cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item shipped through the Global Shipping Program not arriving at buyer's address in United Kingdom

I have been communicating with a person that I shipped a small parcel to through eBay's global shipping program over a month ago.  I shipped it in a timely manner.  Tracking keeps showing it got through customs and is 'out for delivery'.   It appears from talking with the buyer that because of the Royal Mail employees being on strike, eBay contracted with a private shipper called Evri.  From calling them, the buyer learned that the package had been put out to be put on a truck to be delivered but the truck did not pick it up.  This happened three times, which I guess they consider three attempts at delivery even though the package was never delivered, and even though it seems that the delivery man, the person suposedly driving the truck that was to carry the package to the buyer's address never even attempted to take the package to the buyer's address.   Now they say the package is on its way back to me.   I messaged back and forth with the buyer and suggested that they open up a 'item not received' case and then I suggested that they check with the eBay community in the United Kingdom to see if other buyers were having the same problem.  It appears from what the buyer has passed on to me that this is a widespread problem.   I don't think the seller should have to refund with their own money when the seller did everything properly, shipping through the global shipping program in a timely manner.  My question is this.  Are any of you sellers who ship packages to the United Kingdom through the global shipping program having the same problem?  If so, eBay must be made aware that this problem is widespread.   My buyer is also reporting another package that did not arrive and she is also waiting for two more but they are still in the normal time period for a package to be out.  It is turning the buyer off from buying through eBay again.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Item shipped through the Global Shipping Program not arriving at buyer's address in United Kingdom

I had one lost thru the Global Shipping Program.  It arrived to the UK ok but never made it to the buyer.  eBay reimbursed the buyer and that is how the GPS is suppose work.  You package is not lost yet.  I would call eBay and ask to speak with the GSP Team to see what they advise.  Someone is going to be out the shipping fees both ways.  If you have to reimburse wait until you receive the item back.  If it is damaged make a claim thru GSP.

You can try this email but I am not sure if it still works.

ebayshippingteam@ebay.com

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

This is one reason I will never ship out of the US.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

@ebooksdiva wrote:

This is one reason I will never ship out of the US.

You don't when using GSP.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

You fulfilled your shipping obligations to the GSP when your item was accepted at the Global Shipping Center in Kentucky.  It's now the GSP's responsibility to ensure safe delivery of the item.  If the buyer were to file a claim through the MBG for a non-delivered item, any refund would come from the GSP, not you.

(You probably know this, I just wrote that for the benefit of those who may not understand the workings of the Global Shipping Program.)

I doubt you'll see the item come back to you, though, as you can't keep your money from the sale and have the item back in your possession.  It's likely being returned to the Global Shipping Center and will find its way to a liquidator and be sold off (possibly on eBay) to help mitigate Pitney Bowes' loss on the sale. 

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

I should add that except for some Canadian shipments, the Global Shipping Program generally doesn't use the postal system within an item's destination country.  The carriers they use tend to be smaller, less-efficient ones than the "big names" we often see.  You're likely looking at a perfect storm caused by high seasonal delivery volumes and Brits turning to alternatives to the postal system to get their seasonal gifts delivered.

Having said that, a lot of these smaller carriers don't have terribly good reputations in the countries in which they're based and for some reason they struggle to get items out to their destinations.

It will be interesting to see how "last mile" delivery is handled with the new eBay International Shipping program being phased in.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

US buyers don't ever have lost packages?

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

@stephenmorgan wrote:

Someone is going to be out the shipping fees both ways.  If you have to reimburse wait until you receive the item back.  If it is damaged make a claim thru GSP. 

Wondering what you meant?

The "not arriving at buyer's address in United Kingdom" GSP package doesn't know how to make its way back to the OP.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

@papa486516 wrote:

@stephenmorgan wrote:

Someone is going to be out the shipping fees both ways.  If you have to reimburse wait until you receive the item back.  If it is damaged make a claim thru GSP. 

Wondering what you meant?

The "not arriving at buyer's address in United Kingdom" GSP package doesn't know how to make its way back to the OP.

The poster stated "Now they say the package is on its way back to me."

If the item is returned because it could not be delivered for some reason then who will pay for the shipping going and then who pays for the return shipping?

The poster already paid for shipping, do they get refunded because item is returned?  Will the item arrive with shipping due?

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Might be just me, but I do not see GSP on any of your listings. I see USPS priority, but no GSP and it should show for ma as I am in Au.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 10 of 16
latest reply

I don’t see global shipping on your active or sold listings either .  Are you sure you used the gsp? If you did use them, they will be the one who refunds,  not you.

If the package is returned, it will be returned to the gsp Center, not to you.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I don’t see global shipping on your active or sold listings either .  Are you sure you used the gsp? If you did use them, they will be the one who refunds,  not you.

I'm wondering if the OP used eBay International Standard Delivery.  I recall Lotz pointing out when it was first introduced that listings for items that are handled through ISD don't always have ISD stated as the shipping method on the listing page.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Thanks for your comment.  I have spoken to the Global shipping people at eBay.  I will not be held responsible as I did everything right and my buyer is supposed to be refunded through eBay by the 7th of January.   From reading the multiple comments here, I did find out that eBay does not use the country's established mail services, but rather, contracts with private companies, probably choosing the ones that offer to do the job for the smallest amount of money.  Choosing saving money in order to make a bigger profit, over reliability of service does not really set well with me as buyers with bad experiences don't want to buy through eBay anymore.  I lost what would have been a repeat buyer.  

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Thanks for your comment, but check again as I do have Global Shipping on my listings.  I worked with eBay to make sure that Global Shipping was the only way I would ship after I got an order for a very large item that was supposed to go to Armenia.  GSP does not deliver to Armenia which is a red flag for me, but that is a different issue.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@manylittle8h99 wrote:

Thanks for your comment.  I have spoken to the Global shipping people at eBay.  I will not be held responsible as I did everything right and my buyer is supposed to be refunded through eBay by the 7th of January.   From reading the multiple comments here, I did find out that eBay does not use the country's established mail services, but rather, contracts with private companies, probably choosing the ones that offer to do the job for the smallest amount of money.  Choosing saving money in order to make a bigger profit, over reliability of service does not really set well with me as buyers with bad experiences don't want to buy through eBay anymore.  I lost what would have been a repeat buyer.  

Glad it worked out for you the same like it did for myself.

Did you call them or did you use the Mail?

Message 15 of 16
latest reply