cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International Shipping. Is safe to ship to South America (Argentina)?

Two years ago I had a bad experience shipping to Argentina.  The tracking number show that the item left the county, but never arrived.  Anyone had this same problem recently? I have a new order to ship to that country and I'm afraid!!!

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: International Shipping. Is safe to ship to South America (Argentina)?

Totally agree, Sending 1st class to S America you may as well kiss your package and later on your money goodbye, you will not be able to claim for a 1st class package to S America, I send Priority mail only to these countries, covered by insurance and i have delivery confirmation, I have had items spend 8 weeks in Customs alone in S America, at least i know where it is and finally when it clears, i figure if the customer wants the item that badly they will acknowledge the additional postage is for the benefit of us both, the ones that do not buy are the probable INR Buyers.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 9 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

I ship internationally but South America is excluded.   Too many problems shipping to many of the countries there.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Well. As far as I can tell you’re in no-losers situation. If the item gets delivered - you get positive feedback. If the item doesn’t - you get reimbursement from USPS and explain loss of item to the buyer politely. Then reship or reimburse. If Correos Argentina has no signature of the addressee they will have NO CHOICE, but to reimburse USPS, which will further reimburse you. All these procedures are regulated by Universal Postal Union (UN’s daughter organisation) and destination postal service will not be able to deny reimbursement just because they wish so. USPS will just forcibly deduct funds from Correos Argentina’s terminal dues (terminal dues are funds exchanged by postal services worldwide to pay for international Mail last-mile and transit delivery).

I may not be too experienced eBay seller here, but as far I’ve shipped out 22 items to Latin America. Once had INR case, but that one was closed by buyer 5 days later, as the item has showed up on Correios Brazil website. Usually, buyers from LA are legitimate too. I’ve had 3 times items to LA taking over 4 months, yes OVER FOUR MONTHS to get delivered. But guess what? All 3 buyers just sat there and waited, as they knew how their postal services work. No INR cases, no intrusive everyday messages, nothing. They’ve just received the items and let me know about it.

Never had an item lost in Latin America, though USPS has lost 5 of my letters this year only.

Things may look a little bit different to me rather than to you as I’m selling from Kazakhstan (Central Asia-CIS) and u’r selling from US, but I think main things around this topic will be pretty similar worldwide.

Just be sure you use USPS service which covers the value of your item in case of loss. I think First-Class coverage is around 40USD. For more expensive items use Prioirty Mail, even if the item is lightweight and you’re all safe and sound than.

Hope this is helpful to you!

Regards, Zhan.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

@zhank_kz2015 wrote:

Well. As far as I can tell you’re in no-losers situation. If the item gets delivered - you get positive feedback. If the item doesn’t - you get reimbursement from USPS and explain loss of item to the buyer politely. Then reship or reimburse. If Correos Argentina has no signature of the addressee they will have NO CHOICE, but to reimburse USPS, which will further reimburse you. All these procedures are regulated by Universal Postal Union (UN’s daughter organisation) and destination postal service will not be able to deny reimbursement just because they wish so. USPS will just forcibly deduct funds from Correos Argentina’s terminal dues (terminal dues are funds exchanged by postal services worldwide to pay for international Mail last-mile and transit delivery).

I may not be too experienced eBay seller here, but as far I’ve shipped out 22 items to Latin America. Once had INR case, but that one was closed by buyer 5 days later, as the item has showed up on Correios Brazil website. Usually, buyers from LA are legitimate too. I’ve had 3 times items to LA taking over 4 months, yes OVER FOUR MONTHS to get delivered. But guess what? All 3 buyers just sat there and waited, as they knew how their postal services work. No INR cases, no intrusive everyday messages, nothing. They’ve just received the items and let me know about it.

Never had an item lost in Latin America, though USPS has lost 5 of my letters this year only.

Things may look a little bit different to me rather than to you as I’m selling from Kazakhstan (Central Asia-CIS) and u’r selling from US, but I think main things around this topic will be pretty similar worldwide.

Just be sure you use USPS service which covers the value of your item in case of loss. I think First-Class coverage is around 40USD. For more expensive items use Prioirty Mail, even if the item is lightweight and you’re all safe and sound than.

Hope this is helpful to you!

Regards, Zhan.

I'd ignore all of this.  

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

About 30% of my sales are international. I ship worldwide generally without any fear or restrictions. I have not found any one country to be more of a problem than any other country.

I had a package returned from the primary Chile transfer airport marked “received empty”. I filed a claim on USPS insurance and they paid the claim.

I have had packages retuned from both Brazil and Argentina marked “unclaimed” which tells me it was at the post office but the buyer failed to collect it. On the other hand, other packages I have sent were delivered with no problem.

There are some here (green-knight above for example) who says “too many problems”. Maybe, but no more so than even U S domestic mail. Our post office looses stuff too.

I guess you have to consider 2 questions:

1 - How badly do you need the sale

2 - Are your sales sufficient that the loss of one package (if it happens at all) will not financially destroy you.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Why do u say to ignore? Just curious.

@green-night wrote:

@zhank_kz2015 wrote:

Regards, Zhan.

I'd ignore all of this.  

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@mr.cookie wrote:

Two years ago I had a bad experience shipping to Argentina.  The tracking number show that the item left the county, but never arrived.  Anyone had this same problem recently? I have a new order to ship to that country and I'm afraid!!!

What shipping method do you plan to use? 

USPS 1st class int'l does not have tracking for Argentina, but Priority and Express are expensive, and other shipping companies are even more expensive. 

Just make sure you insure your pkg.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@stuff4divas wrote:

Why do u say to ignore? Just curious.

@green-night wrote:

@zhank_kz2015 wrote:

Regards, Zhan.

I'd ignore all of this.  

Because a lot of it is not accurate.  For instance, saying the OP would get reimbursed for a package lost in transit to Argentina is not true.  Assuming the OP sent a package FCI (which is most likely since it didn't get tracking outside the country) the USPS would not reimburse the sender for that.   There may be indemnity coverage PMI or EMI but to simply say the USPS will just reimburse in not accurate.  Other stuff in there too that is either irrelevent or also just not accurate. 

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Totally agree, Sending 1st class to S America you may as well kiss your package and later on your money goodbye, you will not be able to claim for a 1st class package to S America, I send Priority mail only to these countries, covered by insurance and i have delivery confirmation, I have had items spend 8 weeks in Customs alone in S America, at least i know where it is and finally when it clears, i figure if the customer wants the item that badly they will acknowledge the additional postage is for the benefit of us both, the ones that do not buy are the probable INR Buyers.
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Priority Mail only, 1st class is not worth the paper the label is printed on.
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Wrong!!!!

All Letter Mail items (this includes registered small packets which are known as FM Package in US) do include 30XDR reimbursement according to Postal Conevntion of UPU. XDR means special drawing rights, it’s a currency of United Nations which does not have phiscial value, but is rather used to measure different things used by UN. 30XDR is approx 40USD or 14400 Kazakhstani Tenge. And the interesting thing is you will get 30XDR, no matter you send a 10-cent registered postcard or an item worth thousands of dollars. USPS has lost 2 of my postcards (both registered with RR...KZ numbers). Each one was worth no more than 20-cents, but I got 14400KZT (45USD) reimbursement from KazPost each time saying USPS regrets to confirm it has lost your postcard, but it’s not the fault of JSC “KazPost”, you’re always welcome at our post offices again. But USPS does not offer tracking for inbound registered mail from Kazakhstan, or does it? No, it doesn’t, but it DOES record all the scans for it in its database, and USPS dispute resolution dept still knows exactly where’s they’ve last seen that postcard, all though nobody else does; it just won’t show up online.

Ive had a small packet to Kyrgyzstan lost as well, I’ve been reimbursed 13800KZT (the exchange rate was different) also, all though Kyrgyzstan Postal Service does not have any tracking at all!!!!

These numbers you get LN...US or something, all of them are UPU S10 format numbers. S10 are divided into 2 groups, letter mail and package mail. All letter mail identifiers are reimbursable of 30XDR, these are tracking numbers beginning with R,L,U. Exceptions are M-bags (M numbers) which are reimbursable 30XDR per kilogram rather than per a package and V-numbers (Insured Letters), which are reimbursable of full insurance amount.

There is a special message exchange and dispute resolution system, which is used by postal services worldwide and is operated by UPU PTC (Postal Technology Center) in Switzerland. If any postal service does not track an item for whatever reason it completely does not remove its responsibility for delivering it safely and getting proof of it. If delivery can’t be confirmed, the destination service is still at fault, no matter it didn’t track the item through their network.

Furthermore USPS will tell you FMI is not trackeble through many countries, but mostly destination postal services (Kazakhstan particularly) will track them at own websites, but not give info to USPS. If USPS doesn’t wanna reimburse you for ANY (ANY!!!) item bearing S10 identificatior, well it’s about USPS than.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply