cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Beneficial is Chat to you!

I use to attend chat regularly - but have found that most of the questions asked aren't getting answered. I'm in no way blaming the blues as I think they do the best with what they have to work with - but they pass things along and weeks later  - we still don't see an answer.

It was concerning today to read that a question asked 2 weeks ago about how small sellers can piggy back on the July 15th crash sale still didn't have an answer. The sale is the 15th 5 days away - so any advice should have been given today at the latest.

I feel bad for the blues as no one seems to want to provide them with answers for the community they interact with. I haven't checked out Facebook and Twitter lately but will have to see if those platforms are the same or if more information is passed on to sellers and buyers using social media sites.

I know threads are being moved left and right here and it's more of a hassle trying to f/u on situations and helping people with threads moving to who knows what discussion area. Does Ebay want to close the boards all together and just concentrate on the Social Media aspect?

Thoughts?

Message 1 of 61
latest reply
60 REPLIES 60

After 10 years here have yet to go to the live chats. Have read the boards for years also & got the impression it's a waste of time. This is just based on what I've read from you guys here. Rarely are the questions answered right away but like you said Tuni, weeks go by & still no answers. Frustrating! Also most of their replies are fluff filled. Sounding nice, helpful, concerned for the person's issue but no substance. No true answer. That would just frost me if I had taken the time to ask a question. Bless all of you who hang in there & keep hoping something good will come out of the chats!!!

Message 2 of 61
latest reply

I find the Weekly Chats very valuable.  Getting an answer isn't always the goal.  Sometimes it is an effort to get a particular issue in front of the right team for resolution or action of some sort.  So I don't know that trying to evaluate the value of the Weekly Chat on how many questions are answered is the best way to do that.

I do agree that it can be frustrating when a question gets asked and no answer is forthcoming in a timely fashion.  It is further aggravating if you have to ask the same question is subsequent weeks because you didn't get an answer when you first asked.  I've experienced that.

But overall I think the Weekly Chat is a very good tool that is under utilized by many.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 3 of 61
latest reply

@tunicaslot wrote:

I use to attend chat regularly - but have found that most of the questions asked aren't getting answered. I'm in no way blaming the blues as I think they do the best with what they have to work with - but they pass things along and weeks later  - we still don't see an answer.

It was concerning today to read that a question asked 2 weeks ago about how small sellers can piggy back on the July 15th crash sale still didn't have an answer. The sale is the 15th 5 days away - so any advice should have been given today at the latest.

I feel bad for the blues as no one seems to want to provide them with answers for the community they interact with.

I'm sensing the same thing. Our own customer support people at my job had the authority to contact anyone necessary within our company in order to get answers to customer questions, and basically to act as a customer advocate within the company. Conversely, eBay contact people seem to get shut out and ignored more often than not, which is not their fault, but does hamper a lot of forward progress.

For example, back at the beginning of May, a revised Shipping label confirmation email came out which had lost virtually all its data, following a rather clueless revamping by a programmer who clearly had no idea what he was doing (e.g. the supposed link to the PayPal label payment instead brings up a Send Money to eBay window) and no guidance on what he was supposed to convey in the generated email.

It was reported in excruciating detail in the Weekly Chat on May 22 (here), followed two weeks later by a request for an update, which was promptly acknowledged (here), but has produced nothing of substance since then. Needless to say, the Shipping notification email remains as useless for recordkeeping today as it was when first pushed out back at the beginning of May. We are now approaching the middle of July.

Someone at eBay needs to go into Engineering and start knocking heads together, but I don't get the impression that the front-line first responders have any authority to push things along.

Message 4 of 61
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

@tunicaslot wrote:

I feel bad for the blues as no one seems to want to provide them with answers for the community they interact with.

I'm sensing the same thing. Our own customer support people at my job had the authority to contact anyone necessary within our company in order to get answers to customer questions, and basically to act as a customer advocate within the company. Conversely, eBay contact people seem to get shut out and ignored more often than not, which is not their fault, but does hamper a lot of forward progress.

For example, back at the beginning of May, a revised Shipping label confirmation email came out which had lost virtually all its data, following a rather clueless revamping by a programmer who clearly had no idea what he was doing (e.g. the supposed link to the PayPal label payment instead brings up a Send Money to eBay window) and no guidance on what he was supposed to convey in the generated email.

It was reported in excruciating detail in the Weekly Chat on May 22 (here), followed two weeks later by a request for an update, which was promptly acknowledged (here), but has produced nothing of substance since then. Needless to say, the Shipping notification email remains as useless for recordkeeping today as it was when first pushed out back at the beginning of May. We are now approaching the middle of July.

Someone at eBay needs to go into Engineering and start knocking heads together, but I don't get the impression that the front-line first responders have any authority to push things along.

From working with many eBay departments significantly over the last couple years... the sad truth isn't that they "don't have the authority to contact who is necessary". 

It's simply that eBay does not even have a department established to handle those questions or issues.

I was told straight up that the tech team and catalog teams are outsourced, and various CSR's have expressed discontent as all they could do is email them. That's the only communication anyone at eBay has with those teams, they use their internal software to email them. I actually have some emails that show the full format/communications between them. Aside from some flags triggered by their software, it's a simple email message.

I've also heard discontent where representatives in Utah have found legitimate issues, included videos and screenshots in the report of the problem, and the tech team rejects the case saying they "don't see any problems"...

Even on here, it took several days for a rep to find information about how basics on how search works, and the information they provided was not only inaccurate, taking 5 minutes of searching shows that the reality is far different from the information the CSR was given.

I met with some eBay managers in January, and when questioned on what they can do to help us, my answer was simple: "We need someone to go to for help, because we've been told too many times that eBay doesn't have a department or team to help with the issues we found".

So the last time, I surpassed CSR's and was connected to one of the Motors Sr. Managers. He reviewed our account and said he couldn't find any issues and wishes he had more information for us, and the best advice he had was to "check the community forum". 

Apparently forum members are more knowledgeable than anyone at eBay.

Even Senior Management is not able to find out information about how eBay works, they simply don't have anyone in charge of these things. The most important jobs are outsourced... Meaning the only people who really understand what is going on are not in communication with the core eBay team or eBay management. 

And if you have any experience with those teams, you know there's sometimes 6+ months before they even respond. Last time we worked with the Catalog team, CSR reps opened cases for us since we had no responses, we ended up having 4 cases open for over 6 months and absolutely no updates or responses on any of them. It took several weeks of contacting CS daily before they were able to get a response from the team... and then they processed the update we needed incorrectly. And it took weeks more before they did things properly.

Message 5 of 61
latest reply

@tunicaslot wrote:

I know threads are being moved left and right here and it's more of a hassle trying to f/u on situations and helping people with threads moving to who knows what discussion area.

Thoughts?

The mods always leave a breadcrumb when they move a thread. It shouldn't be too difficult to find a thread when it's been moved.

Of course, you already know the mods who move threads work for Kronos (fka Lithium) and the blues work for eBay, but just mentioning it as a reminder for those who may not be aware of the difference between the two.

Message 6 of 61
latest reply

True a breadcrumb is left - but that breadcrumb rolls off the board faster than you can shake a stick and why I think the boards have become ghost towns. Often a moved thread actually is informative and does convey information for those reading the selling forum. Lithium or not - the community leader of Ebay tells them what to do as I've learned this past year.

Message 7 of 61
latest reply

I think it's very beneficial. 

We get to be sure issues we can about at least reach some ears at Ebay........  doesn't always ensure anything gets done, but sure beats going round and round on the boards with varying info from CS.....

We do get answers on quite a lot of things I think......whether things are a test or new policy/change or whatever and that saves alot of angst even if the answers aren't immediate.  Certainly, somethings go unanswered, but the answers we do get are valuable.

Ebay has alot of structural management problems I think......the "everyone" has to approve changes, but "no one" tests the actual change before or after it goes in effect are probably the biggest....... The first delays corrections and the second is just pure sloppiness or outsourcing to those who know no better........for which there is no excuse.......  The payment problem surfaced in this wk chat is an example....... 

you are still able to make partial payments by clicking beside the "payment amount" on the new landing page. It is not clear that you can do so, and we've given that feedback to the design team for a future enhancement as it should be more intuitive.

(Message 33   https://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Chat-with-eBay-Staff/Community-Chat-July-10-1-00-pm-PT-General-...)

I think the Blues do quite alot with/for the members of these boards......and they deserve thanks as well as our recognition and acknowledgement that they can't do everything anyone wants, nor, in most cases, can they explain the reasons things are done the way they are.........

Message 8 of 61
latest reply

I have been reporting dozens or more a day to be moved, and the Lithium/Khoros mods seem to agree and move them.

95% of the posts in this forum don't belong here.
80% of the posts in Seller Hub forum don't belong there (apparently many think it is for chit chat or rants)
80% of the posts in Tools&Apps don't belong there.
10-20% of the posts in Technical Issues are not technical issues and don't belong there.

What the mods need to do is post stickies and lightly slap those who post in clearly incorrect forums to modify their behavior.

Message 9 of 61
latest reply

@berserkerplanet wrote:

I have been reporting dozens or more a day to be moved, and the Lithium/Khoros mods seem to agree and move them.

80% of the posts in Seller Hub forum don't belong there (apparently many think it is for chit chat or rants)
10-20% of the posts in Technical Issues are not technical issues and don't belong there.

What the mods need to do is post stickies and lightly slap those who post in clearly incorrect forums to modify their behavior.

ironically (to me) this thread doesn't seem to belong in this forum.  It's not a community platform issue.  Or am I missing something?

edit:  perhaps there are two issues in the original post and I ignored one of them...

Message 10 of 61
latest reply

OK maybe I should have put it this way:
For some of us, the appropriate category/forum might not be obvious.
Message 11 of 61
latest reply

This forum seems to have become the de facto location for discussions of the chat event, off the main highway (Selling), and out of the main noise stream.

I have consider it deeply, consulted my trusted advisers, and have decided in my magnanimity to allow for that grin

Rants about feedback, why eBay isn't fair to sellers, and all the things wrong with Seller Hub clearly do not belong here (clearly at least to me)
Message 12 of 61
latest reply

The Weekly Chat takes place on the Community Platform. It has its own board on the Community Platform. I'm not sure why a discussion about a thread (the Weekly Chat) that takes place on a discussion board of the Community Platform would NOT belong here. Which board would be more appropriate?
Message 13 of 61
latest reply

@tunicaslot wrote:

True a breadcrumb is left - but that breadcrumb rolls off the board faster than you can shake a stick and why I think the boards have become ghost towns.

You think the boards have become ghost towns because the mods are moving threads? Interesting.

I have my own opinion about why the boards appear to be less popular than in the past, so we'll probably continue to disagree about that.

Message 14 of 61
latest reply

@berserkerplanet wrote:

As someone else noted - I don't think that many know what Ebay considers the appropriate discussion board. I myself decide what to click on and what not to click on in the threads. I enjoy a thread that brings about positivity - like the one about what was your best buy in 2019. It was light hearted - not negative - and something sellers could discuss and learn of items to be on the look out for.

I find my time is more valuable than worrying about whether threads are in the right place.

And - yes - does seem that we don't agree on many things these days - but that's the way it is and what makes life interesting.

Message 15 of 61
latest reply