cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Postal Service

Does anyone else feel that the postal service has gotten so high it is hurting your sells? When you do make a sell a lot of the time the post office is the one who benefits the most. Almost feels like I'm getting robbed because I have to keep my prices real low to make up for the high postage.

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Postal Service

Without a doubt and the upcoming surcharges have already made it unrealistic to post a few items I have. Buyers are simply not going to pay the shipping cost.  It is also affecting my buying habits. The increased shipping costs are putting eBay, and other ecommerce providers, at a disadvantage with B&M stores. I seldom buy on eBay anymore simply because I can get it faster and cheaper at a B&M store. I don't have to worry about logistical issues, damage, returns, etc. and I can look at and examine the item before I buy it. 

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

Its only going to get worse expect postage to rise two or three times a year for several years to come. Don't sell heavy bulky items stick to smalls. Especially collectibles. Charge buyers full price postage and make sure you have some decent selling profit items not everything low priced.

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

USPS is still the cheapest method to ship most items.  

Compare USPS prices with those at UPS, FedEx and DHS.

I'm not planning to switch!

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

Every small postal rate increase has an impact at the bottom prices as it makes some items I use to list no longer competitive with the big box retailers.  There are now many former bread and butter items I could buy for a dollar or less and sell for say $12 with free shipping  and still net $5 which comes out to about $30 an hour given the time involved (about 10 minutes).  But with postal rate increases my minimum price to make it worthwhile is now higher than the retail price at the big bigger retail stores.  So for me it is more a matter of preventing me from listing some of the items I use to easily sell rather than impacting the sales of what I do list.  And methinks this trend will certainly continue up the price scale.

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

Remember that postal increases  (both USPS and other carriers)  are the same to all sellers......so don't automatically assume your competition won't be raising prices also...... 

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

There's also the fairly new taxes tacked on too, to make it twice as hard to sell.😕

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

@us-butterfly6 wrote:

Does anyone else feel that the postal service has gotten so high it is hurting your sells? When you do make a sell a lot of the time the post office is the one who benefits the most. Almost feels like I'm getting robbed because I have to keep my prices real low to make up for the high postage.

I find most buyers are *very* price sensitive.  Usually with most of the buyers I have that have made offers, usually I can predict pretty readily whether there's a post office or sales tax motivation behind it.   So there's a lot of factors that hurt sales being forced by ebay/other entities.

Personally, I would have to be about 40-50% higher than everyone else selling the same stuff I have to be able to make any money.  Which isn't going to bring sales.

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

The shipping charges & shipping supplies are definitely going up & definitely affecting online sales. However, the brick & mortar stores are also facing the crunch with rising transportation, material, operations, labor, & other overhead charges. Their prices are escalating & escalating across the board. Therefore, the increased shipping charges is negligible for sales. The biggest factor is inflation. Buyers have less discretionary money to spend and must decide on food, transportation, rent/mortgage, utilities, & other. 

Hang in there!

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

Choose another carrier. I have found that UPS is better now. Last year it was Fedex. 

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

Prices are up on everything.  I for one think that the surcharge on large packages is great.  You need to understand that as a carrier I have a limited amount of room in my Jeep. Since Covid arrived (and a bit before) we went from having around 12 or fewer packages that didn't fit in mailboxes a day to having CASES of staples like diapers, TP, Paper Towels, dog food.  As well as outsized items such as mattresses(over a dozen in the past year) small refrigerators (2), even a drill press and a 69.2# bounce house.

It is a rare day when I don't have my Jeep piled to the roof. Heck a coworker will strap packages on top of his Jeep (my knees say not only No to that but a resounding H**l No). Most carriers now are having to return  and reload several times a week if not daily. I can not do that as my route is in a area that it would take an extra hour to travel back to reload and get back to the route, I would never make dispatch.  This is basically unpaid time. No extra pay and no extra milage, the new system that they are currently getting ready to roll out addresses this and that in part is the reason for the surcharge.  Face it I right now have a package waiting pickup that the only way it ould fit in my Jeep is to go in the back on top of the back seat and rest on the dash. It weighs only around 5# it makes no sense that it costs the same or less than a LFRB who's size is much more manageable. It also should be noted that If I have to take it out, if the customer schedules redelivery instead of picking it up I will be doing so on my own time or if I can fit it in I will be hampered by it for around 4 hours of the route. It will kinda block my side mirror, it will hinder me using my gear shift and it will mean that I have to park and get out to retrieve anything I could normally reach for in the back seat. 

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

@us-butterfly6 wrote:

Nope.

But the cost of driving TO the post office has doubled.

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

"But the cost of driving TO the post office has doubled."

literally doubled!

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

5% of the cars parked on each block in my neighborhood are Teslas. Just a few years ago, an electric car was a rare sight around here.

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

Somebody has to pay for those Christmas bonuses and multiple free paid vacations every year. It might as well be eBay sellers. 

Message 15 of 24
latest reply