cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"See full item description" Button

The "See full item description" button is one of the worst ideas eBay has ever implemented. I am a top rated seller and have been ever since the program was introduced. Part of what makes me a top rated seller is my big, beautiful pictures and my complete descriptions of what is included and what the condition of the item is. Now all of that is hidden and prospective buyers need to click another button to see the full description. I would be willing to bet that that button does not get clicked by over half the people that view the listing and that most of those that do not click it either do not see it or have no idea what it is for. I would also not be at all surprised if eBay sees a sharp increase in the number of item not as received cases because you are hiding the seller’s description of that item from prospective buyers. Let’s just put it in terms that management should be paying attention to: more item not as described cases means more man hours devoted to resolving these cases which in turn leads to more labor cost for eBay. Further, an increased number of item not as received cases leads to an increased number of buyers who had a bad experience on eBay and are therefore less likely to return to eBay. Less traffic leads to fewer bids which leads to lower final sales prices which leads to lower revenue for eBay from final value fees. So by hiding seller’s descriptions of the item they are selling from prospective buyers eBay is effectively raising the company's overall operating cost while lowering overall revenue.

Sellers please take a few minutes to let eBay know that you think this is a really bad idea and that it should be done away with. To by-pass all the misleading "Contact Us" links and send your message to someone who will actually read it please copy and paste the following into your browser's address window:

http://contact.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ContactUs&wftype=2004&rcode=GS=CU0751&subject=Suggestions+a... us

Message 1 of 195
latest reply
194 REPLIES 194

Re: "See full item description" Button

@satorihobby wrote:

Bullcrap!  All of those websites show a full item description when you select an item from a search.  ALL of them.   You might have to click something more to see warranty, reviews, instructions, etc.  But you  do not need to click anything extra to see the basic description.  

for a hose timer at WM

• 1 outlet for timed watering
  • Rain delay feature for water conservation
  • Manual bypass

Read more....

@satorihobby

Message 106 of 195
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@plumtree.ltd wrote:

The "See full item description" button is one of the worst ideas eBay has ever implemented. I am a top rated seller and have been ever since the program was introduced. Part of what makes me a top rated seller is my big, beautiful pictures and my complete descriptions of what is included and what the condition of the item is. Now all of that is hidden and prospective buyers need to click another button to see the full description. I would be willing to bet that that button does not get clicked by over half the people that view the listing and that most of those that do not click it either do not see it or have no idea what it is for. I would also not be at all surprised if eBay sees a sharp increase in the number of item not as received cases because you are hiding the seller’s description of that item from prospective buyers. Let’s just put it in terms that management should be paying attention to: more item not as described cases means more man hours devoted to resolving these cases which in turn leads to more labor cost for eBay. Further, an increased number of item not as received cases leads to an increased number of buyers who had a bad experience on eBay and are therefore less likely to return to eBay. Less traffic leads to fewer bids which leads to lower final sales prices which leads to lower revenue for eBay from final value fees. So by hiding seller’s descriptions of the item they are selling from prospective buyers eBay is effectively raising the company's overall operating cost while lowering overall revenue.

Sellers please take a few minutes to let eBay know that you think this is a really bad idea and that it should be done away with. To by-pass all the misleading "Contact Us" links and send your message to someone who will actually read it please copy and paste the following into your browser's address window:

http://contact.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ContactUs&wftype=2004&rcode=GS=CU0751&subject=Suggestions+about+selling&bcrumb=Help>Contact us

Hey everyone, I just wanted to step in and address some of the concerns raised in this thread. This is a test we have been running and will continue for a few more weeks. Since we introduced an item description for mobile last year to provide a quick summary fo the most relevant listing info, we've seen good results in a mobile context. This test affects a very small portion of buyers to see their experience with a full item description link on a desktop platform. To ensure the validity of results, short-term tests do not have the option for you to opt-out. Since only a small percentage of buyers are included, you should not see an impact on your sales as the great majority of your buyers will continue to have the same experience with seeing the full description up front. If there is a measurable adverse impact, we will discontinue the test. We will review the impact this has on the buying experience before making any possible changes in the future. 

Thanks for your feedback here in the thread and for those of you who used the Tell us what you think link on the eBay site. We take this into consideration when reviewing any changes!

See my post 87. I'm not in the test(thank God, or I wouldn't be bidding on anything), but somehow one linked item showed up with the dreaded link.

I have sent you an email to get some more details on this to pass along to the appropriate teams. Looking forward to hearing from you!

I responded. Glad you saw this one, seeing as the same basic post was yanked from another thread.

Thanks. Too bad it was a GTC listing and the auto-renewal seemd to have removed the problem. I am not one of the 'testees' - also glad I needed the extra 'e' in that word 🙂

@dhbookds wrote:

@satorihobby wrote:

Bullcrap!  All of those websites show a full item description when you select an item from a search.  ALL of them.   You might have to click something more to see warranty, reviews, instructions, etc.  But you  do not need to click anything extra to see the basic description.  

for a hose timer at WM

• 1 outlet for timed watering
  • Rain delay feature for water conservation
  • Manual bypass

Read more....

@satorihobby

The 'read more' usually just expands the description that was on the page in the first  place, just not shown. Not opening up a new window with only the description showing - without even a title or item #.

Desktop is NOT mobile!!! This is NOT the same. I go to desktop to get a full picture of things and for ease. It is a horrible idea

Message 109 of 195
latest reply

Also instead of tinkering and running tests PLEASE start smoothing out the site in general. Invest in the base first. Servers are not indexing, I have items with the search picture somehow being the 3rd picture on my listing as opposed to the primary one, pictures not showing up on mobile, items not being searched, etc... 

These are basic things that we PAY for with listing fees. It seems it is a contract - we pay you to display our items. If they are not displayed then ebay is failing on their side of the bargin. I dont pay McDonalds for a cheeseburger then walk out the door. Why are we agreeing to fees but not getting steady service or in some cases service at all. 

Message 110 of 195
latest reply

Evidently I am a buyer that is in this small test ... I see this button when using Firefox but not Chrome --- I hate it. How do I get out of this test?

You say:

If there is a measurable adverse impact, we will discontinue the test. We will review the impact this has on the buying experience before making any possible changes in the future.

How to you plan to objectively measure the impact of this test?

Message 111 of 195
latest reply

I write thorough descriptions so buyers know exactly what they're getting and so I can protect myself from "item not as described" claims.  If buyers don't realize they have to click an extra button to see what I've written, this could lead to them possibly thinking I didn't adequately describe the item.  This is such a bad idea from both the seller's and buyer's perspective!

Message 112 of 195
latest reply

Trinton, This test is...is...I dont even have words to describe how bad it is and how upset I am about it. I ONLY use a laptop and I now see it all the time. MY LISTINGS RELY ON MY ITEM DESCRIPTION!!! Quick, informitive and to the point....not having to open another freakin' tab to read MY discription!! My sales over the past 2 weeks have almost stopped. I have about 100 more items I needed to get listed. I haven't received any free listing promo's in the past few months as other people seem to be receiving....so I was considering opening an ebay store so I could get the 500 free listings a month..... But after seeing this....this.....SEE FULL DISCRIPTION BUTTON....I'm having second thoughts about the store and have even considered shutting my selling down for the time being. AS A BUYER, I HATE IT.....AS A SELLER, I HATE IT EVEN MORE!!! I used to love buying on ebay, but the people that run this place has taken the fun I used to have, away. Why cant you people leave well enough alone???? YOU'RE KILLING OUR SALES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 113 of 195
latest reply

I agree totally. My items for sale,and every item I look at to buy have this useless, annoying and unnecessary addition. Ebay say it's a test on a percentage of sellers, but I cannot agree as it's on everything I look at. A complete waste of time, opening a new tab each time you want to see what you have already chosen to see. Get rid of it Ebay,it's a waste of everybody's time,including that of your web designers.

Message 114 of 195
latest reply

@thebigman201 wrote:

I agree totally. My items for sale,and every item I look at to buy have this useless, annoying and unnecessary addition. Ebay say it's a test on a percentage of sellers, but I cannot agree as it's on everything I look at. A complete waste of time, opening a new tab each time you want to see what you have already chosen to see. Get rid of it Ebay,it's a waste of everybody's time,including that of your web designers.

Not all sellers are in this test because it is on the buyer side ... that is why you are seeing it on everything you look at .. you have been included in the test as a buyer.

Message 115 of 195
latest reply

"To survive this, will add a "Please Read Full Item Description Before Check Out"
in the Item Specifics."

That is if the platform does not 'do away' or 'hide' Item Specifics altogether.

Then to survive that - a photo of "Please Read or Click to Item Specifics/Full Description"

posted to one of the 12 pictures allowed...

-

Lucas

*still rollin' with the punches*

Message 116 of 195
latest reply

Just became aware of this Full item description button.....

Trying to adjust to all mobile hardware is NOT a good idea for Ebay.   Amazon, for me, is not another venue I'd use if a lot of EBaysellers "vanished" because of this new feature.

I used Amazon way before I tried EBay...  I was satisfied until I tried EBay.  With all the minimum amounts needed to purchase anything for free shipping it creates a "hook" for buyers to purchase other products.  😞     Ebay with individual products/sellers optioning for fee shipping or not is more realistic for a buyer.   Seems Amazon keeps making you pay more just to have certain "privledges" like with PRIME.  In essence your paying more, even when you don't need all the "privledges" have to offer.  Anothe "hook"!!!  😞

EBay is geared more for the individual buyer/seller and offers more attainable items. 

So adding another thing to do to find out description of an item, particularlly a used item, makes it more time consuming.  The full description as it is now for an item is perfect!    Eliminate this new "button" feature, which even now exists I as a buyer was totally unaware of until I tried to buy a "used" record.   Book descriptions should stay as they are too.

Message 117 of 195
latest reply

Had that "see full item description" box on my listings as well - Until I cleared browser history - Back to normal - Now - To just find a way to get the word out to millions of buyers to clear their browser history *_*
Message 118 of 195
latest reply

Yipee??? The dreaded required "full item description " button has disappeared!!!
Message 119 of 195
latest reply

Thanks.  It  could be useful in future.  I still have not seen it so far, but who knows?  Why is it there in first place?  Do you have a desktop?  I've heard destktops pretty much do not deal with this new test feature, yet....

Message 120 of 195
latest reply