Did you mean: 

Community platform issues I'm monitoring - update as of 07/13

sheila@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Update as of 07/13, see bold text - Next update on 07/20

Hello Community!

Here are the issues that I'm currently tracking:

On the list:

1. Difficult to edit posts or report an inappropriate post. It only works after selecting edit after the 3rd or 4th time -bug has been replicated and this is now a work in progress. The support team has mentioned that Safari or the use of an external mouse might be the cause of this issue. No new updates, this one might take a while to solve.
  2. Error showing that this widget could not be displayed - listed as low priority with support. A potential fix has is being researched, there is no ETA on when the fix will be verified. 

Minor errors:

1. Emojis are too small. If you search for cat emojis and scroll to the bottom of the list, those emojis are hard to see when used in a post. This will likely not be solved for a while.  
  2. Some posts have the wrong creation date, though I suspect this might have to do with stale Community windows. Khoros is still researching and trying to replicate this issue, please update us if you come across this bug. 
  3. Post flooding error. Please let us know if you run into this issue again. 
  4. Hyper link in PMs. This is the issue where when sending a PM with a hyperlink the link is not highlighted unless you hover over it. A potential fix has been found and we are testing it.

Am I missing anything?  If I'm missing anything, please create a brand new post so I can easily track the issue and others can comment as well. The more folks that have the same issue, the easier it’ll be for me to build a case with the support team.

If you come across an issue on Community please note:

• The date and time that you ran into the bug
  • How long you have been active on Community during your browsing session or how long the page has been up on your browser but not being used. We suspect pages that have stayed idle for a long time are susceptible to errors.
  • The browser and operating system that you are using
  • Videos and screenshots are also extremely helpful
  • To avoid running into errors when using community make sure you refresh your page often.

Providing as much detail as possible helps me to help support in replicating the issue. Once support replicates the issue, then they can work on fixing the problem.

Thanks!

Sheila
Community Manager
eBay
Message 1 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

Re: Community platform issues I'm monitoring - update as of 03/30

Thank you so much tyler@ebay. Looks they have all been moved back now. Feel free to delete the #2 group. Thanks for all your help.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
Dalai Lama
Message 16 of 40
latest reply

helpful  ! thank you very much

Message 17 of 40
latest reply

sheila@ebay wrote:

1. Emojis are too small.

Emojis used to be the same height as default text. They're bigger than they used to be sheila@ebay.

Did Khoros change it even though it's still on your to-do list? 🤔

Message 18 of 40
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

sheila@ebay wrote:

1. Emojis are too small.

Emojis used to be the same height as default text. They're bigger than they used to be sheila@ebay.

Did Khoros change it even though it's still on your to-do list? 🤔

Support did make changes in our test environment yesterday, but I didn't sign off on changes to the Community yet.  Good catch! 😁 Now I have to go yell at someone (jk). 🤣

Sheila
Community Manager
eBay
Message 19 of 40
latest reply

Some members reported they were having problems with "invalid HTML" if they put an emoji in their post using the toolbar yesterday sheila@ebay. I couldn't replicate the issue (maybe because of different browser?) I thought the error might be tied to the change in emoji size.

This is a screenshot from @buyselljack2016

0-1650647168676.jpeg

Message 20 of 40
latest reply

sheila@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

😊 test 😑

Sheila
Community Manager
eBay
Message 21 of 40
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

Some members reported they were having problems with "invalid HTML" if they put an emoji in their post using the toolbar yesterday sheila@ebay. I couldn't replicate the issue (maybe because of different browser?) I thought the error might be tied to the change in emoji size.

This is a screenshot from @buyselljack2016

0-1650647168676.jpeg

It's possible. I'm finding error messages are due to stale Community pages. What I mean by that is that if you leave the Community post up, say for 45 minutes, then you type a reply and hit post, bam, error message. 

I was the biggest complainer to the support folks about error messages and then I tried an experiment and was refreshing my pages, before I started posting and the error messages have stopped. Though I'm certainly not discounting that there might be other issues.

Next week, I plan on posting about updating browsers. The support team is working on changes to improve SSO and one of the recommendations they have is to update browsers. More to come next week.

Sheila
Community Manager
eBay
Message 22 of 40
latest reply

Hi sheila@ebay. Regarding to jump to first unread post and your comment above:

"The behavior I don't like is that if you'd read the first two pages and come back to the post, it'll take you to the 3rd page instead of the 2nd page."

That behavior sounds correct to me. If you read the first 2 pages, then the first unread post would be at the top of the 3rd page. Why would someone expect it to take them back to page 2 if they already read that page?

Message 23 of 40
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

"The behavior I don't like is that if you'd read the first two pages and come back to the post, it'll take you to the 3rd page instead of the 2nd page."

That behavior sounds correct to me. If you read the first 2 pages, then the first unread post would be at the top of the 3rd page. Why would someone expect it to take them back to page 2 if they already read that page?

Say there are 15 posts per page and then you read the first 7 posts and then come back later, it'll take you to page 2. What about the other 8 posts? I would rather it take me to the page it left off.

I have a feeling that I'm not going to 'win' this one with the development team, but I'm going to clarify on Monday if this is a design mistake or working as intended.

Sheila
Community Manager
eBay
Message 24 of 40
latest reply

Ah, yeah, I get the annoyance. Based on how it functioned in the past, it was never designed or programmed based on where the page was left in a scrolling position - it was always based on last post showing when you opened a thread or page within a thread.

I'm happy this feature is functioning again. Thank you for staying on top of it, no matter how long it took them to fix it.

Message 25 of 40
latest reply

sheila@ebay wrote:

@wastingtime101 wrote:

Say there are 15 posts per page and then you read the first 7 posts and then come back later, it'll take you to page 2. What about the other 8 posts? I would rather it take me to the page it left off.

Is that definitely what's happening? i.e. If Page 2 was full when you last read it, then the next new post is going to appear on Page 3 anyway. If Page 2 was only half-full when you last read it, then you should be returned to its midpoint when further posts have been made.

Message 26 of 40
latest reply

The way I interpreted it @a_c_green is that this applies to threads that are longer to start with. Ex: a thread has 5 pages and you read a page and a half before you have to go do something else.

When you come back it will take you to page 3 instead of midway through page 2 because it's designed to look at what post was last made visible even if you didn't scroll that far.

Last read is essentially last displayed.

Message 27 of 40
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

The way I interpreted it @a_c_green is that this applies to threads that are longer to start with. Ex: a thread has 5 pages and you read a page and a half before you have to go do something else.

When you come back it will take you to page 3 instead of midway through page 2 because it's designed to look at what post was last made visible even if you didn't scroll that far.

Last read is essentially last displayed.

Wellll... The system is able to log which page you were last on, and when you return to that thread, it should be able to at least jump to the earliest post that's timestamped later than your last visit, if newer posts have appeared on that page.

I know that the system cannot tell what portion of the page you were looking at before you went elsewhere, but when you click on the topic again, it should be able to seek the earliest post on that page (or the next one) that was made after your last visit. If it simply tracks which page of the thread you were last reading, placing you at the top of the next page when you return could mean that one or more posts at the bottom of the previous page could be missed. It should have the capability of comparing your last activity in the thread with each post, not just each page, upon your return.

(I'm not entirely certain if we're agreeing or disagreeing here. 🙂 I'm just trying to keep my head on straight here over how the system should be able to find where you left off, at a per-post level.)

Message 28 of 40
latest reply

In a roundabout way I believe we are agreeing. The system is tracking per post, but when a thread has 5 pages before you start reading, the next post starts on the next page.

Message 29 of 40
latest reply

This is a message to tyler@ebay

Hello tyler@ebay. Thank you for your help with our group during the recent changes. In order for you to see the issues we were dealing with, you joined our group. Now that things have been worked out for the most part we would like to ask you to remove yourself from our group. The name of our group is Thriftstore Garagesale Frenzy and here is the link to the group. https://community.ebay.com/t5/ThriftStore-GarageSale-Frenzy/gh-p/g-442  Thanks again for your help. 

msbear624

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
Dalai Lama
Message 30 of 40
latest reply