cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS to replace First Class Package, Retail Ground, Parcel Select with Ground Advantage Summer 2023

As USPS implements price & service changes every July (think the first year was August), I expect that's about the time they're planning to roll this out.

https://postalnews.com/blog/2023/02/10/usps-seeks-to-replace-first-class-package-service-with-usps-g...

WASHINGTON, Feb. 10, 2023 /PRNewswire/ — As part of its overall strategy to enhance its shipping offerings, the United States Postal Service today filed a procedural filing with the Postal Regulatory Commission (PRC) notifying the commission of the Postal Service’s intention to replace its existing First-Class Package Service category with USPS Ground Advantage. USPS Ground Advantage will feature two-to five day service standards for packages up to 70 pounds.

The filing streamlines and simplifies package shipping options for customers and enhances the Postal Service’s ground product offering with the anticipated summer 2023 launch of its improved ground product — USPS Ground Advantage.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 1 of 164
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

USPS to replace First Class Package, Retail Ground, Parcel Select with Ground Advantage Summer 2023

Hate to mark my own post as a 'best answer', but I want to get these price charts up top and I can't edit the OP. Updated post based on new price chart released May 26, 2023.

This change is going into effect July 9, 2023

Some highlights from the PRC (link) & the new price chart released 5/26 (link) :

Rates are being established for USPS Ground Advantage, reflecting both ounce-based and pound-based rates, to take effect on July 9, 2023. These rates are designed to closely align with existing ground package rates established in January 2023. Prices for packages under a pound will match existing First Class Package rates.

USPS Ground Advantage pieces that are undeliverable-as-addressed are entitled to be forwarded or returned to the sender without additional charge.

Up to $100.00 of General Insurance coverage is included at no additional cost

Size and Weight Limitations
Minimum: large enough to accommodate postage, address, and other required elements on the address side

Maximum Cubic size: Various, not to exceed 0.1, 0.2, 0.3, 0.4, 0.5, 0.6, 0.7, 0.8, 0.9, or 1.0 cubic feet 2125.3

Maximum Cubic weight: 20 lbs

Maximum All Others Size: 130 inches in combined length and girth

Maximum All Others Weight: 70 pounds 

A charge of $100.00 applies to pieces found in the postal network that exceed the 70-pound maximum weight limitation or the 130-inch length plus girth maximum dimensional limit for Postal Service products. Such items are nonmailable and will not be delivered. As described in the Domestic Mail Manual, this charge is payable before release of the item, unless the item is picked up at the same facility where it was entered.

Dimensional rates will apply and nonstandard fees will apply for any package exceeding the limits.

PRICES (clipped - see DMM Notice 123 for full charts):

groundadvantage-retail.png

groundadvantage-commercial.png

groundadvantage-cubic.png

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 55 of 164
latest reply
163 REPLIES 163

More info:

https://about.usps.com/newsroom/national-releases/2023/0210-usps-ground-advantage-product-and-pricin...

• Simplifying Shipping Product Offerings. On October 28, 2022, the Postal Service was granted approval by the PRC to remove USPS Retail Ground from the Competitive product list, eliminate Parcel Select Ground from the Parcel Select product, and expand First Class Package Service to 70lbs among other enhancements. In today’s filing, the Postal Service is notifying the Commission of its intent to rename the First-Class Package Service product and introduce the Postal Service’s enhanced ground product — USPS Ground Advantage. USPS Retail Ground, Parcel Select Ground, and First-Class Package Service will be incorporated into USPS Ground Advantage.
GLORIOUS!

Message 2 of 164
latest reply

I think is will also cost more.   When ever the "improve" things it always does.

Message 3 of 164
latest reply

You're probably right, but OTOH it could be just a name change. I've never understood why Retail Ground and Parcel Select Ground had such different names -- USPS doesn't use different names for the retail and commercial versions of Priority Mail. Only recently, USPS merged the separate names for Priority Mail Commercial Base and Commercial Plus, so the service is now just called "Priority Commercial," after a few years of the prices being identical under the two names. So now the next step in simplifying is apparently merging these 3 other services into one name.

A few trends have pointed towards this change over the past couple of years.  The gap between pricing for Parcel Select Ground and Priority Mail has been increasing, while delivery time for PSG has decreased.  The prices for First Class package have gone from per-ounce to 4-ounce increments.   

Message 4 of 164
latest reply

I don't care what they want to call it, but what I expect is a user costly revised fee structure.

As you noted, ounce increments went to 4-ounce increments.  My expectations is that USPS will again adjust that, making the increments even larger like international shipping ranges, resulting in greatly increased cost for some items.

Message 5 of 164
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

As you noted, ounce increments went to 4-ounce increments.  My expectations is that USPS will again adjust that, making the increments even larger like international shipping ranges, resulting in greatly increased cost for some items.

This is where my concerns lie right now, particularly with the under 1 lb packages. I don't want to see them eliminate the oz altogether and go with a flat rate per zone if under a lb, or see an 8 oz split giving 2 rates for under a lb.

Shipping under a lb has already increased exponentially the past couple years and a change like this has the potential to kill FC pricing entirely.

I think they'll get rid of the 15.99 oz limit we currently see on commercial FC and switch it over to a flat 16 oz to simplify things.

Waiting for that new pricing structure to see what happens.

GLORIOUS!

Message 6 of 164
latest reply

Oh gawd...

Message 7 of 164
latest reply

@wastingtime101  Just asking in case you know, before I try to read all the regulatory language.  Does this imply that FC will then actually all be shipped Ground? 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 8 of 164
latest reply

USPS switched FCP to ground in 2022 (unless there's extra room in an air shipment). So that part of it already changed. The big question is how pricing will be structured for packages under a pound (see post 6 above) @simply-the-best-for-you.

GLORIOUS!

Message 9 of 164
latest reply

Postal Service’s intention to replace its existing First-Class Package Service category with USPS Ground Advantage.

Too Confusing with UPS Ground.  No Frequent Flier Miles using this mailing service with American Airlines' AAdvantage.  I mean who at the US Postal Service cannot think of some original names?

Message 10 of 164
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

USPS switched FCP to ground in 2022 (unless there's extra room in an air shipment). So that part of it already changed. The big question is how pricing will be structured for packages under a pound (see post 6 above) @simply-the-best-for-you.

@wastingtime101  Now that you mention it, that does sound vaguely familiar.  I think many pkgs are still going air.  Though maybe I'm just lucky cuz I'm 'pretty middle of the US', so most of my pkgs still arrive in 2 days.   I guess we'll have to wait 'n' see on approval & pricing.  Thank you so much! 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 11 of 164
latest reply

This happened in June:

Within the contiguous United States, service standards will be accelerated from two-to-eight days to two-to-five days for the same affordable price. Items containing hazardous materials or live animals are not eligible for the upgraded service standards.

Under this change, customers will experience faster delivery. In addition to enhanced service and accelerated delivery times, customers will benefit from an affordable, medium-speed shipping service for packages in excess of 1 pound.

Message 12 of 164
latest reply

Hate to mark my own post as a 'best answer', but I want to get these price charts up top and I can't edit the OP.

This change is going into effect July 9, 2023

Some highlights from the PRC (link) :

Rates are being established for USPS Ground Advantage, reflecting both ounce-based and pound-based rates, to take effect on July 9, 2023. These rates are designed to closely align with existing ground package rates established in January 2023

USPS Ground Advantage pieces that are undeliverable-as-addressed are entitled to be forwarded or returned to the sender without additional charge.

Up to $100.00 of General Insurance coverage is included at no additional cost

Size and Weight Limitations
Minimum: large enough to accommodate postage, address, and other required elements on the address side

Maximum Cubic size: Various, not to exceed 0.1, 0.2, 0.3, 0.4, 0.5, 0.6, 0.7, 0.8, 0.9, or 1.0 cubic feet 2125.3

Maximum Cubic weight: 20 lbs

Maximum All Others Size: 130 inches in combined length and girth

Maximum All Others Weight: 70 pounds 

A charge of $100.00 applies to pieces found in the postal network that exceed the 70-pound maximum weight limitation or the 130-inch length plus girth maximum dimensional limit for Postal Service products. Such items are nonmailable and will not be delivered. As described in the Domestic Mail Manual, this charge is payable before release of the item, unless the item is picked up at the same facility where it was entered.

Dimensional rates will apply and nonstandard fees will apply for any package exceeding the limits - this is nothing new.

PRICES (clipped at 20 lb - see linked doc for full charts):

Ground Advantage - Retail.pngGround Advantage - Commercial.pngGround Advantage - Cubic.png

GLORIOUS!

Message 13 of 164
latest reply

As a USPS employee for over 33 years, now retired this brings back a memory. The Area Office wanted all of the District management employees to read this book titled, "Who Moved The Cheese." I believe it was actually part of some training exercise of Dupont or some other large company. The USPS paid a pretty large sum to implement this "Cheese" training and buy books for everyone. ($20K ?). To be honest, I didn't read the whole book because I hated change, to begin with. I guess that's why I changed positions from IT Mgr after 10 years - too much change. Anyway, sounds like the USPS has this book still lying around in their corporate "reading rooms" (wink). Lord only knows how the world coped with little change in the old days. 

Message 14 of 164
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

Hate to mark my own post as a 'best answer', but I want to get these price charts up top ...

Don't feel bad -- that was a super-excellent answer!  It's great to have all that info pulled out into one handy place. Thanks.

It does look like we're losing that last ounce of First Class package shipping, and 15+ ounces will ship at the one-pound rate which is a pretty big price jump. I predict a lot of wailing, hand-wringing and flap-trimming.

Message 15 of 164
latest reply