cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excessive combined shipping

Purchased some oem iPhone screens from a seller that had 2 different listings, 1-4 screens per listing, $10 shipping. I purchased all he had and shipping came out to $60. About an hour later he put up 6 more listings. I purchased them all. 30 screens total. $300 total for shipping. Price for the screens were normal/good and they are OEM, so I can’t just “move on” and find another listing. 

Messaged the the seller after purchasing the first 2 and they refunded $8 and stated that there was no combined shipping and would come in 2 separate boxes. 

After paying for for the second set of 6 listings, I messaged again and they stated that the cost for shipping includes “handling.” They did refund $100. The second set of 24 screens was shipped in 1 box and I paid $140 for a 3lb fedex three day package that cost less than $35. Seller was very rude and would not specify what handling charges were calculated at. 

I know this is the cost of getting what I want, but I feel like this is very excessive. 

Does this warrant negative feedback or less stars? Thoughts?

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Excessive combined shipping

That doesn't make the practice of excessive shipping/handling fees OK to do.
Message 16 of 22
latest reply

Of course the buyer has a right to ask!

Buyers want to know so they can make a knowledgable choice - if they can afford the order including unseen/unknown shipping/handling fees. Buyers ask me, and as a buyer I often ask.

The sellers who know what they are doing & are honest happily provide clear & usually reasonable numbers.

Those who don't know what the heck they are doing or who are out to take advantage are the ones who like to charge unreasonable handling fees & don't offer discounted combined rates - they want as much money as they can get away with & as long as ebay doesn't address this problem it will go on.
Handling rates are not easily tolerated but those costs are usually chocked up as a cost of doing business - like the ink, packaging supplies & labels or paper used.

I had a seller charge handling fees 1/2 because of the time it took her to find the product I was ordering - this is per our conversation - what? No - that's not a reasonable fee - this is a great example of this problem.
Message 17 of 22
latest reply

Yes, all true.

Funny, this doesn't generally happen with media mail. Seems like perameters should also be set for all other purchases.
Message 18 of 22
latest reply

I understand that sometimes you just know if you don't buy it right now it may not be there in 5 minutes so you deal with the rest after. I've been in your shoes & I hate when people over charge just because they can sneakily get away with it - it's just dirty & wrong & bad business practice.  ebay is very behind on enforcing fair business practices that benefit both parties.

More to your question - I would base the answer on the whole picture - he gorged you on shipping. But he did give you a partial refund, even if it wasn't a proper amount. Was the seller rude or overall ok? I usually leave neutral feedback in these kinds of cases. He was wrong but he tried, and you bought before asking.... so it's kind of a wash... yes?

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

It’s unlikely the poster is still following this thread as it was started last February.

Message 20 of 22
latest reply

@aimee_r_05 wrote:
That doesn't make the practice of excessive shipping/handling fees OK to do.

If the shipping costs are in the listing  there is no excessive shipping/handling being charged.  It is what you agreed to  at the time of placing the order.  In the case of combined shipping, it would be prudent to ask the seller prior to committing to the purchase.  To assume that one would get a discount isn't logical.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 21 of 22
latest reply

Kinda of your fault as you didn't ask about combined shipping ? You seen it listed as such ?  I have ny selling set automatically to give some small type of discounted shipping.  After they win I can always adjust.

If I have that issue with a seller. I pay one at a time and days apart. Some still will wait to ship till you pay for them all.

Your case kinda of sounds like fraud. Charged you to ship everything separately and then cheated and shipped it one box. I'd have a call with eBay.  At least they might note thier account for this.  We can't really advise you as much as they would. Feedback does get attention and they buyer might all of sudden reach out to you. Be honest and professional. Don't sound bitter or crazy. Beware buyer doesn't give comnbined shipping discounts but ships combined.  I have gotten offers to drop my feedback but I just pass. Once I swore eBay removed my feedback cause I got a refund. Yet I never agreed to feebback removal for money nor should it.

Message 22 of 22
latest reply