cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something is not adding up....

I sold a T-shirt and the customer sent me a message stating that they got the package but there was nothing inside. This is very strange because when I sell a shirt. I put it in a Poly Bag Mailer and then seal it. I then weigh it on a scale to get the correct weight when I print a shipping label thru ebay. I think I would have noticed that there was no shirt in the package. I double checked my inventory for this certain shirt and I have no extras and everything checks out. They do have an 18 feedback rating all positive. I asked the customer if it was tampered with and even went as far to ask them to send a photo of the packaging. I am %100 sure I mailed it.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Something is not adding up....

I wasn't there, but I'm pretty sure you did as well.

btw buyers can only have positive (ie - means nothing)
Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Since you are unlikely to prove to ebay's satisfaction that your buyer received the shirt, you will be issuing a refund to your buyer. A potential SNAD

Another example of the cost of doing business.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Yeah this guy seems shady. I know I mailed it. He also is not answering my questions (like did the package looked tampered with?). I asked him to send pictures and he "claims" he took 2 pics and included them with his return request.  I looked at it and guess what? No pics at all. I have 100% positive feedback and don't need this guy holding negative feedback over my head. Of course even if I contact Ebay about this. I am sure they will side with the customer. I just refunded him to avoid any headaches. I wil keep his user I.D. written down so if he ever buys anything from me I will just cancel his order. 

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Do not do that. Add the user name to your blocked bidder list. If they order from you again and you cancel it, that will count against you.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

While you probably did ship the correct item, it is possible that the shipment got caught in the machinery and the contents separated from it.  Normally the USPS sends the packaging with a notation as to its condition on to the addressee if it is still legible.  Unfortunately, they may not be able to connect the particular contents to a particular package.  You will probably need to take the buyer's word and refund.

I know it sucks, but what else can you do?

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

If the package was damaged and the contents missing, you can file an insurance claim with USPS.  Sellers are insured for either $50 or $100 depending on whether you have a tore or not.  Check with your postmaster.  That way if you are forced to make a refund, you can recoup your loss.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

@theposhmermaids wrote:

If the package was damaged and the contents missing, you can file an insurance claim with USPS.  Sellers are insured for either $50 or $100 depending on whether you have a tore or not.  Check with your postmaster.  That way if you are forced to make a refund, you can recoup your loss.

Stores have nothing to do with it.  Method of mailing does.

USPS Priority Mail come with 'up to $50' of insurance.  That's for Retail or Commercial Base pricing.

It is 'up to $100' if you get Commercial Plus pricing (TRS Sellers or sellers with 300+ sales per month)

Looks like it was sent First Class.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

The thing is the guy never said it was damaged or resealed. He refused to send a picture of the packaging. I just refunded him even though I know he was probably lying.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

If it came out of the package en route it would have arrived with a big yellow sticker on it from the Post Office.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

I know it's not any help now - but I sell clothing and I always tape the label right on the envelope flap overlapping by a bit.

When I ship in a box I often support the box itself by circling cardboard strips around the item several times, like a tire. The strips are cut interior height to reach from box bottom to box top, yes it might raise the postage a bit but box is less likely to crush. Also I tape the sno+ out of a box, up, down, around. 

Your receipt from the post office will show weight when shipped, your buyer nor eBay care to hear it but it is proof to YOU that it wasn't an empty envelope.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

p.s.
I forgot I wanted to mention I did get one shipment of my poly envelopes with very little adhesive. It's not a size I use often but I don't worry about it since I started taping across the flap.
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

I know the thought of negative feedback can be worrisome, but I would never reward a scammer with a free product. If it was a legitimate complaint they would have gladly provided photographs of the damaged poly-mailer. Especially claiming they did upload it, what would it have hurt to re-send them to you in a message or re-upload them into the request? It's because they're clearly lying. And the PO would have marked that package as damaged/missing contents most likely. Definitely add that buyer to your BBL so he can never purchase from you again. I go a step further and have a database with known names/addresses/usernames of problematic buyers just so they can never try to create a new account and purchase again. If you catch one you could cancel without no backlash from Ebay because it's against their policy to go around a seller's block by creating a new account. I would also report the user to Ebay for abusing EBay's MBG with a fraudulent claim.

Had that been me personally, I would have contacted that person's local PO or wherever the package went through for delivery and spoken to the PO Master stating what the buyer claimed and inquired if the package was indeed damaged. Really just depends on the size of the town and how helpful the PO wants to be. If anything I would have bluffed him a little and stated within the return request that you've spoken to his local PO and they are checking into it. If you use the mail system to defraud someone that is mail fraud and most people are just ordinary people looking to score something free but when it comes to actually getting in trouble, or them thinking they'll get into trouble for their little lie they back down.

I realize you don't want to get any negative feedback from a buyer, and most may leave it because they aren't getting their way if you throw a monkey wrench into their plans and they don't get to score that free item or a partial, however I would gladly take the negative and respond appropriately before I would allow someone to scam me on principle alone. But that is just me. As a buyer I don't pay much attention to a couple or few negatives as I know you can't please everyone. It's more on how you respond to that negative or neutral that matters to future, potential buyers.
Message 13 of 13
latest reply