cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

insured packages and USPS policies... what are they?

shipped a $300 insured package to Florida.

was left on the front porch today...

recently was a thread on this board about sig conf...

the thread went on about insured packages.

1 poster had mentioned that the USPS requires a signature for anything insured for more than $200...

even without sig conf...

a signature from anyone in the house.

was it a false statement?

the USPS really takes that much of a chance with packages now?

i mean the recipient is a friend of mine.

only bad thing that could happen is theft from the front porch.

just texted her, hope she gets home really soon.

what bothers me the same friend, recently had a package showing delivered when it never was...

her post master pretty much told her; too bad it shows delivered.

she was lucky.

the package was mis-delivered and the wrong recipient was honest enough to return it.

at the end she got it.

doesn't the USPS leave notices anymore?

thanks...

Message 1 of 54
latest reply
53 REPLIES 53

Re: insured packages and USPS policies... what are they?

I experienced the same similar situation, but a much lesser value.  The carrier put my package in the wrong neighborhood lock box, tracking said delivered but it wasn't.  Very hard to get the USPS to listen, the carrier himself assured me he remembered putting it in the box.  Yeah, he did - but down the street in the wrong lockbox.  Thankfully the nice person, also an online seller, brought my package to me.  Not particularly responsive to your question.  But still.  The "delivered" scan is not always accurate.

Message 16 of 54
latest reply

@neneland2012 wrote:

I experienced the same similar situation, but a much lesser value.  The carrier put my package in the wrong neighborhood lock box, tracking said delivered but it wasn't.  Very hard to get the USPS to listen, the carrier himself assured me he remembered putting it in the box.  Yeah, he did - but down the street in the wrong lockbox.  Thankfully the nice person, also an online seller, brought my package to me.  Not particularly responsive to your question.  But still.  The "delivered" scan is not always accurate.

well the delivery scan is accurate...

the package was delivered, just not to u...Smiley Sad

same thing happened to the same friend.

another package showed delivered but not to her.

the wrong recipient was honest enough and returned the package.

so at the end she got it...

at first, when she talked to her postmaster, she was told;

too bad, it shows delivered...

she talked to the postmaster again when she got it.

the postmaster had nothing to say.

just shrugged it off...

this is why i was worried about my package being left on the front porch.

she had told me a few weeks ago about this issue...

i am glad that overall the USPS does a great job.

i have shipped well over 1000 packages within the last year and only 1 got lost (so the buyer said)...

actually i am surprised the loss is not more than that.

today on my way to the USPS, stopped at my mail box...

weird house i live in...

it is a 4plex...

i live on a hill...

my address and mail box is on 1 street (top of the hill).

but my entrance is on another street (bottom of the hill)...

so getting my mail is a walk...

the mailman left a poster tube for 1 of the tenants...

so much for common sense...

it is the monsoon season in SF...

the chance of raining is always high in the afternoons...

well had to run to the USPS.

on the way back thought i would check if the tube was still there.

the tenant picked it up...

hope that whatever was inside wasn't wet...

it didn't rain hard but it sprinkled...

anyway good night.... already late...

Message 17 of 54
latest reply

@wfloridafinds wrote:

@runaround1111 wrote:

USPS is not responsible for thieves stealing packages. Once it is delivered it is the responsibility of the homeowner. If your friend lives in a crime area I would suggest telling them to contact their local PO and tell them to not leave packages and instead leave a notice for pickup, It's a common sense thing.

u know what my question has been replied to, already...

and i don't need a lecture...

what i said earlier was just an opinion/statement.

no amount of arguing would change my mind/opinion.

not we have the right to disagree, but...

it is the carrier's choice to leave a package unattended on a front porch, not mine and not my friend....

my opinion is (which is not for debate for i can sense from this thread it would be an endless chat);

common sense would be to leave a notice.

the mail delivery people there, know very well what kind of neighborhood it is.

i paid close to $20 to have this package shipped and delivered but NOT to be left on a front porch.

if a package doesn't fit in the mail box (and this one didn't) they should leave a notice, period.

PS; my friend got the package as i mentioned earlier so it is all good.

doesn't mean i have to agree with such practices...

There are many ways to prevent this happening.

As a sender, choose Signature Tracking.

As a home owner, provide a large enough mailbox to hold your packages, Provide a container to hide packages in that are too large for the mailbox, Put in a hold for pick-up order, rent a PO Box.

Message 18 of 54
latest reply

@wfloridafinds wrote:

@runaround1111 wrote:

USPS is not responsible for thieves stealing packages. Once it is delivered it is the responsibility of the homeowner. If your friend lives in a crime area I would suggest telling them to contact their local PO and tell them to not leave packages and instead leave a notice for pickup, It's a common sense thing.

u know what my question has been replied to, already...

and i don't need a lecture...

what i said earlier was just an opinion/statement.

no amount of arguing would change my mind/opinion.

not we have the right to disagree, but...

it is the carrier's choice to leave a package unattended on a front porch, not mine and not my friend....

my opinion is (which is not for debate for i can sense from this thread it would be an endless chat);

common sense would be to leave a notice.

the mail delivery people there, know very well what kind of neighborhood it is.

i paid close to $20 to have this package shipped and delivered but NOT to be left on a front porch.

if a package doesn't fit in the mail box (and this one didn't) they should leave a notice, period.

PS; my friend got the package as i mentioned earlier so it is all good.

doesn't mean i have to agree with such practices...

Have received packages from USPS, FedEx, UPS, etc  left at our front door for  ions, can't  ever recall a written  note stating  your package is at the front door or we  are holding - come get it.  People that are  inclined to steal stuff are not confined to "rough" neighborhoods.  They seem to be  just about everywhere.  Our  PD refers to those folks as "side walk shoppers".

What  would happen if the thieve stole the  package  and this note you want  or the wind blew the  note away or a dog ate it.  No where in USPS/UPS?FedEX policy says if you pay $20.00 or any other amount for  shipping  is anyone entitled to having a written notification be given to the recipient that a  package was delivered. The most one can hope for is the delivery  person rigngs the  door bell and the dog  barks (our does & we didn't even  have to train her to do it).   Come to think of it, the  tracking number  does give you all the info you need  plus more and in fact it shows what time of day it was delivered and one  can be anywhere, especially if one has  one of those "smarter than  me phones" to access the  delviery status at any time they want & get advanced notification the package is Out For Delivery - that should be enough even  if you paid $20 for postage.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 19 of 54
latest reply

@wfloridafinds wrote:

shipped a $300 insured package to Florida.

was left on the front porch today...

recently was a thread on this board about sig conf...

the thread went on about insured packages.

1 poster had mentioned that the USPS requires a signature for anything insured for more than $200...

even without sig conf...

a signature from anyone in the house.

was it a false statement?

the USPS really takes that much of a chance with packages now?

i mean the recipient is a friend of mine.

only bad thing that could happen is theft from the front porch.

just texted her, hope she gets home really soon.

what bothers me the same friend, recently had a package showing delivered when it never was...

her post master pretty much told her; too bad it shows delivered.

she was lucky.

the package was mis-delivered and the wrong recipient was honest enough to return it.

at the end she got it.

doesn't the USPS leave notices anymore?

thanks...

For future reference, not quite true.. If the recipient is willing to go the extra mile and raise enough of a stink to file a claim and supply an affadavit they never received it

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 20 of 54
latest reply

Just as an aside, I'm sure pretty soon the package carriers will have a way for you to sign up for text alerts on your packages when their GPS shows within a mile or 1/2 mile or so of your address so if you are around, you can come out and get it, or if you aren't around, call your neighbor to pick it up. It wouldn't be that hard to implement in this day and age.

Of course anything is possible, the logistics  to do so may be a bit of a challenge, espcially when the daily deliveries  are loaded on the  carrier's truck  by about 9 am each  delivery day (at least our carriers are) locating the where abouts of  each  carrier & package is in real time  could be a super challenge.  Traffic issues & vehicle break down are adn issue to dontent with as well.    Here is what  the daily volume  of the USPS looks like. https://about.usps.com/who-we-are/postal-facts/one-day-by-the-numbers.htm.  Add to these the number from UPS, FedEx etc. 

Recall how well  a government entity traced those guns during the  Fast & Furious' program.

Might be  easier IF Amazon is succesful with their  drone delivery project - but they will have to contend with the FAA (right now they ain't too happy with the hobby drone fliers), Mother Nature and  her pop-up violent thunder storms, ligtning strikes, Texas/Oklahoma dust storms,  tornadoes/cyclones, Nor' easters & the avid duck/goose hunters  just  sighting in their Long Tom 10/12 gauge shot guns.

Not a naysayer as a young guy I alwasy believed that man would travel into outer space after watching every episode of Flash Gordon.  Right now USPS has to figure out how to  work  more  efficently and do it profitably w/o continuing to raise rates.

@d-k_treasures wrote:

Just as an aside, I'm sure pretty soon the package carriers will have a way for you to sign up for text alerts on your packages when their GPS shows within a mile or 1/2 mile or so of your address so if you are around, you can come out and get it, or if you aren't around, call your neighbor to pick it up. It wouldn't be that hard to implement in this day and age.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
Message 22 of 54
latest reply

USPS, FedEx and UPS of course will not leave a written note when they deliver a package. We leave notes when we ATTEMPT to deliver a package. FedEx and UPS have forms called door tags that have a sticky back. USPS has the form 3849 a tan/peach colored form that is 3"x5" that will be left in your mailbox with that days mail. Because they are either stuck to your door or in your mailbox it is unlikely (unless you have goats, see next paragraph) that it would go missing.

True there is some crime everywhere. Even here, dang goat reached in while I was unloading feed and grabbed 2 letters from the stack of mail I had just pulled out of my mailbox. One was something from the Trump campaign and I was very worried it would make her sick (as the sight of his face turns my gut). I got about half back (much more than anyone that fell for Trump U ever got back. 

Bottom line is you know your area, if you can not provide a safe place for packages you should make on or make arrangements to pick up at the carriers location.

As for ringing the doorbell. Unless we need to collect a signature or funds WE ARE NOT TO RING OR KNOCK.  People sleep , people have babies that sleep, people have dogs that go ballistic if the bell is rung. So standard across all carriers is IF YOU DO NOT NEED TO YOU DELIVER AS UNOBTRUSIVELY AS YOU CAN.

I don't understand your fixation of a $20 price point. 

Message 23 of 54
latest reply

@lja440 wrote:

As for ringing the doorbell. Unless we need to collect a signature or funds WE ARE NOT TO RING OR KNOCK.  People sleep , people have babies that sleep, people have dogs that go ballistic if the bell is rung. So standard across all carriers is IF YOU DO NOT NEED TO YOU DELIVER AS UNOBTRUSIVELY AS YOU CAN. 

Um, not to put too fine a point on it, but our experience has been that every delivery person who's dropping a package on our porch will ring the doorbell before leaving. Certainly they never stick around unless there's an actual signature to be collected; generally it's just ring-and-run. (The dogs take care of actually notifying us when we're elsewhere in the house.) That includes not only our regular USPS carrier but also any and all substitutes, plus FedEx, UPS, you name it.

We have a curbside mailbox, but if the item(s) won't fit in it, then they either walk the packages across the lawn and up to the porch, or (in the case of our regular USPS carrier) turn in the driveway and motor on up to the house that way. (I like seeing the USPS truck turn in the driveway, because I know I'm getting a package that day. Smiley Happy )

Message 24 of 54
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:
... our experience has been that every delivery person who's dropping a package on our porch will ring the doorbell before leaving....

I'm sure that experiences differ in various locations.  In a dozen different places I've lived over the decades, no USPS employee has ever rung my doorbell except (as lja said) if it's necessary to collect a signature or postage due.  

FedEx and those newfangled Amazon guys don't ring, either.  The regular UPS guy does, because I asked him to.

Message 25 of 54
latest reply

WF..

The  PO  DOES    not  leave notices---unless  the  package has Signature  Confirmation  on it---and there is no one  home  to sign for it.  From what you said---you did NOT  purchase Sig Confirmation  for this package   It sounds  as though you thought Insurance  would come with Sig.  Confirm....but   apparently,  it does not always come with  that requirement.     I presume  you did however  have  Standard  Tracking on this  item.    Therefore  Tracking must have shown  on-line  Delivery. 

Then  it appers the package was  stolen off your friend's  porch.  Smiley Sad

Message 26 of 54
latest reply

@couldabeenworse wrote:

The carrier naturally has no idea whether he's holding a package worth $300 or $5.

One would think that when he scans the package, it could/would/should reveal the insured value.

The carrier's scan doesn't reveal any of those details about parcels.

When the barcode is scanned, it will prompt for a signature if necessary, or prompt for delivery status if no signature is required.  Carriers scan the barcode to update the delivery status, not to receive information on the parcel.

Message 27 of 54
latest reply

The  shipping  lable  just  says INSURED that  is enough for the  carrier to know - their daily job is to deliver the mail to the  correct address, scan it delivered, if tracking applies, watch out for dogs & mail eating goats. But just  like me I did not get all 100% on my test grade  in school and  college which  means I made some  mistakes along the  way - heck even if one received  all 99% grades, they made at least  one mistake.

The value displyed t o teh carrier just might  tempt a  carrier to  become  one of  those "side walk shoppers"  too if the value is big enough.  On occassions some  USPS employees do get busted too.

@couldabeenworse wrote:

The carrier naturally has no idea whether he's holding a package worth $300 or $5.

One would think that when he scans the package, it could/would/should reveal the insured value.

Message 28 of 54
latest reply

@johnrj1226 wrote:

The  shipping  lable  just  says INSURED that  is enough for the  carrier to know - their daily job is to deliver the mail to the  correct address, scan it delivered, if tracking applies, watch out for dogs & mail eating goats. But just  like me I did not get all 100% on my test grade  in school and  college which  means I made some  mistakes along the  way - heck even if one received  all 99% grades, they made at least  one mistake.

The value displyed t o teh carrier just might  tempt a  carrier to  become  one of  those "side walk shoppers"  too if the value is big enough.  On occassions some  USPS employees do get busted too.

@couldabeenworse wrote:

Yes the label just says insured. no indication of how much it is insured for. Frankly if you insured with a 3rd party we wouldn't even know that unless a signature is required, and that could be any value if Signature Tracking was purchased..

It's funny about the mail and I do have places where I have been asked to put packages up away from dogs.  Even without them asking I do try to put packages out of reach of dogs because even if they don't rip into them they will often pee on the boxes. 

I thought I had seen just about everything then this happened At my own house.  By the way the goat seems to be OK 

Message 29 of 54
latest reply

USPS postal carriers should NEVER leave a package on a doorstep without a signature--that is NOT the way that package should have been delivered. Bad move on the carriers part. Report it.

@wfloridafinds wrote:

thanks for the info...

good to know...

Message 30 of 54
latest reply