cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer wants to cancel but item already shipped

I sold an item via Buy It Now and buyer paid right away and I shipped the item the next day (yesterday).  Today the buyer emailed me that they bought my item by mistake and wants me to cancel  the order.   We are talking a pretty expensive item with $50+  shipping costs.  How do I handle this?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

You tell them that you already shipped and provide them with the tracking number.  Then you tell them they can return it for a full refund if they choose after it arrives, and give them your return address. 

If you don't do this (and maybe even if you do,) they will make a claim of Not As Described and you will be forced by eBay to pay the return shipping and give them a full refund.  If you refuse, eBay will take the money from you, refund the buyer and let them keep the item.  They will also give you a HUGE defect on your account that could get you suspended if you have any more. 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Thanks for the quick reply. I was afraid that would be the case. Another question: I sent the item with Signature Required. Can they just refuse the package and have it "returned to sender" or doesn't the post office do that anymore?
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

you can go to USPS website and intercept this package asking his local post office to return it back to you,but you will pay a fee like13 dollares.

or if they refuse the package,it will come back to you,if it is usps priority,then no return postage,first class or parcel,may be.

your best bet is be nice to them and ask them just refuse the package.

and tell them you would not refund shipping,not sure if you can do so via eBAY these days.

give them a call and lay out the options, 

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

you can go to the order details and go thru the motion like buyer request cancel and see if eBAY allows you to give partial refund ,without actually doing it.     

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@hwa_59 wrote:

you can go to the order details and go thru the motion like buyer request cancel and see if eBAY allows you to give partial refund ,without actually doing it.     

No need to do that. eBay doesn’t allow partial refunds when you cancel. There’s no option to issue a partial through ebay.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

You can tell him to refuse the package & you’ll refund the item price only when you get it back.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 7 of 7
latest reply