cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay return closed because paypal dispute, but there is no paypal dispute

I ordered an item that turned out to be a scam.  The seller (obviously) refused to return my money, so I filed a case with ebay.  Ebay resolved the case in my favor, and said my money would be refunded when the item was returned.

So I printed out the return label, sent the item back, and provided ebay my tracking number.

Today, I get an email saying that my case "has been closed due to a PayPal dispute being opened for the same order."

I did not open any paypal disputes, and clicking on the "Paypal resolution center" (which the email directs me to), shows zero open cases.

I've already sent the item back.  Ebay will not let me appeal anything because the case is "closed".

What do I do now?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

File with PayPal
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

As the burner posting ID said @greghumphreys now actually open the PayPal dispute that you haven't opened yet: http://paypal.com/disputes

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Go back immediately and click Escalate to PayPal at the bottom of the Messages page. Don't reply if your seller contacts you now, and don't close the claim.

If PayPal says to return the vibrator, upload the eBay return tracking number showing that the vibrator has already been delivered back to the seller. Then wait for PayPal to force the refund.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I didn't pay with paypal; there is no transaction to dispute.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Ebay closed the case.  There is no escalate to paypal button anywhere.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@greghumphreys wrote:

I didn't pay with paypal; there is no transaction to dispute.

You can only Escalate to PayPal if you had opened a dispute at PayPal.

If you paid @greghumphreys with a credit card, call the number on the back and file a chargeback for Goods returned Credit not issued. This is the sweetest revenge, as you already have a tracking number showing delivered back to the seller, so the seller is forced to fully refund, still pay all fees, plus pay a $20 fine.

Otherwise, if you paid otherwise, you've paid tuition on learning how to pay.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Sure, I can do that, but I would also like to understand why ebay marked the case resolved in my favor, told me to ship the item, and then closed the case with no sensible explanation and no way to appeal.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply