cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excessive combined shipping

Purchased some oem iPhone screens from a seller that had 2 different listings, 1-4 screens per listing, $10 shipping. I purchased all he had and shipping came out to $60. About an hour later he put up 6 more listings. I purchased them all. 30 screens total. $300 total for shipping. Price for the screens were normal/good and they are OEM, so I can’t just “move on” and find another listing. 

Messaged the the seller after purchasing the first 2 and they refunded $8 and stated that there was no combined shipping and would come in 2 separate boxes. 

After paying for for the second set of 6 listings, I messaged again and they stated that the cost for shipping includes “handling.” They did refund $100. The second set of 24 screens was shipped in 1 box and I paid $140 for a 3lb fedex three day package that cost less than $35. Seller was very rude and would not specify what handling charges were calculated at. 

I know this is the cost of getting what I want, but I feel like this is very excessive. 

Does this warrant negative feedback or less stars? Thoughts?

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Excessive combined shipping

When you made those purchases, you agreed to the shipping costs ... the seller did you a courtesy and refunded a part of the costs.

Why would you leave a negative after the seller did something good for you?

(Some sellers put the cost of their product in the shipping and handling costs).

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

When you made those purchases, you agreed to the shipping costs ... the seller did you a courtesy and refunded a part of the costs.

Why would you leave a negative after the seller did something good for you?

(Some sellers put the cost of their product in the shipping and handling costs).

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

I get that it is part of the cost, but should a seller charge $192 to ship three packages 4 states away that weigh less than 5lbs total with 3 day economy shipping? If I was billed $300 for shipping and they refunded me $275, then it would be fair. But to inflate the shipping fee 5x and claim it to be “handling” in my mind is ridiculous. 

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

You should have contacted the seller about combined shipping before you made the purchase not after.

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

But to inflate the shipping fee 5x and claim it to be “handling” in my mind is ridiculous. 

While I think it is true you should have contacted the seller before hand, I also think it is true that sellers who operate like this are out of their minds. 

It is a obvious gross overcharge.  Bad way to operate as a seller IMO.

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

Do you realize that sellers pay fees on the total sale amount  - which includes shipping costs?

If you paid $300 for shipping, the seller could've been charged $30 on that alone (fee for non-store seller).  And even if they refunded you part of the shipping, those selling fees won't get reversed for a partial refund.  It's all or nothing.

The seller told you they don't give combined shipping discounts.

I do think it's excessive, and I do think the seller acted poorly, but some of this is on you as well.  You didn't ask beforehand.   You paid and then asked.  If they would've combined shipping, they'd need to generate an invoice before payment.

Shipping isn't just postage alone.  No business has to disclose what the breakdown of shipping costs.  That's simply unprofessional to do.  No buyer has the right to ask either.   

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

Combined shipping does not mean discounted shipping, and sellers are not required to do either one.  You should always ask before buying if discounted and combined shipping is available before buying. If you don't see it mentioned in a listing, assume it's not available.

That said...your seller will find himself losing customers.  Buyer retention is just as important as attracting new buyers, and his excessive shipping will only hurt him in the long run.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 7 of 22
latest reply

From you've included in your post I would say that no it does not warrant negative feedback.  Of course, from reviewing you feedback left for others it is obvious that you aren't shy about leaving it.  I'm a bit surprised that you would ask.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 8 of 22
latest reply

I appreciate the advice from everyone. I see everyone’s point, and as a seller myself I know what good practices are. It is a different situation that I have not run across before and I was sour about the whole way the transaction went down, but could also not pass up an opportunity. I would have asked before buying, but the listings would have gone very fast and didn’t want to risk it while waiting for a response. I guess when it comes to it, it is supply and demand and I had to pay more for what I needed. 

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

If you went through with the sale and paid you have a sum total of ZERO to complain about.

You actually have less than zero to complain about since they gave you $100.

You should be giddy about it.

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

You knew the price ahead of time and you assumed that he would discount your shipping?  Why?  He doesnt have to reduce jack and if you left a negative for your competitor you can get reported for business interference and you could get into trouble.  Shipping was stated.

Wherever you go, there you are. Please remember, when you are asked if you are a god, you say yes.
Message 11 of 22
latest reply

OH YES! My ads say to contact me for combined shipping discount before paying!

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

YES! I've had this problem as well. Sellers should not be able to over charge soo much for shipping costs. ebay should have guidelines in place. I am a buyer & I have a store & sell - I always offer discounted combined shiping rates & if they paid without getting the proper discounts - I refund them the difference! I am sick of sellers getting away with having no ceiling on shipping charges.
Message 13 of 22
latest reply

Because it's not ok. I buy & also sell on ebay so I understand from both sides of this. Just because you can doesn't mean you should get away with it. Just like a buyer filing a false INAD case so the buyer gets an immediate return without paying for it - they CAN do it - so it's ok to ust do it? NO! Just like over charging on shipping and even handling.

Sure, buyer should have contacted seller, asking about their combined shipping policy prior to buying - but - $300 for I think what he said cost him $70?! The seller should be obligated to have fair combined shipping pricing - I don't know why ebay has allowed this to continue for soo long.
Message 14 of 22
latest reply

Exactly!
Message 15 of 22
latest reply