cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Short sighted rule

When we add the following to a listing:

Due to the coronavirus pandemic we are changing our return policy from “Returns Accepted” to “No Returns”. We hope you understand why such a change is necessary.

eBay prohibits it with this response:

We do not allow products marketed to treat or cure the coronavirus. If your product is permitted under our policies, you may relist without referencing the term coronavirus.

Typical eBay thought process.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Short sighted rule

the eBay bots are picking up the word "coronavirus" and possibly "pandemic" too; replace with other/different wording...

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

You could just say "due to the current crisis".

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

As noted, you can just re-phrase it.  But why do you even have to point this out at all? Buyers can see what your return policy is.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@hobbystuff99 wrote:
Due to the coronavirus pandemic we are changing our return policy from “Returns Accepted” to “No Returns”. We hope you understand why such a change is necessary.

As a buyer I would not understand why such a change is necessary unless it was a directive from your health care provider, and buyers really don't need that kind of personal info. The world health organization says it's safe to receive packages from areas with outbreaks.

Without explaining why it's necessary you're basically saying it's safe for them to open a package from you but that it's not safe for you to open a package from them. Did you put a hold on your mail with USPS until this crisis passes? If you're still getting your mail then getting a return package wouldn't be any different than handling your daily mail.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying don't change your return policy. It's your business and you need to do what works for you. If that means no returns then great, eBay makes that option available. I'm saying that I wouldn't add text about it, particularly the part about buyers understanding why it's necessary.
GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I don't see why it would be necessary for you to stop accepting returns. Buyers who want to return the item will just make a Not As Described claim and you will have to pay for the return yourself.
----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

General Reply:
Quote from the 05 March eBay Announcement:

"We will continue to monitor the evolving situation and quickly remove any listing that mentions COVID-19, coronavirus, 2019nCoV (except books) in the title or description."

So using any of the banned terms in a description, and they will be legitimately removed. Legitimately because there is the statement in black and white.
Do I agree with it under all circumstances? Actually that does not matter - it eBay's sandbox, etc. ad nauseum.....................
Message 7 of 7
latest reply