cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item not received

Hello, I recently purchased an item from a reputable seller, the item is worth about $550+shipping. It has been a few days past the eBay estimated delivery window and it still hasn't arrived. I sent a message to the seller and asked him if he can provide a tracking number so I can see where the item is. He replied saying that they made a mistake with the order and that the item is no longer available. They offered to send a similar item. I needed that particular one so I am not interested in receiving a similar one. Now my question is, should I request a refund from the seller by messaging him or do I need to open and Item Not Received claim on eBay? Thank you.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Item not received

open an item not received case.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

open an item not received case.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

I would message the seller for a refund and include a deadline. And open a case if he does not meet it. 

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Tell them to refund you in full by end of business today or you will open a NR Case tomorrow morning. 

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

I fully appreciate that  errors can be made but seller behaviour is by choice and in this case I find it unacceptable that your seller did not message you advising you of non availability and offering an alternative which you would have refused and seller would then cancel the order / issue a full refund.

I would send seller a message advising him that he has 24 hours to cancel order ( With correct reason out of stock) and failure to do this will result in him being reported to eBay and a feedback will be left reflecting your experience. 

This will result in a full refund to you and a defect on his account.

Advise you seller that if he chooses any other reason like buyer asked to cancel or there was something wrong with address then you will report him to eBay and will leave a feedback detailing exactly what happened.

Under no circumstances should you open a return case on eBay as no item is received. 

If you open an INR case on eBay then he can issue a refund and there is no defect on his seller lever and a defect on his seller metrics. This case may take between 3-5 days to close.

If you have to open a case then open an INR case on PayPal or with your Bank , Credit card. This will result in you getting your money back and your seller  may not get his final value fees back and may be some additional charges for dealing with the case. This may take up to one month to close.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

1) Thoroughly read the eBay MBG (money back guarantee) policy.

2) File an INR (Item Not Recieved) case. You can only file ONE case on eBay.

3) Seller will have to refund unless they can provide a valid tracking number. It will take X amount of time.

4) Pay close attention to timelines and steps during the case, and ask eBay to step in at the appropriate time if seller has not refunded yet.

Do not communicate with the seller any more except via the case. They will most likely do their best to string you along until enough time has gone by that you cannot file.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

I would open a case and I will tell you why.  Unless your seller is completely  scatterbrained, they should have told and shold have refunded you already.  I think they  were hoping you wouldn't notice until it was too late.

I always play it safe and file an item not received dispute.  I think your seller is shady.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Thank you for your replies, you all have been very helpful. I ended up opening an INR case. Can I ask eBay to read the message that the seller sent me to further substantiate the claim?

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

There should be no need, if you have not received a refund within 4 days, go back to the case and escalate so eBay step in and force the refund.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Always to try resolve an issue with the seller before getting ebay involved. If the seller doesn’t cooperate, THEN get ebay involved. 

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

"Always to try resolve an issue with the seller before getting ebay involved. If the seller doesn’t cooperate, THEN get ebay involved."

Agreed.  Given the buyer has assessed the seller to be reputable, I would have done what you suggest with a firm message requesting a refund.   I would have indicated that since x days had passed without the seller advising of the situation he should understand my concerns and that a case would be opened in 24 hours if the refund is not received by then.

A day more wouldn't make any difference in filing a case and you'd possibly avoid having to deal with eBay.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Most sellers do not want to "work it out" with a dissatisfied buyer. They want them to file a case so everything is done through the proper channels, even if that includes partial refunds. Doing anything outside of the system established just for this purpose, runs a risk of things going very badly.
YMMV

Message 12 of 12
latest reply