Do smart sellers buy insurance?

Discuss...

Message 1 of 38
latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Re: Do smart sellers buy insurance?

@kias wrote:

this time of year i'm nervous about those danged porch pirates

Carrier insurance doesn't cover theft after delivery.

Message 16 of 38
latest reply

@partial*eclipse wrote:

Perhaps she hasn't had enough opportunities to exercise her favorite comment lately.

Those withdrawal symptoms can be rough, when the external supply of insurance posts runs low.

Message 17 of 38
latest reply

@muttlymob wrote:

@kias wrote:

this time of year i'm nervous about those danged porch pirates

Carrier insurance doesn't cover theft after delivery.

And the seller isn’t responsible.

Message 18 of 38
latest reply

Yes, that's what handling fees are for.

Message 19 of 38
latest reply

@sam9876 wrote:

Discuss...

I buy thru shipsaver on 1st class international pkgs that don't have delivery confirmation. It cost only $1 for every $100 declared value and is really cheap for domestic pkgs too. Has helped with the few int'l scammers who claimed they never rec'd the pkg.

Don't know if it makes me 'smart', but it makes me feel more at peace for such little $$.

Message 20 of 38
latest reply

Do smart sellers assume there is one correct answer for every situation?

Message 21 of 38
latest reply

pjcdn2005 wrote:

Do smart sellers assume there is one correct answer for every situation?

Oh ask me, ask me! (Oh, I guess you did).

Absolutely, unequivocally not!

Message 22 of 38
latest reply

If you’re selling something valuable enough to insure, you probably want to think twice about listing it here with all the scams some buyers pull.

Message 23 of 38
latest reply

Smart sellers of mid to high priced items are making enough profit that insurance should not be a problem and your buyers will like that you covered every base because they don't realize it is for your protection, they just think you are a great seller who goes the extra mile!

Message 24 of 38
latest reply

@atikovi wrote:

If you’re selling something valuable enough to insure, you probably want to think twice about listing it here with all the scams some buyers pull.

I've shipped $1500-$2000 (each)  Herman Miller rope edged shell chairs to:

Paris

Tokyo

Amsterdam (several times)

London

Bangkok

Hong Kong (several times)

Stockholm

direct without using GSP and every single time WITHOUT issue.

What you see on these boards is not indicitive of eBay as a whole. The people who have good experiences don't come here to post about it.

Message 25 of 38
latest reply

@sam9876 wrote:

Do smart sellers buy insurance?

No - smart sellers calculate what you WOULD have paid the USPS or insurance companies to insure that expensive item and then deposit it into savings.

Over time you accumilate a small self insurance fund and in time you need to take a hit you deduct from it.

Therefor not having to deal with filing claims and more then likely getting your claim denied anyways by insurance weasels.

Message 26 of 38
latest reply

Buying insurance is a personal preference.  You buy insurance to protect your investment against loss or damage in transit.  Buyers are protected by eBay’s Money Back Guarantee so they get their money back automatically if the package is lost or damaged.  If you ship by USPS Priority Mail you are covered up to $100 if you are purchasing your shipping labels on Ebay. I buy my insurance  through eBay’s Shipsaver for my economy packages because it only costs $0.79 per $100, and they reimburse your shipping expense as well.  I do insure all packages that are fragile because I don’t trust any of the shipping carriers to handle them carefully. What’s interesting is that some people who claim that my item arrived damaged seem to go away when I tell them that my packages are fully insured, and would they please send me a picture of the damaged item so I can file a claim.  I had two of those in the past week and I sent them a couple of messages asking for pictures.  They never responded so I didn’t pursue it further.  I buy cookie jars and these seem to get broken frequently because many people don't know how to pack fragile items and the carriers don't care.  See my attached pictures of cookie jars received this past week

Message 27 of 38
latest reply

Sellers are not responsible for packages that are stolen after delivery.

Message 28 of 38
latest reply

@lightlily_arts wrote:
 ....  If you ship by USPS Priority Mail you are covered up to $100 if you are purchasing your shipping labels on Ebay. ...

Top-Rated Sellers get $100 of insurance because they pay the Commerical Plus rate.  Other sellers pay the regular online rate (Commercial Base), which comes with $50 of coverage.

Message 29 of 38
latest reply

@lightlily_arts wrote:

I do insure all packages that are fragile because I don’t trust any of the shipping carriers to handle them carefully.

If you are relying on careful handling to get your packages safely to their destination, you are not packaging well enough.

You need to package for rough handling because the machinery will not be gentle.  Other packages (up to at least 70 pounds each) will not be gentle.

Insurance won't protect your packages unless you think getting a check for a broken item is an acceptable alternative to receiving an unbroken item.

Message 30 of 38
latest reply