cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how could a winning bid go DOWN when the auction ended?

I just sold an item and actually print screened it periodically  all day today before it ended so I have proof what price it was sitting at up until about an hour before it ended.

It sold for good $ and I'm very happy but it was at  250.00 bucks all day ( has been for a couple days now ) until it just ended and the winning bidder actually got it for 245.00 .  HOW does that happen ?

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: how could a winning bid go DOWN when the auction ended?

Go to your listing and look at the "bid history" .  Likely you will see a "retraction".  The posts are timed stamped. 

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Retractions can only be made within an hour of the bid in the last 12 hours so it doesn’t make sense it would be at $250 all day and only drop at the end?

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

Well, since you're using a posting id and we can't see the bid history for the auction, it's pretty difficult to determine what happened. At least post a screenshot of it.
Message 4 of 18
latest reply

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth wrote:

Retractions can only be made within an hour of the bid in the last 12 hours so it doesn’t make sense it would be at $250 all day and only drop at the end?

I agree and no...no bid retraction was made.

It just kinda " tanked" a little bit  at the end .  If it had been a lot more, say ~ a 20 buck drop then I would be kind of p.o.'ed.

Bid history is now  showing  the 245.00 as the highest bid by the earlier proxy bidder but when VIEWING the auction page it was showing the price as 250.00.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

@tatertot2u57 wrote:

Bid history is now  showing  the 245.00 as the highest bid by the earlier proxy bidder but when VIEWING the auction page it was showing the price as 250.00.

Thanks for the synopsis, but a screenshot--including automatic bids--would sure be nice to see.

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

@tatertot2u57 wrote:

HOW does that happen ?

Perhaps ebay's tech brain trust can venture a guess.

Nothing that you can do at your end to solve the puzzle.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

What about a NARU'd bidder.  Would it show in the bid history, or do they simply disappear?

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote: ... What about a NARU'd bidder.  Would it show in the bid history, or do they simply disappear?

Those show up as a cancellation at the bottom of the bid history, 

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@ittybitnot wrote: ... What about a NARU'd bidder.  Would it show in the bid history, or do they simply disappear?

Those show up as a cancellation at the bottom of the bid history, 

you're right...not the problem here.  This simply does not make sense but not fretting over it for now, what I am fretting about is the buyer has not paid yet.  slight_frown

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

Is it possible the current bid was $245 and $250 was the minimum to place a new bid? At that price point there is a $5.00 minimum bid increment.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

beats the heck outta me, still scratching my head about this one.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

At least you only lost $5...

Could've been a whole lot worse.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

@flakar48 wrote:

At least you only lost $5...

Could've been a whole lot worse.

yeah and like I say, I'd been ticked if had been ~20 or so more .

Ok, so am looking at the bidding history page  now and of course at the top it says this : Only actual bids (not automatic bids generated up to a bidder's maximum) are shown. Automatic bids may be placed days or hours before a listing ends.

Her last bid shows the  $ 245.00

But when viewing the auction all day yesterday ( and the day before) like any other potential  bidder  would see it , it CLEARLY had the price in green at $250.00.

What am I missing here folks ?

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

@tatertot2u57 wrote:

I just sold an item and actually print screened it periodically all day today before it ended so I have proof what price it was sitting at up until about an hour before it ended.
----------
What am I missing here folks ?

Post a screenshot.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply