to also change first class parcel to ground advantage

Message 115 of 164
latest reply

I am concerned about the adjustment also.  I was looking at the business policy page (shipping) section.

I am going to create a new business policy which includes 'ground advantage' 

You can then select your former policy that has your FC items and select 'Reassign Listings' and move them in bulk to your new ground advantage policy.

Message 116 of 164
latest reply

I just put in an item. it was 4.24 and on the 9th it will be 8.07??!!So basically doubling the previous postage.!!

Message 117 of 164
latest reply

Likely because the system is not yet set up for Ground Advantage.  Could be defaulting to the Parcel Select rate.

On the 9th one would hope that it will detect the weight/dimensions to show the correct Zone 6 amount.

Message 118 of 164
latest reply

@dadanddaughterantiques wrote:

I just put in an item. it was 4.24 and on the 9th it will be 8.07??!!So basically doubling the previous postage.!!

The online postage cost for packages up to 15.99 ounces will stay the same for Ground Advantage as it currently is for First Class packages. I don't know how you got $8.07.

Message 119 of 164
latest reply

That's exactly what I got!!! I just shipped an 8 ounce package, the Ground Advantage rate was $8.09! Unbelievable. I still have access for First Class for 3 more days so I was able to buy the lable FC and pay $4.24 but the Ground Advantage rate was available and it was $8.09, which is what the customer paid because I'd just listed the item and I selected the GA shipping option. The online postage cost for packages up to 15.99 ounces is NOT staying the same. I put in lower weights to see what would happen to the cost and it was $8.09 for any under-a-pound package.  And in case anyone is wondering it was a west coast to a west coast address. Wow. Excuse me while I go throw up.

Message 120 of 164
latest reply