cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS is having problems and sellers get blamed!

I've noticed that USPS is having major issues, caused not least by Coronavirus but also intentional policies that are designed to hurt the Post Office (thank you, government).

Some first-class packages have been taking 5-10 days for delivery, and even Priority Mail is no longer reliable.

I have been getting cases, complaints, and now bad feedbacks, as if the buyer can't look at the tracking and see it was shipped the same day they ordered.

This is frustrating, does anyone know if eBay will help with these feedbacks if they were shipped on time?

Message 1 of 51
latest reply
50 REPLIES 50

Re: USPS is having problems and sellers get blamed!

I've had a bunch of customers emailing me about their package not being delivered and asking why.    Why don't they check the tracking number and stop emailing me.   USPS updates say delayed   mostly   or something like that.   Its been happening to 1/2 my packages over the past 2-3 weeks.   

Message 2 of 51
latest reply

I've been battling this for a month now. As the announcement says. Ebay will help safeguard you against defects. However should you receive a negative or neutral ebay REFUSES to strike that feedback. Even if in the comment the only complaint they have is "delivered 4 days after guaranteed date". So on one hand yes they will protect you. On the other hand NO they will not protect you. It is almost infuriating to me that if a buyers only complaint is the shipping delay, that ebay cannot look and see that you shipped in the same day and there is nothing the seller could have done to stop the delay. Sellers are always to blame when a carrier does not meet it's obligation I suppose. Sellers are held to high standards which is understandable. Allowing sellers to ship same day, using first class or priority and then receive a negative or neutral based on a carrier delay is unacceptable! Ebay is being very short sighted in this and is only fanning the flames by keeping their silly "guaranteed delivery" date.

Message 4 of 51
latest reply

USPS has been poorly managed for decades, no matter how many billions they were given out of our taxes, yearly price increases, etc. And now, it has a perfect blame for its incompetences to lousy job.

eBay is fully aware of it, and needs to extend the delivery time. I know there are many announcements for sellers, but buyers still can open INR cases as usual. USPS is out of control, but eBay needs to adjust policies to the third party we are dealing with.

Message 5 of 51
latest reply

@beautifulbeauty2012 wrote:

USPS has been poorly managed for decades, no matter how many billions they were given out of our taxes, yearly price increases, etc. And now, it has a perfect blame for its incompetences to lousy job.

eBay is fully aware of it, and needs to extend the delivery time. I know there are many announcements for sellers, but buyers still can open INR cases as usual. USPS is out of control, but eBay needs to adjust policies to the third party we are dealing with.

USPS has never now or in the past been funded by your taxes. Our budget is set at a "break even" point  and is funded solely by postage paid. Yearly increases are because of increases in operation costs.  Some examples are an aging postal vehicle fleet. (LLV's were designed to last roughly 11-20 years. The first one rolled off the assembly line in 1987 and the last in 1994. so even the newest ones are closer to 30 years old than the max expected of 20. 

Rural carriers must supply our own vehicles which we get paid maintance on.  I go through 2 sets of tires (10 ply if I can get them) and two sets of brakes, ON TWO RIGHT HAND DRIVE JEEPS (those are not cheep either.  This is what I am in now only mine has 243,000 miles not 145,000 (check the price on this 10 year old Jeep. https://www.postalpete.com/vdp/12729348/Used-2010-Jeep-Wrangler-Unlimited-Sport-RHD-Right-Hand-Drive...

I know we make mistakes from time to time but honestly I see the packages that customers that come in complaining about them being late. More often than not the label is wrinkled or the ink so faded instead of bleck and white it is off white and white.  THe box is often mashed due to empty space within the box (Amazon boxes are almost all like this.)

I can say though that I think it will get worse. The new Postmaster General tRump appointed wants it to fail.  He and his wife own between 35 and 70 million dollars of stock in USPS's competition. He was appointed not because he knows how to run it but because he gave tRump over 2.5 million donated to his campaign. It SCREAMS conflict of interest. And his first order of buisness is no overtime, carriers do not get overtime pay, but we often take longer than the evaluated time now due to a vast increase of packages because people are buying on-line more.

Message 6 of 51
latest reply

American taxpayers give an $18 billion gift to the post office every year https://fortune.com/2015/03/27/us-postal-service/

I know where you get your "news", but we`ve been bailing USPS out for a very long time. And as far as I remember, USPS had always had corruption/theft investigation. It is a disgrace for the country and its citizens. 

Message 7 of 51
latest reply

The biggest problems I am having with shipping is the bigger Depos Like NJ and CA. seems like everytime I check tracking on items it will be in NJ for several days. I am sure the co19 is making it harder for them, and more people are buying online.

Message 8 of 51
latest reply

a lot of people use their cell phones for ebay. and the app can be limited for showing shipping details

Message 9 of 51
latest reply

That fortune article you linked to is a farce written by someone trying to push a agenda of doing away with the post office.

https://fortune.com/2015/03/27/us-postal-service/

"He estimates that, all told, the subsidies and legal monopolies that Congress bestows upon the post office is worth $18 billion annually."

What the heck is this guying talking about?

The post office has a SINGLE monopoly on First Class Mail under the U.S. Constitution. The post office was established by the Second Continental Congress in 1775 and predates the the ratification of the Constitution in 1788.

"Post office officials have often attributed the losses to the decline in demand for first class mail in favor of more efficient modes of communication"

Here are the actual facts:

https://facts.usps.com/table-facts/

First Class Mail volume has dropped from 77.6 billions pieces in 2010 to 16.5 billion pieces in 2019. That is due to more efficient ways of communication such emails, online bill payments and online banking which do not require the use of First Class Mail services.

"and congressional mandates"

Below is a link to an article from February, 2020, regarding a vote in House of Representatives to end the horrible Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act which required the prefunding of retirement costs for 75 years. This bill required USPS to set aside up to $110 billion dollars over the course of 10 years to cover the potential cost of retirees for the next 75 years.

USPS had lost money for 13 years straight and most of those loses have been due to this bill. In 2019; for instance, 83% of USPS's $8.8 billion loss was due to this bill that was introduced by Congress to raid USPS funds to offset their own overspending. This money is not sitting in an account anywhere earning interest for USPS. Congress has already spent it and given USPS a IOU just as Congress has given the American taxpayers an IOU for all the money paid into social security all these years.

govexec.com/pay-benefits/2020/02/house-votes-end-controversial-usps-payments-future-retirees-health-care/162912/

"Saturdays and to unprofitable parts of the country"

Actually its far worse than that. Congress has has along history of requiring more and more from USPS beyond it original mandate. The oldest form of Congressional fraud in regards to the Post Office was appointing unqualified family members, friends and political allies to local postmaster jobs.

When the Post Office was established by the Constitution its distance based fees only covered the transfer of items from one post office to another post office. It didn't include home delivery. It was your job to get your letter to a local post office. Whoever was to receive the letter needed to get to travel to the local post office to pickup it up.

Free delivery to a limited number of city addresses was not introduced until 1863 when local revenues would cover expenses. By 1880 it was offered in 104 cities and 796 cities by 1900. Free rural delivery was not experimented with until 1896 and did not become permanent until 1902. Parcel Post was added in 1913.

Saturday delivery has been suspended in 1947 for some cities due to budget problems. In 1957 it was temporarily suspended nationwide. Parcel Post Saturday delivery was suspended in over 6,000 cities from May 1964 to January 1966 due to budget concerns.

about.usps.com/who-we-are/postal-history/delivery-monday-through-saturday.pdf

"Laws that bar any other shipping service from delivering mail and packages directly to residential and business mailboxes."

What is this guy talking about?

USPS has a monopoly on First Class Mail which includes letters and small packages that weigh up 13 ounces (15.9 ounces commercial rate). UPS and FedEx are free to delivery packages to residential addresses so long as they do not contain First Class Mail!

"The Post Office is exempt from state and local property and real estate taxes, along with other burdens like tolls, vehicle registration fees, and parking tickets. These exemptions save the USPS $2.18 billion per year."

But then UPS & FedEx both USPS to complete deliveries as it cheaper than completing the delivery themselves. So how much does this save FedEx and UPS?

In turn USPS's largest paid contractor is FedEx, which uses it fleet of airplanes to move USPS's time sensitive packages, with USPS completing the final delivery. So how much less business would FedEx have if USPS dropped them as a contractor?

"These higher labor costs, plus the absence of a need to innovate due to government-granted monopolies"

Once again what is this guy talking about? USPS has a monopoly on First Class Mail only.

Message 10 of 51
latest reply

I shipped an item July 7

Refunded buyer July 29 due to usps issues

Buyer received it August 3

Can I ask the buyer to pay me since they received it?

Thank you

Message 11 of 51
latest reply

@brandsonhands wrote:

American taxpayers give an $18 billion gift to the post office every year https://fortune.com/2015/03/27/us-postal-service/

I know where you get your "news", but we`ve been bailing USPS out for a very long time. And as far as I remember, USPS had always had corruption/theft investigation. It is a disgrace for the country and its citizens. 

The USPS, the US Postal Service, is not subsidized by taxpayers. It is part of the federal government, but it has been an independent agency since 1971. Congress can and does pass laws on its operation. However, Congress gives it no funds from other federal revenue sources, .

USPS has had operating deficits in recent years. There is debate as to reason for the deficits; the USPS proposed elimination of delivery of mail on Saturdays, that is, delivering first class mail Monday to Friday only, as a way to lessen the deficit. The US Congress passed a law requiring the continuation of Saturday delivery of first class mail. The USPS also delivers packages, and handles final delivery for many major shippers.

There are people who hold a view, a strange view to my way of thinking, that the federal government subsidizes the USPS not by giving it any money but essentially by virtue of its status as a federal agency, with a monopoly on first-class mail, allowing the agency to avoid some costs that private delivery services must pay. It was put forth in this article in Fortune magazine in 2018, at http://fortune.com/2015/03/27/us-postal-service/

That argument ignores the obligation of delivery to every part of America for the same price, and meet other requirements imposed by the US Congress, not the least of which are continued Saturday mail delivery and a very large fund for pensions owed to employees, larger than is good financial practice. A first class letter to an address in a big city is the same price as for letter addressed to someone in a sparsely settled rural area. Private sector mail delivery would not deliver mail on those terms, seeking profit over service.

The USPS operates in a challenging environment in the era of e-mail, which decreased the use of first class mail, and the rise of package delivery associated with online shopping. Private sector delivery companies in some ways compete with USPS on package delivery and in some ways co-operate with those firms. The higher-than-normal pension funding requirement has contributed to deficits in this century. The chart of operating balance (surplus or deficit) is shown in the Wikipedia article on the USPS. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Postal_Service

To repeat, there is no transfer of taxpayer funds as you call them to the USPS. USPS gains its funds from the sale of stamps and from contracts with package shippers. They pay their employees, buy their vehicles, do research on improvements to letter and package delivery, maintain local post offices and mail distribution facilities, all from funds USPS collects directly for its services.

This is a list of facts about the USPS, put together by the USPS. https://facts.usps.com/top-facts/

Message 12 of 51
latest reply

@themanualguy wrote:

a lot of people use their cell phones for ebay. and the app can be limited for showing shipping details

The app can be limited in showing the pictures and discriptions also and this can lead to higher returns and SNADS.

If I do look for something using the app I ONLY put it on my watch list and check for addtional info on my desk top before bidding or buying.

Message 13 of 51
latest reply

Below is a link to an article from February, 2020, regarding a vote in House of Representatives to end the horrible Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act which required the prefunding of retirement costs for 75 years. This bill required USPS to set aside up to $110 billion dollars over the course of 10 years to cover the potential cost of retirees for the next 75 years.

USPS had lost money for 13 years straight and most of those loses have been due to this bill. In 2019; for instance, 83% of USPS's $8.8 billion loss was due to this bill that was introduced by Congress to raid USPS funds to offset their own overspending. This money is not sitting in an account anywhere earning interest for USPS. Congress has already spent it and given USPS a IOU just as Congress has given the American taxpayers an IOU for all the money paid into social security all these years.

govexec.com/pay-benefits/2020/02/house-votes-end-controversial-usps-payments-future-retirees-health-care/162912/

EXACTLY!

Another fun fact is that I started with the Post Office in 2000. I was hired under the new system, meaning that I got a pay check but no benifits. Same with Alan and Jimmy whowere relatively new also. Charlie was under the old system and did get time toward his pension and sick days. Being a full time dairy farmer also he had no desire to go full time. He basically worked his one day a week for the ability to buy health insurance which his paycheck barely covered and when he retired he recieved a very small monthly check. He would joke later that it was worth about what it cost to print and mail it. LOL it was more than that but nothing anyone could dream of living on.

Me because I worked 13 years as a sub without the ability to contribute time or funds. I have to make it another 3 years before I can collect a pension at the lowest level. To get a full pension I have to work until I am 73, IT AIN'T HAPPENING. At 60 my right hand will not fully open, my wrist, elbow and shoulder have issues and I have some girlie issues due to all the heavy lifting. My aim is for those 3 years then I plan to bow out as soon as I can manage.  Thankfully I do have some extra non USPS income and if I can pay off the house by then I'll do fine with that. 

Message 14 of 51
latest reply

@jesus_fan15 wrote:

I shipped an item July 7

Refunded buyer July 29 due to usps issues

Buyer received it August 3

Can I ask the buyer to pay me since they received it?

Thank you

You can but they are not obligated to do so. 

Write them a polite  message and cross your fingers.

Message 15 of 51
latest reply