cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS recklessness

If you want what youve paid for, do not use the post office! They delivered my stuff to my front door on Halloween night unsecured. Now it says delivered and its missing. Idiot postal worker didn't think too clearly on this one. Over the years ive complained about delivery confirmation. Its a loophole so the don't have to be accountable for your valuables. I personally take my outgoing mail directly to the post office due to my mortgage payment being lost. Our government at work. Red

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: USPS recklessness

If you have a missing package you can go to the Post Office and get the GPS coordinates and make sure it was delivered to your address.

When I'm waiting for a package I track the delivery every morning to see if it's 'out for delivery' and make sure to meet the mailman that day.   Most USPS routes are delivered in a time frame within an hour's window everyday.   It's very predictable.   

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

@har-6407 wrote:

If you want what youve paid for, do not use the post office! They delivered my stuff to my front door on Halloween night unsecured. Now it says delivered and its missing. Idiot postal worker didn't think too clearly on this one. Over the years ive complained about delivery confirmation. Its a loophole so the don't have to be accountable for your valuables. I personally take my outgoing mail directly to the post office due to my mortgage payment being lost. Our government at work. Red

And you would be here complaining if the carrier would have left a notice for the package too probably. 

You know your area. You know your areas Trick or Treat schedule. You also know what packages you are expecting. 

Frankly if I lived in town and expected packages and I was not going to be home for Beggers Night I would have put my mail on hold. 

It is up to every person to have a secure area for their mail, it is the carriers job to deliver said mail, the carrier was just doing their job.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

@har-6407,

What do you think the outcome would have been if the package was delivered by UPS or Fed-Ex, and left at your front door?  I have some real horror stories about what those two companies have done to my packages.

Like toysaver, I too track my packages, that is why ebay puts the tracking number in your purchase history after all.  Maybe if you had checked it yesterday and seen that it was out for delivery, you might have checked your front door area more often.

There is always a chance the item was delivered to a neighbor's home or left behind a shrub. Have you checked with neighbors or looked around your house?  There is even a slight possibility your item was not even addressed to you. It may have been sent to a business address in your zip code in a priority or 1st Class envelope. There are some scammers on ebay.

You can take your tracking info to the P.O. and request the GPS location of the delivery, as well as the delivery address and package info.  They can also ask the carrier on your route if they left the package someplace else on your property.  If you cannot get to your P.O. you can call their customer service number and speak to a rep.

"Over the years ive complained about delivery confirmation. Its a loophole so the don't have to be accountable for your valuables".

It is not a loophole. eBay's Item Not Received (INR) system is automated. If there is a tracking number a computer checks it for a delivery scan only, and denies claims that have one.  

However, if you do a little leg work and get info in writing on USPS stationary saying an item was addressed to a different person, or delivered to the wrong address, you can appeal the original case upload your proof to the appeal and will get a refund.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Sorry. It is the BUYERS responsibility to have check on the delivery of their packages. So what do you prepose as a solution to this? Perhaps get signature tracking and ask sellers to do that for you so they will hold it at the PO safely. FED EX and UPS also has signature tracking. Sellers are not obligated to put Sig tracking on items unless they are worth at least a certain amount of money here so you have to ask the sellers to do that for you and pay for that.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

add me to the list of those who keep up with tracking and then keep an eye out for the delivery vehicle on the day of...

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

The carrier was NOT just doing their job.  They are supposed to decide whether to leave a package or a pickup slip, based on factors such as risk of theft or damage (e.g., due to bad weather).  This carrier chose to leave the package rather than leaving a pickup slip at a time when risk of theft was especially high.  IMHO if the carrier was delivering so late that they ran into trick-or-treat hours, they should have either rung the doorbell and handed the package to the recipient, or left a pickup slip.  That's what my carrier always did when I lived in a place with high pedestrian traffic and a very exposed front stoop.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

The carrier did decide it was safe-you just do not agree with their assessment so your issue then is with your carrier and you need to take that up with your local post master/carrier supervisor.

You can file a complaint on usps.com help-contact us-email-personnel.These complaints get attention from higher up and are forwarded to the overseeing post office

This is a user to user board not eBay employees.
----------------------------------------------------------------
When people show you who they are, believe them
Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Get a Post Office box. Your packages delivered via USPS will be safe & secure at the Post Office of your choice until you pick them up. You are out of luck for options if you have packages delivered via Fed Ex or UPS. You take your chances with them.

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

You can use a PO Box for FedEx and UPS deliveries if you sign up for USPS's "Street Addressing Service."

https://www.usps.com/pobox/customer-agreement-for-premium-po-box-service-enhancements.pdf

In this case, it seems that the OP's location is usually a safe place for package deliveries, but last night was of course a very different situation re people wandering onto his porch.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Not the carrier's issue.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

The carrier was NOT just doing their job.  They are supposed to decide whether to leave a package or a pickup slip, based on factors such as risk of theft or damage (e.g., due to bad weather).  This carrier chose to leave the package rather than leaving a pickup slip at a time when risk of theft was especially high.  IMHO if the carrier was delivering so late that they ran into trick-or-treat hours, they should have either rung the doorbell and handed the package to the recipient, or left a pickup slip.  That's what my carrier always did when I lived in a place with high pedestrian traffic and a very exposed front stoop.

Sorry but if you are in an area that you need this type of added service then you should request and pay for Signature Tracking or get a PO Box. I have been a carrier for 20 years. I have had onlt 2 instances of packages stolen in that time on my route. Well 3 but one was actually the family dog that broke into a package of Greenies. The other two were a van that was following us, UPS and FedEx  for a couple weeks. They took a package of bacteria test strips and a oragami book from inside a mailbox right after I delivered it (customer got a partial plate), the other was recent and was a set of bed sheets. also from in a mailbox. Farmer was on the tractor and saw me deliver but when he got back from moving hay it was gone.

No matter what we do and the steps we take there will be some % of theft. Heck I have cameras all ver the B&M and still we do have shoplifters.

Like others have said you know the mail schedual at your address so you need to be proactive. Your mail carrier CAN NOT knock or ring the bell and wait unless they need a signature. I have over 500 stops to make on my route. I have 8.20 hours alloted to sort and deliver the route.  In addition to the letter mail I usually have 100 or more packages some over 50# and 97 miles of back roads to navigate. From experiance I know that it will take 1 to 3 minutes for someone to come to the door, you are stuck making some small talk or they think you are rude and call the Postmaster.  

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

I bought a $327 item on Ebay that was shipping via USPS Priority on Oct. 3rd and it isn't here as of Nov. 1st and USPS tracking shows no status past Oct. 6th. Numerous contacts with them and they can't tell me anything except that it is "in transit" and "running late". It should have taken no more than 3-4 days. Guess this isn't the carrier's fault either. Must be Trump's fault.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@emplehod-sales wrote:

I bought a $327 item on Ebay that was shipping via USPS Priority on Oct. 3rd and it isn't here as of Nov. 1st and USPS tracking shows no status past Oct. 6th. Numerous contacts with them and they can't tell me anything except that it is "in transit" and "running late". It should have taken no more than 3-4 days. Guess this isn't the carrier's fault either. Must be Trump's fault.

It's been past 21 days so you can file a lost mail claim.  You should also sign up for text notifications. This sometimes helps jog the system. 

And yes this wouldn't be the carriers fault as it hasn't gotten to the carrier yet. However since tRump gave the Postamasters job to DeJoy in exchange for a 2.5 million dollar "donation" and then DeJoy systematically started to remove and destroy our sorting machines i do think he is at least in part to blaim.

Also it could be that the label was poorly printed or damaged. 

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

"Numerous contacts with them and they can't tell me anything except that it is "in transit" and "running late""

If "them" is USPS (rather than the seller), then the package has been entered into the system and the buyer should just file an "Item not received" claim.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply