cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS AND DELAYED PACKAGES.

Ok am I the only one who has had some packages take an extreme amount of time getting to your buyer? With that being said i had a disgruntal buyer when his package was not there yet amd opened a case against me. So i refunded him. Now what the hell happens when he gets the package in a few days and ive refunded? Ebay you should really be doing something about this as covid has slown basically the only reasonable priced shipper and packages are not arriving in time and the seller is dealing with it and it sucks. Its

an ongoing problem and you should have the sellers back on this as its not so far. Any ifo would be appreciated.  

Message 1 of 55
latest reply
54 REPLIES 54

Re: USPS AND DELAYED PACKAGES.

Due to a combination of some shippers being short-staffed because of the pandemic and the upcoming holiday increase in packages being shipped, there are quite a few delays in shipping.  There is nothing eBay can actually do about this because eBay neither owns nor controls the shippers.  You, as the seller, can increase your handling time a little bit.

Another possibility, when a buyer opens a case, is to contact him, explain the above and ask him if he minds waiting just a little longer.  

Message 2 of 55
latest reply

It would be useful if you indicated what the delay was (10 days, 30 days?). Based on what the tracking says perhaps you shouldn't have refunded. Without details it is hard to say what the timeline of your responses should be. Ebay gives you several days to respond to a case, if you don't, they step in. If the tracking shows that it is on its way, i.e. there are several scans already, you could've called ebay and ask them to extend the deadline for you to issue a refund. I did it once, the sales rep saw that the package is moving within the system and gave me extra 5 days before  I needed to respond and issue a refund. The buyer got the package before the extra 5 day extra.

As the situation stands right now, you can only hope, that the buyer, once they received their order, will pay you back.

Message 3 of 55
latest reply

You are not the only one. I didn't have any issues at all the last few months during the pandemic and when our president tried to sabotage USPS. 

It only started the week of Nov 21. Now I am seeing all sorts of delays across the board. 

Message 4 of 55
latest reply

I have the feeling that, as we get closer and closer to Christmas, this will happen more often.

Possibly the combination of some USPS facilities working short staffed and the increased volume of packages due to the uncoming holiday.  

Message 5 of 55
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

Due to a combination of some shippers being short-staffed because of the pandemic and the upcoming holiday increase in packages being shipped, there are quite a few delays in shipping.  There is nothing eBay can actually do about this because eBay neither owns nor controls the shippers.  ...

There sure is something that eBay can do about it:  eBay provides the estimated delivery date that the buyer sees in the listing, which in turn determines when a buyer can file an INR claim.

Message 6 of 55
latest reply

I also just had to refund a buyer.  Shipped her package as promised 1st Class on Nov 21.  Going to NJ but stuck in Baltimore, MD since Nov 23.

I'm waiting for a purchase to arrive.  Bought Nov 20 from seller near Traverse City, MI. (8 hours from me).  It finally made it to Detroit, MI Nov 30.  (1 hour from me).  At this rate I don't expect to receive it before Christmas.

Message 7 of 55
latest reply

And .... USPS Priority Mail is now estimating 3 days to get from Toledo, OH to just outside of Columbus, OH.  (Less than 3 hours away).

Must be going by horse and buggy.

Message 8 of 55
latest reply

I have 3 currently that usps.com says "arriving late." All  3 buyers have contacted me complaining. I'm waiting for the cases to be opened. USPS is performing terrible. I'm thinking about switching to UPS but they are too expensive. Holiday season starting out bad.

Message 9 of 55
latest reply

Increasing your handling times will not help much if any.  Eb will adjust the EDD shown to buyers once a package is scanned.  Eb seems to be going by the USPS estimated delivery dates when giving buyers updated EDD's.  USPS is the one giving overly optimistic delivery dates and then eb spreads the optimism to buyers, making some of us sellers who depend on USPS look bad.

Message 10 of 55
latest reply

I Agree with everything that was said here except the part that Ebay can't do anything about it. They certainly can can do away the ridiculous guaranteed delivery times they are showing buyers. I can't speak for everyone around the country but here in the midwest, especially Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin to name a few it has been really slow just getting items through the sort facilities. Every package I have sent is running late and at last check was taking 6 days (for a first class package) just to get through the first sort facility. I am seriously considering just shutting down for awhile until things change, are at least Ebay offers some protection for sellers from slow deliveries.

Message 11 of 55
latest reply

pullulate93.123
Adventurer

Yeah it's hit or miss. I had returned something that is 3000 miles away and it got there via return service in about 6 days. I ordered something 8-9 days ago that's only 400 miles away and the post office has had it for over 7 days and it's "late" still. Ridiculous. Holidays, the bad flu season in 2020, changes by the usps that have made it even worse, if that's the carrier you're referring to. USPS has no excuses, they overpay for the same jobs, like all over the quasi/gov sector, that would get 25% less pay in the private sector then complain about "understaffed". Classic extortion tactic for more money and benefits next year. I don't see ups, fedex getting handouts and they do just fine or they go out of business, not so with the spy-usps.

Message 12 of 55
latest reply

We have numerous packages that are 7+ days and a few that are now 14+ days in transit. I attempted to file a missing mail form today (I have 4 new ones to file) and it gives an error message that means the system is overloaded or the server is down. It is so frustrating. I send a courtesy message to every buyer the day that it ships to let them know to expect potential delays. It takes some extra time but I feel that it has prevented numerous INR claims. After 7 days, I file the USPS "help request form" and after 14 days a "missing mail" form which will show on the tracking  information.  I realize it overloads the USPS system but I find that making a trail on our end of doing everything possible to get their package there has resulted in mostly reasonable customers.  However, I have had to do a couple refunds or send product replacement, if available. Ebay had extended the estimated delivery dates for several months but now I see that they are back close to pre-Covid and non-holiday transit estimates. Seriously?

Message 13 of 55
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

I have the feeling that, as we get closer and closer to Christmas, this will happen more often.

Possibly the combination of some USPS facilities working short staffed and the increased volume of packages due to the uncoming holiday.  

If they don't get their Christmas shopping done soon, they might not get it until next year.

Have a great day
Message 14 of 55
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@soh.maryl wrote:

Due to a combination of some shippers being short-staffed because of the pandemic and the upcoming holiday increase in packages being shipped, there are quite a few delays in shipping.  There is nothing eBay can actually do about this because eBay neither owns nor controls the shippers.  ...

There sure is something that eBay can do about it:  eBay provides the estimated delivery date that the buyer sees in the listing, which in turn determines when a buyer can file an INR claim.

Didn't they extend the estimated delivery dates to give more time for packages to arrive?

Have a great day
Message 15 of 55
latest reply