cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else experiencing severe delays with USPS Ground Advantage?

When I first started using USPS Ground advantage a little about two months ago, packages were arriving a day or two later than the typical Priority mail. Great! NOW it seems that most every package I have sent via Ground Advantage has poor tracking status updates (sometimes not updated until package is actually delivered) or eventually has the notation "arriving late"!

It seems these Ground Advantage packages are sorted through more USPS facilities which is concerning as they seem like they would be more susceptible to loss or damage .

I had hoped this service would save my customers on shipping but now not sure it is worth it seeing as how every package is being delivered up to 5 days later than expected.

My geographical area might not be a "fast track" area for this service but I rarely had a problem if I use priority.

I foresee a lot of unhappy customers that did not have their expectations met.

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Re: Anyone else experiencing severe delays with USPS Ground Advantage?

I have a really well run post office and PO hub.  My outgoing packages are still receiving great feedback about fast shipping, even on ground advantage. My incoming packages seem pretty slow.  My post office is so busy with the holiday package delivery that my mail sometimes arrives and picks up at 8:30 PM.  One problem is that the vehicles don't have room for all the packages and have to make several trips. My carrier told me that if they miss the truck to the hub, one of them drives the mail the 50 miles to the hub.

Message 16 of 33
latest reply

The post office advertises Priority Mail as arriving in 1-3 Business days and Ground Advantage as arriving 2-5 Business days. So technically you are correct, but in reality GA is taking 5-10 Business days.

Message 17 of 33
latest reply

I spoke to my Post Master and Seattle hub is having "issues"

They dont expect it to get better. 

Priority or Ground Advantage are both having issues.

Priority shipment - going to Miami, 12 days. Via Anchorage and Chicago....

Priority shipment to eastern Oregon, 6 days, bounced back and forth between Seattle and Portland.

The Post Master said they are having trouble getting trucks out of Seattle and packages are sitting being scanned every other day as "leaving" Seattle but not going anywhere.

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 18 of 33
latest reply

I haven't had any angry customers just yet but I have had a few anxious ones. When they see that I shipped the items the day of or day after payment and there is no tracking update 3 days later...they get anxious. Most customers understand but a few view it as a reflection of my store or service and not the fault of the PO.

Message 19 of 33
latest reply

The Ground Advantage service had been fantastic until last week.

Now I have multiple packages shipped last week still showing only as Picked Up and our mailman arrives as late as 8 o'clock when he normally comes by 2.

My wife's Amazon packages are arriving in one or two days though, by USPS, UPS, and Amazon contractors

Message 20 of 33
latest reply

Your package will probably go to California before it gets back to Florida.

Message 21 of 33
latest reply

@glenvonnie wrote:

The Ground Advantage service had been fantastic until last week.

Now I have multiple packages shipped last week still showing only as Picked Up and our mailman arrives as late as 8 o'clock when he normally comes by 2.

My wife's Amazon packages are arriving in one or two days though, by USPS, UPS, and Amazon contractors

Same here. USPS overall not scanning like they did prior to the Thanksgiving holiday. I have a Priority Package only scanned at pickup on November 28th. Nothing after that. Should have been delivered on the 1st. Took a chance on a $110 item with USPS Priority. Had I sent it UPS, it would already be there. Serves me right for being lazy and not driving 3 miles to the UPS drop-off joint.

USPS GA has several showing, "arriving late".

UPS had some showing 2-day delays getting out of the Dallas hub but then moving and making it on time. 

Seems like heavy duty delays as compared to last year at this time. 

My wife's Amazon stuff is coming quickly as long as they have it in stock at one of the DFW facilities. Those are all one or two day delivery. Items from 3rd party sellers have been 3-5 business days, not too shabby, so far so good on the receiving end. 

Posting ID
Message 22 of 33
latest reply

"That being said, it would definitely be a good idea for eBay to provide potential buyers with shipping disclaimers to extend the expected delivery dates to account for these regular holiday delays."

Yes, they should do that but they should also not give such unrealistic estimations to begin with.

I mailed a GA package on Friday afternoon from Southeast Texas to Kissimmee, FL. 

Ebay said it should have been there yesterday (Monday).

So, eBay thinks it should travel 1026 miles and be delivered within 48 hours (Sunday should not be counted). 

It actually just finally left the Houston sub-station this morning (Tuesday). 

Even without the heavier than usual holiday shipping squeeze, eBay's estimations are just asinine.

They should mirror what the pro's estimate - USPS says my package should arrive by Thursday (3 days after eBay's unrealistic estimation.) 

Message 23 of 33
latest reply

I have a package that I dropped off on Friday morning and it was going to be delivered Monday. I have no idea where it is at! All my other orders were delivered! This one has (or had) Crystal Barware. So that will make me liable! Last time I submitted an insurance claim with USPS they denied it, said to wait until their letter showed up to appeal the decision. 4 months later, no letter, cannot appeal after 30 days! Can not afford to give post office monies for shipping, products I ship I am now pay for them twice. The holidays are just starting! Good to ALL OF US!

Message 24 of 33
latest reply

I had a buyer 35 miles away it took 8 days. Left positive feedback and blamed the PO thank goodness. This is the main complaint i get is shipping time. Why were rated in our feedback for time is beyond me. Most of my listings are free ship and i always ship in 1 day. Then i ship to Hawaii and it gets there in 3 days go figure. I am in the Gulf side of florida.

Message 25 of 33
latest reply

Yes...I dropped a package at a suburban Milwaukee PO thinking it was closer to the sorting facility than my local PO.  Turns out it hasn't even been tracked after the drop off, where I got a receipt.  Messed up...I'm now into this for over a week and no trigger on the tracking from WI to MN..go figure.  Their site says wait up to 14 days for Ground Advantage.  I have another package and the costs for just a toy is near $40 (higher than I'll charge the seller).  I'm thinking of taking it to Fedex for their ground delivery as they tend to do much better this time of year.   

Message 26 of 33
latest reply

Yes.  I have several packages shipped dec 2, no delivery /nothing out for delivery, getting concerned using this service, like others said it was great till Dec hit.  

Message 27 of 33
latest reply

No, usually zone  1 - 4 will be shipped surface.

Message 28 of 33
latest reply

Many of my GA packages are going by air. 

One departed San Bernardino(an airport) on 12/08 arrived in Philadelphia 12/09

This was a media mail item, departed Victorville CA on 12/02 delivered in VT on 12/05

Shipped GA from Hesperia Ca arrived in and delivered in NY 12/01

Message 29 of 33
latest reply

Priority has been rather irksome this season: 5 days NJ to NJ, 7 days NJ to south FL. I stopped using it entirely. Biggest issue I’m having with Ground Advantage is lack of scans. 

Message 30 of 33
latest reply