cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pita buyers

i have a new, sealed Bluray for sale on ebay.

Potential Buyer: Is this adult-owned (no smoking, pets or kids)? Is this the Target Exclusive?

Thanks!

Me: adult owned but with lots of smoking, lots of pets and lots of kids. Target edition.

Potential Buyer: Are you joking? I ask because one time I got a blu ray that reeked of smoke and other odors that I couldn't keep it.

Me: [buyer blocked].

seriously, its not an angora sweater or a plush baby toy.   how ridiculous!

Message 1 of 60
latest reply
59 REPLIES 59

Re: pita buyers

Thats terrible. I do smoke but I smoke outside, most of my inventory in storage so absolutely not smoking in there and i own two chihuahuas which are absolutely never in the area where I keep items. I am in process of quitting again and when I wasn't smoking I could smell it immediately. If someone asks me I am super upfront, with exactly what I said. There is no smoke around my items ever, my youngest has asthma and would NEVER smoke in house anyways and I am aware some people have severe allergies to these things, exactly why I don't have pets or smoke near any of my inventory. I honestly have never had a complaint since I make sure there is no smoking around even the packing stuff I use to ship items.
I had someone ask me on another venue these questions if I smoked and if I had pets and I answered yes and reassured her that none of the packages she would receive would have any of these issues. She declined anyways from the purchase. But I am ok with that and understand. I think she has bad experiences in the past. I have seen the negs on others feeback about how badly something wreaked of smoke, so that was my number one rule when I started and stuck to it.
See my step son going towards my storage area / trailer out back and I caught him immediately, I actually scared him cause I screamed NO CIGARETTES WHILE ENTERING!!!! LOL
I just know if I received a package like that I would be highly upset. I have only sold a handful of clothing items and those were triple baged after wash with the pure All soap that you can use on baby clothes and then put them in a box and in the trailer they go which is also very secure and no smells getting in there. I just dont mention it in my ads or listings because I do keep all items away from the dogs and smoke. But if someone asks I am upfront. ONly had the one buyer decline but was very nice about it and I completely understood. At least the OP was upfront and good the buyer asked a head of time before having a problem after the fact. I much rather have buyers ask questions first escpecially if it is something I forgot to ad to listing or I didn't think about putting in the listing. Saves everyone a headache.
Message 31 of 60
latest reply

You are so right!! Exactly why I am quitting again and I would never ever smoke in my house or car for simple fact I have children and two little dogs, I don't want to jeopardize anyone else with my disgusting habit. Good news is, i am down to smoking may 2-3 a day and the fact I smoke outside deters me from wanting to smoke period. I would never do that to my family or send out packages that been around smoke. As a smoker I know how absolutely gross it is and would never do that to someone else.
Message 32 of 60
latest reply

There are times that I have gotten items from an estate sale and I have no idea if there was smoke around these items and that is out of my control and I am not as sensitve to the smell so I won't notice it, in those cases I do febreeze and also in that case especially if it clothing or a material that would suck up smoke smell, I add that to listing. I can't give an honest answer if it was ever around smoke but i can reassure that there is no smoking in my home or in trailer I keep all my inventory. I dont smoke in my car either at all ever. I have a child with asthma and dogs I would not jeopardize any loved ones to my bad habit and definitely not going to do it around inventory and jeopardize the buyer to it.
Message 33 of 60
latest reply

BLOCK ALL BUYERS WHO ASK QUESTIONS YOU DON'T LIKE!

That leaves more buyers for me.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 34 of 60
latest reply

@dinpavent0 wrote:
There are times that I have gotten items from an estate sale and I have no idea if there was smoke around these items and that is out of my control and I am not as sensitve to the smell so I won't notice it, in those cases I do febreeze and also in that case especially if it clothing or a material that would suck up smoke smell, I add that to listing. I can't give an honest answer if it was ever around smoke but i can reassure that there is no smoking in my home or in trailer I keep all my inventory. I dont smoke in my car either at all ever. I have a child with asthma and dogs I would not jeopardize any loved ones to my bad habit and definitely not going to do it around inventory and jeopardize the buyer to it.

One of my standard disclaimers in all listings is that we cannot guarantee that the item has been kept in a smoke and/or pet free environment.  When dealing with used items as often are found in estate auctions, it isn't possible to know, let alone guarantee, the type of environment an item has been exposed to its entire existence. 

When it comes to objects having odors, I'm reminded of my daughter, a huge St Louis Cardinals baseball fan and a fanatical collector of items associated with her favorite play, Yadi.  She won a charity auction for one of his game used hats. (I'm not going to even tell you the amount she paid for that hat.  Geez! What she paid for that hat.)  But the first thing she did when it arrived was to put it to her nose and take a big whiff.  When I asked her what she was doing she simply told me that she was just making sure that it was a genuine game worn hat by checking for the odor of perspiration.  Makes sense though.  

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 35 of 60
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

You can use Febreeze on an item with a smoke scent, or place outside for awhile, being sure it won't rain or snow, and the fresh air will remove the smoke scent.

No it won't, unless your nose is deaf. It'll just smell like smoke and Febreze.

Actually I was able to remove smoke smell from a fire on items very successfully with Febreeze; no smoke smell at all~and I am very sensitive to smoke smell~thus no deaf nose.  One was a coat.  

Message 36 of 60
latest reply

Personally, I really wish that people that bathed in perfume would realize that there are people allergic to that, as well.  It will permeate jewelry with stones like turquoise, it won't come out of clothing or other fabrics and not all perfumes or colognes are even pleasant to be around for very short periods of time.  Perhaps if they bathed more often instead, ....  Smiley Surprised

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 37 of 60
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

You can use Febreeze on an item with a smoke scent, or place outside for awhile, being sure it won't rain or snow, and the fresh air will remove the smoke scent.

No it won't, unless your nose is deaf. It'll just smell like smoke and Febreze.

Actually I was able to remove smoke smell from a fire on items very successfully with Febreeze; no smoke smell at all~and I am very sensitive to smoke smell~thus no deaf nose.  One was a coat.  

I prefer not to use any type of odor hiding products.  If the item has an odor that it has picked up over its lifetime that is part of its character.  

Message 38 of 60
latest reply

Not many of those out there today.
Message 39 of 60
latest reply

Why are these particular people even buying online? ******************************************************************************************************** With disclosure, it's a sale.  

Message 40 of 60
latest reply

Sometimes even if  you put in your auctions in bold text that your home contains pets, chain smoking bookies and maybe mildew, someone will fail to read this, purchase from you and then want to return because you know, your item STINKS!

You saved yourself and potential buyer a headache.

Last summer I had to give up on my old car; bought a nice red one at a great price.  It was about $2,000.00 less because, wait for it, the previous owner kept it a year  and smoked cigars in it.  The dealer had  detailed the hell out of it but eau de stogie remained.  So I bought some odor remover from a crime scene cleaner supply (cadavers stink so I figured, why not) and spritzed every evening for 3 weeks to get rid of it.  The cleaner itself had no real odor by the way!

Message 41 of 60
latest reply

I love it when I buy a lifetime's collection of recipes in a box or cookbooks from an estate sale, that have been stored in a kitchen where Dove (or some other long time brand) dish washing soap was used.  That scent  has permeated everything in the kitchen over the years.

Message 42 of 60
latest reply

@thecollegefund wrote:

I love it when I buy a lifetime's collection of recipes in a box or cookbooks from an estate sale, that have been stored in a kitchen where Dove (or some other long time brand) dish washing soap was used.  That scent  has permeated everything in the kitchen over the years.

Years ago we lived back on the farm and had a combination propane and wood burning cook stove.  Nothing like the smell of hickory to give a country kitchen the aroma of home. Smiley Wink

We also had a smokehouse to cure our own meats.   

Message 43 of 60
latest reply

I should point out that I don't have kids, I don't smoke and my items are kept in a room that is closed off from the rest of the house (i.e., my cats aren't urinating on my stock).

I am a former smoker, but I have a hard time believing a new/sealed blu-ray would retain cigarette smoke to the point of being offensive, but I blocked the buyer because these are the types that usually come back with, "You said it had no odors but I can smell blah blah blah on it."

I am of the school that if you are so sensitive to odors, ebay is not the shopping venue for you.

No thanks.  Buh bye.

Message 44 of 60
latest reply

@rpalma wrote:

Maybe you don't understand that something that is "new" isn't "new" if it smells like cigarette smoke?

Or if it smells like cat pee?

I wouldn't ask that question on ebay because experienced sellers would already have had negatives if they were selling like that, but I sure ask about smoking and cats before I drive 30 miles to a house sale.

i dont smoke and if a cat peed on the item, it would not be graded as new (in fact, it would go in the garbage).

I also get buyers asking if a used CD/CD-Rom game has scratches.  I don't even look at the item, I just respond, "Yes, it has scratches.  It's used."

Message 45 of 60
latest reply