cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
28 REPLIES 28

Re: A Pathetic Serial Fraudulent Returns Article

“Retailers must offset the negative business impact of return fraud and abuse by increasing prices to consumers and by reducing costs — which too often means a loss of jobs,” according to a report by The Retail Equation.

And this is what is going to happen to EBAY.  Small sellers cannot sustain return fraud, so will leave ebay, go elsewhere or stop selling on the internet altogether.  Larger sellers will increase prices, maybe function with less help, increase shipping times, or leave EBAY altogether and build their own internet presence, with their own return policies.

It is truly unfortunate, that we live with people who game the returns system.  I think at some point it will be so bad, that even the larger, more expensive items retailers will stop doing returns with no questions asked.  You as a seller cannot keep raising your prices, and expect honest people to foot the bill for increased abusers.

Message 2 of 29
latest reply

I thought the article was truly eye-opening.  The article itself is not pathetic, the people comitting fraud or excessively returning are pathetic, and I might add, the hope(greediness) of retail sellers thinking returns will increase sales(possibly for honest buyers who return once in a great while), but never for serial returners, scammers, fraudsters.  Retailers are increasing costs for honest buyers, instead of preventing fraudulant returns in the first place!

Message 3 of 29
latest reply

I want to know why Ebay seems to encourage returns. One truly valid answer.

Message 4 of 29
latest reply

My returns have already exceeded 2017. Its june...
Message 5 of 29
latest reply

According to their stated "RESEARCH", it will bring more buyers to EBAY, if returns are free and easy.  Even the EBAY CS Reps have been brainwshed to believe this, and if you call about a buyer return , they will tell you how great of a seller you will be for this buyer by allowing a free return and refunding them, ALL AT YOUR EXPENSE!  Ebay is out nothing. They may even agree your listing is detailed and accurate, and to call them back once the item is in your hands, and if it is not the original itm to call back and they will be sure to help you.  Ha, that is a big fat lie.  As many have found out, they side with buyer.

You may attract more buyers this way, but unfortunately I believe smaller sellers will close up shop.

Message 6 of 29
latest reply

Clearly a form of cheating, which makes you wonder what other things they cheat at. Karma will catch up.

No different from shoplifting if you ask me.

Message 7 of 29
latest reply

Mine too.  Never in the 18+ years I have been selling, have I received the amount of cancels/return requests I have in the last 3 months!

Message 8 of 29
latest reply

@designforyou wrote:

I thought the article was truly eye-opening.  The article itself is not pathetic, the people comitting fraud or excessively returning are pathetic, and I might add, the hope(greediness) of retail sellers thinking returns will increase sales(possibly for honest buyers who return once in a great while), but never for serial returners, scammers, fraudsters.  Retailers are increasing costs for honest buyers, instead of preventing fraudulant returns in the first place!

Hi, yes, I meant the article showed how pathetic these scammers are.

I should have worded the title differently 🙂

Message 9 of 29
latest reply

That was a fascinating/sickening well-written article, thank you.

It seems to me if we meekly submit to abusive fraudulent buyers then we are part of the problem.

I had a "buyer" yesterday send multiple messages demanding I ship a small item w/o tracking to save on shipping.
I polietly declined. She/he had twice the feedback I have and both buys and sells so they should be well aware that tracking is our first line of defense. 

My daughter is dealing with a different buyer + seller this morning; she inquired about buying one of daughter's items and daughter replied with an offer.
However a different person bought the item in the meantime... and the original person expressing interest has (at this moment) sent 28 messages "inquiring" "bewildered" "schooling" "demanding" and now "threatening" daughter. Person says daughter should have told THE BUYER THAT ACTUALLY PAID that she'd get a refund since someone else was interested. Seriously? I told her, quit replying. 

@stuff4divas wrote:

https://nypost.com/2016/12/30/i-wore-my-wedding-dress-and-then-returned-it/

awesome-altered-apparel, check out my listings!
Message 10 of 29
latest reply

@designforyou wrote:

According to their stated "RESEARCH", it will bring more buyers to EBAY, if returns are free and easy.  Even the EBAY CS Reps have been brainwshed to believe this, and if you call about a buyer return , they will tell you how great of a seller you will be for this buyer by allowing a free return and refunding them, ALL AT YOUR EXPENSE!  Ebay is out nothing. They may even agree your listing is detailed and accurate, and to call them back once the item is in your hands, and if it is not the original itm to call back and they will be sure to help you.  Ha, that is a big fat lie.  As many have found out, they side with buyer.

You may attract more buyers this way, but unfortunately I believe smaller sellers will close up shop.

Ebay wants NUMBERS. The dollars are of secondary concern. That's why I always say a million Chinese pennies are better than a million American or Canadian dollars - because the million Chinese pennies equate to more sales NUMBERS than the dollars do. Ebay would rather have a million $1 sales than ten thousand $100 sales because it equals more SALES volume.  The only way to get that many low volume sales is to attract anyone and everyone, including fraudsters and scammers.

When so much focus is put on volume, the quality slips by the wayside. That's why buyer AND seller quality has tanked over the years.

To put it simply, Ebay wants to be the biggest, not the best.  I would much prefer them to be the best, but I have no say in the matter.  WE have no say in the matter.  We just have to cope by doing what we can to 1. attract buyers and 2. make a profit.  If we can't do that on Ebay then it's time to move on to someplace we can.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 11 of 29
latest reply

I have 3 going on right now.. One in her first message to me said "send me a return label" .. Said it wasn't what she wanted and eBay guaranteed her she would not have to pay a shipping cost to send back " I ask her for reason and she said I had bad customer service.. I have stopped called CS as it does nothing but make my blood pressure go up and I don't need that.. Just letting Ebay do it's thing, taking my money and waiting on the day when I can get all this sold or give away and leave this place for good.. I sell on two other sites and have no problems with either of them..
Message 12 of 29
latest reply

that is why i am on my way out.

Message 13 of 29
latest reply

to promote sales.
originally there were abnornal sellers who took advantage. now its predatoty buyers abusing it. ebay wants to be a trustworthy bis to the public.
IT IS NOT THEIR ITEM..
SO, THEY MAKE A COMMISSION OR FORCE RETUTRN AT YOUR COST.
THEIR BIGGEST FEAR, THE CC CHARGEBACK.

Message 14 of 29
latest reply

Oh my. I feel your pain.  bad customer service?  based on what? I would write up/then send a MBG abuse report.  Include her emails(hope it is on ebay) also.  She deservs to be on the Special Buyer List too. I would bet she has done the same thing to other sellers, believing she will never have a repercussion.  Maybe getting her on EBAYS MBG abuse report, will be enough for ebay to take notice(I know wishful thinking on my part).

You have an enormous amount of items listed. Good Luck with your sell off.

Message 15 of 29
latest reply