cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

insured packages and USPS policies... what are they?

shipped a $300 insured package to Florida.

was left on the front porch today...

recently was a thread on this board about sig conf...

the thread went on about insured packages.

1 poster had mentioned that the USPS requires a signature for anything insured for more than $200...

even without sig conf...

a signature from anyone in the house.

was it a false statement?

the USPS really takes that much of a chance with packages now?

i mean the recipient is a friend of mine.

only bad thing that could happen is theft from the front porch.

just texted her, hope she gets home really soon.

what bothers me the same friend, recently had a package showing delivered when it never was...

her post master pretty much told her; too bad it shows delivered.

she was lucky.

the package was mis-delivered and the wrong recipient was honest enough to return it.

at the end she got it.

doesn't the USPS leave notices anymore?

thanks...

Message 1 of 54
latest reply
53 REPLIES 53

Re: insured packages and USPS policies... what are they?

@lja440 wrote:

Yes that includes leaving it on the porch. As to the rain, if it is raining or soon going to rain then it should be placed to protect it from weather. If you leave it sit out for sevaral days then yes, your bad not mine. 

I along with FedEx and UPS often deliver to this one home on my route. His packages are ALWAYS large and heavy (mine are usually 62#) he has a large wrap around porch and attached uncovered deck. Packages can sit there for up to 2 weeks at a time. I often move UPS and FedEx packages from the deck to the covered porches along with mine. NOT FUN as lifting them from the ground is worse than out of my back hatch. 

He has never complained about the packages that have gotten wet as the sub I did have also left packages on the deck and it did rain. I asked him if anything was damaged once. He replied that nothing but a bag of dog food and the dogs didn't mind it being a bit soggy. It was his fault that he didn't take them in over the weekend.

who's talking about letting an item sit in the rain for several days?

1 rain in Florida or even here (just 1 hour even less) and a package is shot...

why would i live a package for 2 weeks out on my porch and then dare blame the usps?

u know u twist everything...

not even worth my time conversing with u...

Message 46 of 54
latest reply

@wfloridafinds wrote:

will call my postmaster in the morning and see what she knows.

Good idea. While your at it, talk to your carrrier, they are the ones who leave your packages instead of pickup notices. Tell them for now on to leave a pickup notice and you will drive to the post office whenever packages arrive. Problem solved.

Message 47 of 54
latest reply

won't quote ur reply, the reply with all the quotes is way too long...

u might realize soon or later that many posters do not like small fonts and lack or paragraphs...

just read 1 poster comment about it on another thread just a few minutes ago...

in any case i didn't mean to offend u.

u took it the wrong way...

it was just an explanation for i couldn't reply to all the points u made in ur reply...

thanks so much for all ur suggestions...

have a good night...

Message 48 of 54
latest reply

@johnrj1226 wrote:

With eBay and/or Pay Pal as  long  as the seller has a tracking number that shows delivered to the registered address they are  covered too.

i know that...

been here long enough.

it doesn't make it right though.

whenever such topic comes up, opinions are split.

some will say like u, u have tracking u r covered...

others will say that a seller is responsible till the end.

will check the new threads about it and see what is being said there...

Message 49 of 54
latest reply

@runaround1111 wrote:

@wfloridafinds wrote:

will call my postmaster in the morning and see what she knows.

Good idea. While your at it, talk to your carrrier, they are the ones who leave your packages instead of pickup notices. Tell them for now on to leave a pickup notice and you will drive to the post office whenever packages arrive. Problem solved.

problem solved?

doubt it will make a difference.

but just want to hear what my Postmaster has to say about it...

talk to my carriers?

see u read what u want to read.

never said i had a problem here.

u might want to re-read my OP...

nevertheless, in SF i never see my carrier...

as i explained in another reply, i live on a hill.

mail is delivered on my street address.

but my entrance is on another street...

mail can be delivered in the morning or in the afternoon.

would have to wait the whole day to see a carrier.

as for ABQ, I never see the same carrier twice in the same week...

most i never see again...

and forget about Florida... i live inland.... so there i have to have a po box...

Message 50 of 54
latest reply

While I agree with eBays policy - as long as the seller get the product delivered in the saem descripition as described & in a timely fashion (save  acts of nature) they have fulfilled their obigation  - no reason for a refund.   The buyer has and obligation to  provide a safe place to hide/receive  packages - if a buyer has an issue of peopel  stealing off there porch  they  need to get law enforcement involved just like they do when the "shopper' breaks & enters threir  house/home.  i heara pit bull works justt fine. To those that  don't agree I quote Bill Gates "Life is not fair get used to it" because there is no  Utopia.

PS:  Have read many people on these boards  comment less than  positively  on people that use  as bold font or  large font or all  caps or a combination of the three than comment that  the font is too small - you are a first.

PSS  What??  Seems comflcitign from here

would have to wait the whole day to see a carrier.

as for ABQ, I never see the same carrier twice in the same week...

most i never see again...

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 51 of 54
latest reply

@wfloridafinds wrote:

@lja440 wrote:

Yes that includes leaving it on the porch. As to the rain, if it is raining or soon going to rain then it should be placed to protect it from weather. If you leave it sit out for sevaral days then yes, your bad not mine. 

I along with FedEx and UPS often deliver to this one home on my route. His packages are ALWAYS large and heavy (mine are usually 62#) he has a large wrap around porch and attached uncovered deck. Packages can sit there for up to 2 weeks at a time. I often move UPS and FedEx packages from the deck to the covered porches along with mine. NOT FUN as lifting them from the ground is worse than out of my back hatch. 

He has never complained about the packages that have gotten wet as the sub I did have also left packages on the deck and it did rain. I asked him if anything was damaged once. He replied that nothing but a bag of dog food and the dogs didn't mind it being a bit soggy. It was his fault that he didn't take them in over the weekend.

who's talking about letting an item sit in the rain for several days?

1 rain in Florida or even here (just 1 hour even less) and a package is shot...

why would i live a package for 2 weeks out on my porch and then dare blame the usps?

u know u twist everything...

not even worth my time conversing with u...

Well if you live in a area with a lot of rain then why wouldn't you provide a place to safely put your packages?

What it comes down to is I along with most other mail carriers have 500 or more stops per day. We are mail carriers. Not your parents or your nanny.  We have a job to do, deliver the mail. It is up to every single customer to provide a suitable and safe place to put their mail. Be that a well maintained mailbox, a gang box paid for buy your HMO  fee or rent, or a PO Box. 

I am not twisting anything. I'm referencing one of my customers acting in an adult manor and taking responsibility for his inaction.

Message 52 of 54
latest reply

@wfloridafinds wrote:

or perhaps it is an inconvenience for the carrier having to take back so many packages to the USPS location?

And an inconvenience to the resident to have to go all the way to the post office to pick up their package.  I don't own a car.  The post office is a mile away.  I don't want to be forced to walk two miles in the heat/rain/whatever sort of weather we may be having to pick up a package (that might very well be heavy) that could easily be left on my front porch.

Message 53 of 54
latest reply

Message 54 of 54
latest reply