Did you mean: 

Do smart sellers buy insurance?

Discuss...

Message 1 of 38
latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Re: Do smart sellers buy insurance?

@muttlymob

Why do you care about porch theft? Everyone is responsible to provide a place to safely leave mail.

After the package is delivered, the sellers obligation ends. The insurance coverage ends upon delivery.

Message 31 of 38
latest reply

well certainly the "smart" one did...and the "not so mart" didn't.

it depends on a few things , when and how much and why and wherefors....discuss what?  if you can afford to be out the money of an item then you don't , but if you will feel the pain of losing the money, you certainly do....it's a value thing....expensive items being mailed..certainly you would...

Message 32 of 38
latest reply

If an item is damaged in transit, does the buyer have any incentive to cooperate with an insurance claim?

Message 33 of 38
latest reply

I've bought insurance exactly once and that was for a $90 item that was going to an APO address.  I've shipped other items in that price range within the US and I didn't bother to insure any of those.

Message 34 of 38
latest reply

Generally not.

I don't even track most of my shipments.

Partly this is because from Canada, tracked shipping is very expensive, the postal system is very good at what it does, and my customers are very honest-- just part of the demographics I sell to.

We do carry insurance through Hugh Wood International for our own collections and the remainder of DH's philatelic stock. This covers not only the material we ship, but fire and water at home/office, shoptheft, carraige to shows, and material in our car while travelling.

I mostly use Cookie Jar Insurance. This just means that every selling price includes a few pennies as a premium on self-insurance. If I have a claim, which is very rare, less than once a year since 1998, the customer is refunded out of the Cookie Jar.

Note that CJI covers not only loss or damage transit, but the seller's mistakes in describing and/or packing which lead to an unhappy customers.

It also covers the even rarer situation where there may be a scam involved, which can't be proved.

Message 35 of 38
latest reply

After we realized how wonderfully reliable Priority Mail is especially with signature tracking we reduced the overall costs to insure items. The exception is an item over 200 dollars, that would get full coverage. We ended up increasing our profits considerably after reducing some of these insurance costs. The 100 dollar free insurance is sufficient on most items that go into say 150 to 170 range and then the cookie jar can take care of any rare lost/damaged packages. USPS has been absolutely great.

Message 36 of 38
latest reply

Why  do you buy Signature Confirmation?

Message 37 of 38
latest reply

@sam9876 wrote:

Discuss...

Smart sellers, dumb sellers,
sellers that climb on rocks
tough sellers, sissy sellers
even sellers with chicken pox
sometimes love insurance, buy insurance
the insurance sellers love to buy sometimes.

ON VACATION
GONE FISHING
BACK AT 6
Message 38 of 38
latest reply