cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS getting brutal with packages

We sell a lot of fragile items so we pack super well, my girl who does all the packing learned from a high end store and she does a great job you can just look at all our feed backs and see the comments that are left for the packing jobs she has done. In the last month we have had 3 items break which is very rare so I asked 2 people one at the post office and one that works in a distribution center if they have heard about a increase in breakage. Both responded with a absolute yes and have said that the new Postmaster General DeJoy has made a lot of people unhappy  and also said that there are people there who back him in trying to make people think that using mail in voting is unsafe and they are beating the **bleep** out of packages, envelopes ect. So I have shifted more to Fedex whenever I can make the cost work out. I did see the note from ebay saying we should seek alternative shipping due to the issues with USPS. I thought it was just delay issues but it's more than that so I suggest to over pack well when shipping USPS. 

Message 1 of 57
latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

Re: USPS getting brutal with packages

A news post came across my phone this morning about a discovery of USPS letters and packages found dumped behind a salon in L.A. and then some more were found down the road further. Now it was reported and a USPS. employee was sent to pick them up. I again just shake my head and wonder about work ethics in this country.

Message 2 of 57
latest reply

It's a felony to tamper with USPS mail which should discourage that kind of behavior.

Message 3 of 57
latest reply

If some USPS employees are beating the  bleep out of packages, it's more likely because they're upset at the  reduced hours and are trying to get back at DeJoy so that he will take the heat for all the delays and reduced service at the USPS.

Message 4 of 57
latest reply

Poor employees. My mail carrier has been working 14-15 hours a day with extra routes added to his daily route. He says he is happy retiring in 2 months because he hasn't seen so much destruction of sorting machines, not hiring people enough for the millions of packages being thrown at the mail carries with no help in sight. He says he in his 30+ hasn't seen so much of a mess from a government administration as this one currently destroying the USPS credibility. 

On my part, first class packages are taking 5+ days instead of 3, Media? Don't even ask me about it! 😫 

Your vote count, don't waste it on this type of governments. 

latest reply

Could be they are tossing them more to keep their Covid-19  distance.

Message 6 of 57
latest reply

I understand your frustration.  I too sell mostly breakable items and do my best to pack my items as if they were being shipped to me. I use Priority, for the most part, just in case I need to open a case with the USPS and can't resolve it with the buyer directly. Although I do have exceptions.

I have said this here before, and I say it again, our postal workers deserve kudos for their hard work day in and day out for all of us, as they risk their health and that of their families. They work incredibly hard. 

I applaud them and say to you, mistakes are made, and ultimately, it is up to you how you choose to ship and with whom. 

I wish for you success in all you do,

Grandma

Message 7 of 57
latest reply

Yes I'm sure it goes both ways, DeJoy is now under another investigation, what a horrible pick for the Postmaster General, as usual no vetting.

Message 8 of 57
latest reply

He's not that poor, with double shifts and accrued overtime he will probably clock almost 200k this year.  This problem started in March because of the pandemic. The letter sorting machines don't pertain to the packages being lost or slowed. Perhaps their covid procedures were supposed to be for a month or two, but created such a back log that this is the result. I can say my packages have been getting through to my east coast and west coast, but middle America still lags, as well as in my own state.

Message 9 of 57
latest reply

I agree letter sorting machines have nothing to do with packages, The issue is the horrible moral caused by DeJoy who owns stock in companies who compete with the postal service and makes a lot of money by degrading the Postal service. My carrier said his overtime has been slashed but has been given a larger route he said he has to drive 55 mph on 30 mph roads just to get done in the day. This just does not make for happy employees. 

Message 10 of 57
latest reply

Same here! Breakage that absolutely should not have happened! And packages going missing on USPS. I am no longer putting "FRAGILE" stickers on my packages, as it may encourage some people to deliberately throw the items.  Also no longer putting "eBay" stickers or "eBay" tape on the packages sent by USPS. And we are using FEDEX Home Delivery even though it is a 35-minute drive vs. a 5-minute drive to USPS. We live in a very rural area in the mountains of Vermont. I am getting very fed up with USPS.

Message 11 of 57
latest reply

it took over 2 weeks for a letter to get from my employer to me .....  i live a half mile from work 😄

Barb
i don't suffer from insanity ~~ i enjoy it ...
Message 12 of 57
latest reply

I just hope FedEx and USPS don't merge.  People would really be FED-UP

Message 13 of 57
latest reply

Oh boy! I just read a news article that was on I think CNN that showed a huge truck with a guy dumping packages and mail on the ground behind some kind of business and driving away. It may be worse than anybody can imagine and the most completely insane thing is that THIS GUY IS GETTING AWAY WITH HIS blatant plans to disrupt the election and get rich off his stock investments. 

Message 14 of 57
latest reply

Yep a horrible pick that was planned from the start I believe and most Americans I believe know the score. I hope this whole thing backfires in you know who’s face.

Message 15 of 57
latest reply